Your the GM, What Changes do you make to the lineup this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Horrible! Brother - blink a couple of times.
If it doesn't help, close your eyes and relax.
Be strong in spirit - I'm a prolific author. :laugh:
Use paragraphs. Ditch the BOLD and underlines.

It’ll make reading your posts and awful ideas much easier. ;)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For fun on Capfriendly, roughly what I'd do:

View attachment 439260
View attachment 439261

Thomas for 3X3.5
Chytil for 3X3.25
Shesterkin for 2X4
Nemeth for 1X2.75
Gauthier for 1X1.15

No and no. I like Dylan Larkin a lot and I know we’re stocked with RD but I’m absolutely against trading Nils Lundkvist. He’s going to be a big star and potentially on the level of Fox. I’d move Kravtsov before I’d move Nils.

Reactions: Chytilmania

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Use paragraphs. Ditch the BOLD and underlines.

It’ll make reading your posts and awful ideas much easier. ;)

Brother - you limit the freedom of creativity.
Why are you so cruel to me? :(
You wrote - and awful ideas.
My creativity is not going anywhere.

I'm a prolific author
. ;) :laugh:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
upload_2021-5-27_8-13-11.png

Neal has 2 years left @ 5.75 mil. We can afford him next year and, if necessary, we can buy out the final year of his contract ($1,916,667 for 2 years). I don't expect him to score much, but he can provide some grit on the 4th line.

Koskinen has 1 year left @ 4.5 mil. We can afford him as the backup for 1 year.

De Haan has 1 year left @ 4.55 mil. He can play both sides and will hopefully help stabilize the 3rd pair.

Replace Strome with Danault 4 years @ 6 mil. Sign Chytil 2 @ 2.5 mil and Shesty 5 @ 4.8 mil.

upload_2021-5-27_8-37-31.png

We currently have $34,462,301 committed to 7 players for 2022-23. With these moves, that would go up to $56,245,635 for 13 players, leaving us 25 mil to re-sign Zib, Fox, Kakko and Kravtsov, plus 5 more players to get to 22. Add one of Robertson or Jones, sign a cheap backup, a couple 4th liners and a cheap 7th dman. It should be doable. Maybe we replace Zib instead of re-signing him.

In 2023-24, Neal will be gone and hopefully the cap will start going up again. Chytil, Laf, Miller and Barron will need new contracts. Kreider and Trouba will be in the final year of their NMCs, so if we can make it work that year, we can potentially move one or both the year after. Maybe we can find a way to move Trouba a year earlier if Schneider shows that he is ready.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Other than the obvious move of adding lundkvist

I’m adding all adults

rinne chara cizikas and maybe krejci if I can move buchy.

I’m torn on Strome. Loved his season but he’s extremely one dimensional and I think we need a better two way player to follow behind mika. Krejci Chytil Cizikas behind Mika might do it for me. Even if I give up some pts.

Reactions: Leetch3

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
View attachment 439583

Neal has 2 years left @ 5.75 mil. We can afford him next year and, if necessary, we can buy out the final year of his contract ($1,916,667 for 2 years). I don't expect him to score much, but he can provide some grit on the 4th line.

Koskinen has 1 year left @ 4.5 mil. We can afford him as the backup for 1 year.

De Haan has 1 year left @ 4.55 mil. He can play both sides and will hopefully help stabilize the 3rd pair.

Replace Strome with Danault 4 years @ 6 mil. Sign Chytil 2 @ 2.5 mil and Shesty 5 @ 4.8 mil.

View attachment 439593

We currently have $34,462,301 committed to 7 players for 2022-23. With these moves, that would go up to $56,245,635 for 13 players, leaving us 25 mil to re-sign Zib, Fox, Kakko and Kravtsov, plus 5 more players to get to 22. Add one of Robertson or Jones, sign a cheap backup, a couple 4th liners and a cheap 7th dman. It should be doable. Maybe we replace Zib instead of re-signing him.

In 2023-24, Neal will be gone and hopefully the cap will start going up again. Chytil, Laf, Miller and Barron will need new contracts. Kreider and Trouba will be in the final year of their NMCs, so if we can make it work that year, we can potentially move one or both the year after. Maybe we can find a way to move Trouba a year earlier if Schneider shows that he is ready.
Oilers would never do that trade in a million years.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

How about 1 million and 1?

They get rid of 2 contracts, add a good player in Buchnevich and upgrade in goal. Yes, I'm sure they'd be very reluctant to give up Holloway, but they are getting considerable value in return.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
How about 1 million and 1?

They get rid of 2 contracts, add a good player in Buchnevich and upgrade in goal. Yes, I'm sure they'd be very reluctant to give up Holloway, but they are getting considerable value in return.
Giving up one of, if not your best prospect and another good prospect (the first round pick) is a lot for a contract dump. Buch is going to get paid likely around 4.5-5M as well and if they want to lock him up long term it will cost more since it goes into his UFA years.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
I would kick the tires on a trade with Vancouver for Miller and Roussel for Buch, with potentially giving up a lower asset for retention on Roussel. Roussel can actually take regular shifts and would be good as a stop gap on the 4th line. Miller can play center and helps the depth there. He is also good on face offs.

The only free agent defenseman I would go after is Oleksiak. I don't know if you can get him on a short enough deal. I would be fine with an overpay if it keeps it that short.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm of the thinking that Gallant can be the guy that makes Gauthier a really great top 9 forward for us .
He’s not going to have a spot unless Buch is traded, but I could see where your going. I think Gallant would be an excellent choice to coach Gaut as well

Reactions: leetch99

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
@GAGLine watching a lot of Habs games, Phillip Danualt is not a second line center. 3rd line good defensive player, but that is it and he is going to be asking too much for his worth in my humble opinion.

Reactions: CLW and bl02

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Can't we just stick to NYR tradition and overpay for some vets that just don't work out? Maybe Stastny at $8.25M or Getzlaf at $9.5M?

Also, maybe get Danault at a bargain after a really bad season.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
Danault - My biggest concern with this team is future cap issues. I don't see a world where we have Zib, Kreider, Panarin, Trouba mixing with the eventual monster contracts that Fox, Shersterkin, Laf, and Kakko could pull down. How could we add a contract like Eichel to that mix without unloading one or more of them? So for that reason I would much rather have a guy like Danault that would cost nothing but cap space and is one of the best defensive centers in the league. And for the record, I would MUCH rather have Barkov than Eichel if we went down that route.

Avery - I think we need an Avery type player on this team. This team has way too many games or periods where we looked flat. I remember during the Avery years that the teams record was WAY better when he was in the lineup. He was also on a team that was considered soft, with the Czechs and Nylander. I think a guy like him that can snap our team out of a daze is really beneficial.

Captain - Clearly the org doesnt think Kreider and Zib are captain material, and I agree with them. I think the org sees Laf as our future captain. It would be nice to get a proven veteran leader for 2-3 years that has a history of success in the playoffs. Someone with a bit of an edge is a plus. But I have no idea who that is. And that type of player would belong in the top 9 which we have no room currently.

Chara - I read the Rangers offered Chara a contract but he went with Washington. So I am not confident he would come here now. But he brings the team an edge, leadership, and fills a glaring hole.

I cant keep up the NHL so its hard for me to name specific players, but these are the type of players that I am looking for if I am Drury.

Reactions: Off Sides

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
@GAGLine watching a lot of Habs games, Phillip Danualt is not a second line center. 3rd line good defensive player, but that is it and he is going to be asking too much for his worth in my humble opinion.

I concur. Signing Danault would be a major mistake.

I've watched Danault this spring/playoffs and I am not a fan. He is a reverse version of Strome. I'd rather sign Strome because he has chemistry with Panarin than Danault, who in my book doesn't drive play, doesn't add sandpaper/grit enough for the money he will ask (other teams are in the UFA C hunt too). Danault is no fix and would become a problem later on with the contract.

I think it would be a mistake to pursue a UFA C at this point. I don't like the offerings atm and if the signing is a mistake it creates a real headache. I'd rather take a look at a younger C with upside because if the fit doesn't work it's still fixable. Any move now has to be made with the cap of the real window in mind starting 2-3 years from now. The team has already made some long term cap decisions that limits it's flexibility. When is, say, Aho UFA?

The team needs to fix the balance of the C position. There is no need to do so immediately this summer, but the issue cannot be left too long either or the moves will be forced by Zib's UFA status etc.

Reactions: Off Sides

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I thought the same at first look but the Neal contract is a massive problem for the Oilers in that he's a 6 million dollar 12th forward, and Buchnevich would instantly be their 3rd best forward. They get a goaltending upgrade too. I feel like Holloway is not a player that's realistically available though.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Cap stuff

Seems to me that excluding Buch, Strome, like they are gone and no cap came back.

Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, Lindgren = ~29M

They have Shesty and Chytil to sign, = ? (I'd guess like 6 to 8M)

So like 35-37M in 6 players

Next summer is where I think the bigger cap hits come into play

Zbad, Fox, Kakko, Krav. That seems like 18-22M

If so ~53-58M in 10 players.

Add in the buyouts, IR wiggle room, and a backup and I feel like that is somewhere about 60M in those 11-12 players.

~20M left to field 11-12 more players is not a lot of cap room left.

Assuming they keep the entry levels, Laff, Miller, Jones, Barron, at 925K each, another 3.7M

So like give or take a bit, 16M left for 8-9 players.

Assuming they have some less expensive guys like Rooney, Blackwell, Bite that they had this year, another ~2.2M

~14M left for 5-6 players.

Again assuming some of those 5-6 players are cheapish, entry level or cheap signing, say 3M for 3 more players. (Richards, Lundkvist, Robertson, just for examples sake)

11M left for 2-3 players by 2022-23 (and that is without Buch/ Strome)

My point being, the next off-season after that they will have Laff, Miller, Jones, Barron to extend (or their replacements, maybe Lundkvist, Richards, Robertson too) and the bridge they gave out this summer to Chytil will also maybe be ending.

I just am not sure I see their ability to sign or even add in cap hits that are very expensive if those contracts run through that. It's not like they get cap space by trading lower cap hit players out.

My take away, grabbing someone like Thomas is a good idea in terms of cap structure, and acquiring any cap hit(s) that go two years or longer, which are above say 4M in total is probably going to mean them scrambling to move out cap when it comes time to extend Laff/Miller/Lundkvist/Richards/Robertson assuming they are not bridging all of them, and even if they are replacing them it can't be for bigger cap hits)

Counting on them being able to move away from Panarin, Trouba, Kreider in the next three years seems pretty iffy to me. Nor am I super optimistic the cap rises all that much if at all between now and then.

What I'd do, be very careful and look for entry levels players or those who ended them recently who were or can be extended to inexpensive bridge deals even if those players have some question marks. Using Buch and Strome to try to get them.

Reactions: NYSPORTS and CLW

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I would kick the tires on a trade with Vancouver for Miller and Roussel for Buch, with potentially giving up a lower asset for retention on Roussel. Roussel can actually take regular shifts and would be good as a stop gap on the 4th line. Miller can play center and helps the depth there. He is also good on face offs.

The only free agent defenseman I would go after is Oleksiak. I don't know if you can get him on a short enough deal. I would be fine with an overpay if it keeps it that short.

Oleksiak will make UFA only if the Stars can't make the cap work, they have Heiskanen to sign too eg. If he makes it to UFA there will be plenty of competition so he won't come cheap, even more so if he accepts a short term contract.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No and no. I like Dylan Larkin a lot and I know we’re stocked with RD but I’m absolutely against trading Nils Lundkvist. He’s going to be a big star and potentially on the level of Fox. I’d move Kravtsov before I’d move Nils.
I cannot see both Lundkvist and Schneider being here for too long. Lundqvist has more trade value and Schneider seems to have a game that the Rangers are looking for.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Didn't want to start a new thread for this (or maybe I should), but first I am studying everyone else's roster.

When I look at the Rangers, I only see 6 forwards and 2 Dmen who are worth protecting in the expansion draft. There has to be teams with either 8 F's (or more) or 4D's (or more) they would want to protect and will hate to lose for nothing. Yes, they could offer Seattle a pick to not select a player, but they may also be willing to trade the player for cheap just to get back something, rather than lose for nothing or have to give up something to keep.

For example, Tampa up front has Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Palat, Gourde, Johnson, Cirelli, Killorn, Maroon. On D, McDonagh, Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, I have not looked to see which of those HAVE to be protected due to clauses. They going to lose 1, so can't hurt to call and see if you can steal 1 or 2. Then again, that is a total of 13, so they could try to trade 2 F's and 1 D and lose someone else that won't matter. OR, just accept they losing 1 and keep the other 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad