Your teams head coach, grade him.

Grade the job your Head Coach based off of last year & TC so far.

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Thats exactly what I wanted to say and how I have graded him...I have still a little bit hate in me cause the decisions he made during the play ins and that includes Smith starting in game 1...In the RS there is not much to complain.

RS: A-
Playoffs/Playins: E
Makes overall: C

He is doing the same thing again to start this season. With this being a shortened season a fast start is critical. The Oil were something like 14-5-2 when that line was together. He may be making the same mistake again to start this season although the added depth may fix that. My take is that McD is going to be top 5 in soring regardless of who plays with him. Give him Kassian and someone that is not a total scrub and is good on D. His line will still carry the play and the Drai line will kill it. If the Oil go 3 and 7 to start I would fire Tippets ass for being too stubborn

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
He is doing the same thing again to start this season. With this being a shortened season a fast start is critical. The Oil were something like 14-5-2 when that line was together. He may be making the same mistake again to start this season although the added depth may fix that. My take is that McD is going to be top 5 in soring regardless of who plays with him. Give him Kassian and someone that is not a total scrub and is good on D. His line will still carry the play and the Drai line will kill it. If the Oil go 3 and 7 to start I would fire Tippets ass for being too stubborn

I hope his line management work and its okay for me to give him 3 or 4 games but if it doesnt work the media will hopefully ask every game why he didnt went back to the DYNamite line...and maybe he is forced to do so.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hynes - C

He was pretty much flailing when he replaced Laviolette. But Laviolette had been flailing a long time himself. Luckily some of Hynes' flailings happened at a time when our goaltender played better, so we won a wee bit more and we snuck into the play-ins. Where we were promptly ousted by a weak and flailing team.

So uh, the track record is tiny and not yet impressive. But be that as it may, I'm eternally optimistic and he seems to have the right ideas so far in camp, and he's got some new players and new assistants, and who knows, maybe things will work out. :dunno:

I've always been an easy marker. :oops:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Quinn gets a C.

I think he’s going to get sacked after the year if things don’t improve. I don’t think in season he will lose his job because he’s a Gorton/Drury hire and they will give him every benefit of the doubt.

He caused the DeAngelo debacle by scratching him for absolutely no reason, and he hasn’t done a great job with the first round picks we’ve selected since the rebuild started. None are developing that well. He’s also a very bad tactician. He’s known for his motivation skills, but I don’t even think that’s a strength.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I give Bruce an A.

He has flaws like all coaches, but he's got the most out of the team with holes in it. Especially since our GMs can't get a damn winger for Krejci. Him and his staff also have a tremendous defensive system. Plenty of young guns have done well and even overachieved under him (Grzelcyk, Clifton, Kuhlman for a season). He definitely plays a part in Zboril and Lauzon looking stellar this year.

With that said, some of his 3v3 OT choices and how the team plays in OT is baffling and he likes Sean Kuraly a little too much.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Bones gets a B.
From when he took over last season to now.

Most of last season we suffered through Montgomery busted ass system. Which meant several good games followed by several bad games. Including a limping into the playoffs ( largely thanks to the pause)
Once Bones got the chance to make tweaks he was able to rectify some of the biggest weaknesses of Montgomery's system. Scoring being chief along them. That said the sample size of those changes is still really small.
And he's got the typical veteran bias that most coaches have.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Keefe D-

First year head coach, While at times we outplayed Columbus. The end result is we lost and our best players once again did not make a difference. You can't blame the goalie when the team doesn't score a goal. They where often outworked and lost individual battles. While having the clear edge in skill.

Training Camp C

I really like the 3rd line. But unless the big 4 buy in and want to win. It really doesn't matter what the Coach does.

3rd best NHL record since he became Leafs head coach... That deserves D-?

And I do blame the goalie. He has to just once be the best goalie in a series. Never happened.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
3rd best NHL record since he became Leafs head coach... That deserves D-?

And I do blame the goalie. He has to just once be the best goalie in a series. Never happened.

The talent on the leaf's roster is pretty good. Incase you haven't noticed. It's kind of hard to blame the Goalie against Columbus. The team not scoring, losing one on one battles. We got beat by an Actual well coached team. You ever notice that trend? What this team did against Boston or Washington does not matter as Keefe was not the coach.

Now i see what Keefe is trying to do. For example putting Tavares against McDavid against Edmonton in OT was so Brilliant. Our offense is neutered and now relies on the PP in order to win games. We still come out of most games where big chunks of the game we are stuck in our zone. We are still losing one on one battles.

On the positive he has reduced our shot's against. It of course hasn't really improved our GA. Our PK is worse. But we have a really good PP that has been carrying us in games. We still haven't had a single game where we can say we where honestly the best team. We did have one period against Calgary though :)

Considering the talent that is on the Leafs, a D- was more then fair. So far this season that grade has not changed. The leafs are a very talented team and there winning on Talent and the PP not because of Keefe. Oh and Keefe is not the PP coach so shamefully he can't even take credit for that.

So what exactly are we supposed to give him a higher mark for? Winning close games while being outworked for most of game? The playoff success last year? I really am confused on what exactly merits Keefe getting a really good passing grade. We are a very talented team that is winning on talent not because of coaching. NYI is a team that wins because of coaching and structure.

The last time i can honestly say the Leafs where well coached. Was 15-16 we finished dead last. I could see the difference what a system and a coach could do. For example that team has the same GA as this team, we lost so many one goal games that season. Kadri the growth he made in that season was unbelievable. We had so much hope going into the next season as we had talent coming in. We then made the Playoff's barely the next season with a lot of growing pains with our youth. But the talent was there and we could all see it. But we had a coach that could not adjust and his ego and all the other crap he was doing got in the way of a very promising team.

This season we are winning those games and that is great and all. When i see us start to dominate teams on a nightly bases. As we should with the talent we have on this roster then I will say we are well coached. Look at Montreal, I'd say looking at just the rosters we have the better roster. When you watch them play it's exciting and you can see they are being well coached. The players has fully bought in and are playing as hard as they can. Can you honestly say that about the Leafs under Keefe? Cause i can't. We are winning on talent not because we are a good team. Maybe it will happen I don't know. I really do hope it happens though :) It's why i watch every game. I want the Leafs to do well I've been waiting since 93 for the Leafs to win the cup. I really do hope Matthews and Marner find success in the playoffs. They are my Favourite leaf duo since Gilmour and Clark.

Sorry it's kind of jumbled mess and i repeated some things. I got high in between paragraphs and i mean every paragraph lol :) I tried to edit it and i couldn't bring myself to Deleting some of it. With all those losing we have done over the years. I also think it's what drives most fans nuts is how horrible we play in our end and how good we can play when we want to. Doing a line change while in the offensive zone while not giving up possession you can see how much talent we have in the line up. Maybe the Losing has jaded my opinions. But the talent we have seems to always under perform instead of overperforming.

I will say this though and it's the reason my grade didn't go down. I feel more comfortable in a close game this year. When McDavid scored that highlight reel goal and made the score 3 to 1. Normally i would have to turn the tv off and go smoke a couple and calm down. As before that would have burried us and i feel we would have been blown out normally. Instead we tied up with in minutes. That has improved. But we still can't figure out how to keep the pedal down though. So there is hope in Keefe i just need to see the results before i go gah gah :)

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
The talent on the leaf's roster is pretty good. Incase you haven't noticed. It's kind of hard to blame the Goalie against Columbus. The team not scoring, losing one on one battles. We got beat by an Actual well coached team. You ever notice that trend? What this team did against Boston or Washington does not matter as Keefe was not the coach.

Now i see what Keefe is trying to do. For example putting Tavares against McDavid against Edmonton in OT was so Brilliant. Our offense is neutered and now relies on the PP in order to win games. We still come out of most games where big chunks of the game we are stuck in our zone. We are still losing one on one battles.

On the positive he has reduced our shot's against. It of course hasn't really improved our GA. Our PK is worse. But we have a really good PP that has been carrying us in games. We still haven't had a single game where we can say we where honestly the best team. We did have one period against Calgary though :)

Considering the talent that is on the Leafs, a D- was more then fair. So far this season that grade has not changed. The leafs are a very talented team and there winning on Talent and the PP not because of Keefe. Oh and Keefe is not the PP coach so shamefully he can't even take credit for that.

So what exactly are we supposed to give him a higher mark for? Winning close games while being outworked for most of game? The playoff success last year? I really am confused on what exactly merits Keefe getting a really good passing grade. We are a very talented team that is winning on talent not because of coaching. NYI is a team that wins because of coaching and structure.

The last time i can honestly say the Leafs where well coached. Was 15-16 we finished dead last. I could see the difference what a system and a coach could do. For example that team has the same GA as this team, we lost so many one goal games that season. Kadri the growth he made in that season was unbelievable. We had so much hope going into the next season as we had talent coming in. We then made the Playoff's barely the next season with a lot of growing pains with our youth. But the talent was there and we could all see it. But we had a coach that could not adjust and his ego and all the other crap he was doing got in the way of a very promising team.

This season we are winning those games and that is great and all. When i see us start to dominate teams on a nightly bases. As we should with the talent we have on this roster then I will say we are well coached. Look at Montreal, I'd say looking at just the rosters we have the better roster. When you watch them play it's exciting and you can see they are being well coached. The players has fully bought in and are playing as hard as they can. Can you honestly say that about the Leafs under Keefe? Cause i can't. We are winning on talent not because we are a good team. Maybe it will happen I don't know. I really do hope it happens though :) It's why i watch every game. I want the Leafs to do well I've been waiting since 93 for the Leafs to win the cup. I really do hope Matthews and Marner find success in the playoffs. They are my Favourite leaf duo since Gilmour and Clark.

Sorry it's kind of jumbled mess and i repeated some things. I got high in between paragraphs and i mean every paragraph lol :) I tried to edit it and i couldn't bring myself to Deleting some of it. With all those losing we have done over the years. I also think it's what drives most fans nuts is how horrible we play in our end and how good we can play when we want to. Doing a line change while in the offensive zone while not giving up possession you can see how much talent we have in the line up. Maybe the Losing has jaded my opinions. But the talent we have seems to always under perform instead of overperforming.

I will say this though and it's the reason my grade didn't go down. I feel more comfortable in a close game this year. When McDavid scored that highlight reel goal and made the score 3 to 1. Normally i would have to turn the tv off and go smoke a couple and calm down. As before that would have burried us and i feel we would have been blown out normally. Instead we tied up with in minutes. That has improved. But we still can't figure out how to keep the pedal down though. So there is hope in Keefe i just need to see the results before i go gah gah :)

D- for these results? Did you see what Babcock was getting out of that same roster? The teams' SA, GA is down.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
D- for these results? Did you see what Babcock was getting out of that same roster? The teams' SA, GA is down.

Leaf GA
15 - 16 Leafs roster with little to no talent 2.93
16 - 17 2.85
17 - 18 2.8
18 - 19 3.04 -
19 - 20 3.17
20 - 21 2.9 For 10 games its the difference of 1 goal.

Shots against have improved no questioning that point :) I also seen what Bobcock got out of lesser rosters with the same team to :)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
David Quinn: F

How many young talents does he have to continue to stall their development before he is gone?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
A for Ruff

He's likely not going to be a coach we win the cup with but he was supposed to be big on helping the young guys develop. Hughes, Smith, Bratt, Wood, McLeod, Bastian, and others have all looked fantastic.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Colliton

C

He’s got exactly what I would have expected out of the rosters provided.

Im certain there are better coaches out there, and worse. Coaching is just a non-issue at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad