Your thoughts on Ivan Barbashev, so far

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Im less concerned with the lack of production considering he has averaged only 10:40/game, very little PP time and has played mostly with Reaves, PRV and Upshall.

I am worried that they bring Lehtera back, and he becomes another skilled, young player who wont have an opportunity to develop in a scoring role.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Lose Barbie to KHL and keep Lehtera

OR

Keep Barbie and trade/buyout Lehtera

HMMMMM, this seems like a very easy choice.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I thought the 3rd period against Ducks was the best he has played. Really noticeable on both ends of the ice, winning puck battles, playing smart. Hopefully that is sign of his growing confidence and he can build on this.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
For some reason, I thought Barbashev had been listed at 6 ft. 1 190 lb. I see that he is listed as 6 ft. 180. That's smaller than I had expected. He needs to get a lot stronger, and up to 200 lb.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
For some reason, I thought Barbashev had been listed at 6 ft. 1 190 lb. I see that he is listed as 6 ft. 180. That's smaller than I had expected. He needs to get a lot stronger, and up to 200 lb.

Ehhh the size doesn't worry me all that much. He works hard on the puck, size hasn't hindered at all imo.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
You might see Craig Berube on Yeo's staff next season instead.

I fear he may sign on with another club, maybe as a HC. He's working wonders with our prospects.

Barbashev and PRV have some chemistry. Jaskin also looked a lot better on that line as well (all three have played together often either in minors or in juniors). Could be a good line 3rd line next year, assuming Jaskin plays to his potential (that's a big assumption).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Alright his offense is coming around again. He's shown enough offensively for a 21-year old playing bottom 6 minutes. I like.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I think Barbie has gotten consistently better since he first got called up to the Blues. He just seems to be a really complete all around player - he's physical, tenacious, hockey IQ seems there, is a fast skater, can make a solid pass and has a decent shot. It's only been the last few games that I noticed how speedy he is out there.

Would be a safe bet he'll at least be a good 3c but I think the 2c potential is definitely there.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
He made a nice pass to Bouwmeester on the Sanford goal last night, right on the tape as Bouw was in stride.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
i think he is going to develop better from NHL experience. And there is NO way we lose him to the KHL with the lack of C options and the TOI he is getting since the call up...

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Like what I see. He's our 3C next year IMO. 2C potential. Bulk up Barbs.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Definitely becoming more noticeable and making some good plays. Keep it up!

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Keep playing him....he's far better than the alternative. Made some great plays last night.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
After we drafted him I watched a video of QMJHL coaches talking about him, and they all talked about his high compete level and desire to win the puck back. I honestly didn't see a ton of that when I watched Wolves games, but it's evident in the NHL. He wants that damn puck and he's going to battle to get it. To me, his production is fine considering his line mates and his ice time for the majority of games. MPS and Jaskin(especially MPS) have played well recently, but they're still not exactly offensive juggernauts. You're not going to pile up the points with those guys on your line. It's also evident looking at his production history that he takes a bit to get accustomed to the league before he starts scoring. His production consistently rises each year. I think he starts next year as the 3C, puts up about 25-30 points, and then 2018-19 we see him as that two-way 2C capable of 45-50 points. I really think he's an NHLer right now. I wouldn't send him to the A again, especially since he almost signed with the KHL last offseason. Show him he's an NHLer and hopefully he will stay.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Barbashev on a line with Fabbri could be fun. Both guys with speed and tenacity, and Fabbri brings the skill that could benefit Barbashev production wise.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
After we drafted him I watched a video of QMJHL coaches talking about him, and they all talked about his high compete level and desire to win the puck back. I honestly didn't see a ton of that when I watched Wolves games, but it's evident in the NHL. He wants that damn puck and he's going to battle to get it. To me, his production is fine considering his line mates and his ice time for the majority of games. MPS and Jaskin(especially MPS) have played well recently, but they're still not exactly offensive juggernauts. You're not going to pile up the points with those guys on your line. It's also evident looking at his production history that he takes a bit to get accustomed to the league before he starts scoring. His production consistently rises each year. I think he starts next year as the 3C, puts up about 25-30 points, and then 2018-19 we see him as that two-way 2C capable of 45-50 points. I really think he's an NHLer right now. I wouldn't send him to the A again, especially since he almost signed with the KHL last offseason. Show him he's an NHLer and hopefully he will stay.

I agree. He's already proven he can play adequately in The NHL. He shouldn't go back to The AHL. His game will progress better against NHL competition (and The Blues need him to replace Lehterä, if all goes well).

I think he should score 30-35 points on The Blues' 3rd Line next season, and 40-45 points in his 3rd season, perhaps bouncing between the 3rd and 2nd Lines.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I have to say that the more games Barbashev has played, the better he has looked. Initially looked like he didn't want to make any mistakes and was hesitant at trying to make plays at first (probably like any young player getting a look in the NHL) but he has been looking better the more he plays. Not afraid of contact, even though he needs a little bulking up, seems to have good hockey awareness on the ice and is starting to make plays. I think he definitely has shown that he deserves an extended look on the Blues.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Id rather see Fabbri on the top line with Stastny and Tarasenko.

Me too. Fabbri showed great chemistry at times with Tarasenko this season. I wanna see more of that. Also, until the team has a better center, Stastny needs to stick with Tarasenko.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If Walman, Blais and Poganski make it to the NHL, the 2014 draft could go down as Bill Armstrong's symphony. He picked out some stellar talent.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Obviously, he needs to stay in the NHL b/c he clearly is one of our top 4 center options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad