Jakub Zboril
2018 1st
2019 1st

If I'm Ottawa I run with this.

With no assurance he'll resign Isles could realistically offer:

2 1st round picks
Beauvillier
Pulock

Ottawa should prepare to be upset at any return they get. Similar to Tavares, it's re-sign or bust.

Karlsson and Tavares would be fun to watch together. Can Isles afford both, money-wise?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You have to think of him as a player looking to cash in as a free agent in July 2019. Leave all talk of extensions on the wishful thinking pile. That means you get two playoff years with Karlsson if you acquire him.

As has been stated, this would figure to be a really tough trade to work out. The Sens will want full value for him as a player. That's a very high-end player. However, acquiring teams would have to look at him as a rental + one season. That has more value than he would have as a pure rental, but still nowhere near where the Sens would value him. So the likelihood that offers are perceived as insulting is high right now.

For this reason, I don't think anything would get done until the Senators' perceived value of him as an asset shifts, and I don't think that happens until at least the summer, possibly not until next season's Feb/Mar 2019 deadline.

As time passes, his value as an asset will depreciate. If they're not going to table a competitive offer, they should know that already, come to terms with it, and trade him while an acquiring team gets two playoff years with him. Wait, and the team trading for him is only assured of getting one playoff year with him, and that makes him a rental. Adjust prices accordingly.

Borking his feelings about Ottawa is the fact that the cap is about to steeply rise and Ottawa already won't spend to the cap now. What happens as teams start overspending Ottawa even more? More than anything else, the feeling that Ottawa isn't a cap team while revenues are spiking is affecting his decision making today. They should know that he's probably not sticking around.

Only teams with a plethora of assets need apply, I imagine. I like the possibilities from a team like Nashville. They check all the right boxes in that they are a contender, thus willing to deal some futures, with lots of assets on hand (both young and mature) in order to make a deal. I still doubt that any team would offer enough right now, though.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Sabres are surely on the no trade list, but:

O'Reilly
Reinhart
Guhle
2019 1st

No thanks. You would be gutting the entire center depth of the Sabres leaving even more holes in the lineup than we already have and I doubt Ottawa agrees to that. Guhle might be a steal but hes still an unproven 2nd rounder. Reinhart hasn't been the greatest this year so his trade value is at an all time low...Only O'Reilly really has any value there, that and the 1st. Leaving all those holes then trading away 1sts would be a disaster. I'd feel even worse for Eichel than I already do if you traded those players away. lol

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
WSH
Carlson
Burakovsky

OTT
Karlsson

Even if it also costs the Capitals a 1st or more picks, this would be great for them. Their window is till open. Even as a none Cap fan I would watch every game with them this season if they could revive the golden years with an big upgrade from Green on the PP. Burakovsky and picks is a small prize for the upgrade they´ll get as I see it.

Sens get a good young forward, a 1st pairing defender and maybe a pick. That´s actually good. The problem being that Carlson of course also want´s a payday soon. A good thing being that Burakovsky is a RFA in two seasons.

David Catselhoff

Jan 14, 2005
OTT can pick their poison

Toffoli or Kempe
Martinez or Muzzin
Prospect (Not Vilardi)
2018 1st

Last edited:

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Even if it also costs the Capitals a 1st or more picks, this would be great for them. Their window is till open. Even as a none Cap fan I would watch every game with them this season if they could revive the golden years with an big upgrade from Green on the PP. Burakovsky and picks is a small prize for the upgrade they´ll get as I see it.

Sens get a good young forward, a 1st pairing defender and maybe a pick. That´s actually good. The problem being that Carlson of course also want´s a payday soon. A good thing being that Burakovsky is a RFA in two seasons.

Yeah but he won’t get the payday Karlsson will get. And they can use the other money on signing other options.

And with Carlson’s and Burakovskys salary’s gone and a increase in cap. Washington may actually be able to afford Karlsson

A power play of
Ovechkin Backstrom Karlsson Oshie Kuznetsov... oh my goodness

Reactions: feffan

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
One of Spurgeon/Brodin
Dumba
One of Ek/Kunin/Kaprizov and 2018 1st, or Zucker

or

I think this is a great package for Ottawa. They really need young mobile defenseman to rebuild with especially if they are losing Karlsson.

I love the thought of
Brodin + Dumba + Ek + 1st

Ottawa's young D going forward would be Brodin, Dumba, Chabot. That's extremely promising.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think this is a great package for Ottawa. They really need young mobile defenseman to rebuild with especially if they are losing Karlsson.

I love the thought of
Brodin + Dumba + Ek + 1st

Ottawa's young D going forward would be Brodin, Dumba, Chabot. That's extremely promising.

I'm assuming that MN talks to EK's agent before the trade is made, and receives assurances that he will sign. I know this is counter to what the OP proposed, but there is no way you give up that much for 1 1/2 yrs. of EK.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This thread is stupid given that it's premise will never happen.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs

No point in even making an offer, we aren't at a spot where we can afford to trade the farm for him, as he alone is not the answer, in getting him, we would just sign ourselves up for years of mediocrity, for as good as Nate and he would be together, them two alone won't make us contenders, we would basically be Ottawa.

I dunno, I think I disagree.

My top offer would be:

Barrie + Ott 1st + Ott 3rd + Tyson Jost + Cale Makar

Still leaves the Avs with this for next year:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Compher - Andrighetto
Greer - Soderberg - Kamenev
Wilson - Toninato - Nieto

Girard - Karlsson
Zadorov - EJ
Nemeth - Lindholm

Varlamov

I think that's a very good team with the ability to contend in the West. And we could still add more to the trade to get a deal done if Ottawa feels that's not enough. I wouldn't include our 2018 1st, but pretty much anything else in the system would be on the table. Timmins, Bowers, Meloche, etc. etc.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
With no assurance he'll resign Isles could realistically offer:

2 1st round picks
Beauvillier
Pulock

Ottawa should prepare to be upset at any return they get. Similar to Tavares, it's re-sign or bust.

Not at all actually.

A team will give up a fair amount because Tavares wil never make it to FA. He'll get traded with a pre-aranged extension a la Turris. The team that trades for Karlsson/Tavares will be the team to keep him long term.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I dunno, I think I disagree.

My top offer would be:

Barrie + Ott 1st + Ott 3rd + Tyson Jost + Cale Makar

Still leaves the Avs with this for next year:

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Compher - Andrighetto
Greer - Soderberg - Kamenev
Wilson - Toninato - Nieto

Girard - Karlsson
Zadorov - EJ
Nemeth - Lindholm

Varlamov

I think that's a very good team with the ability to contend in the West. And we could still add more to the trade to get a deal done if Ottawa feels that's not enough. I wouldn't include our 2018 1st, but pretty much anything else in the system would be on the table. Timmins, Bowers, Meloche, etc. etc.
well, that is all pertinent on him signing a new deal, and quite frankly, as good as he is I'm not inking him to a 10+mil deal before he gets back on track and looks like the EK of old.

Reactions: derriko

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Bet the future! (Islanders)

Nelson + DeHaan + MDC + Toews + 2021 1st, 2023 1st, 2025 1st, 2029 1st and 2031 1st

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Starting to hate these threads next to the Laine vs Matthews threads I keep seeing...

I guess I'll give it the Jets best shot (which I hope Karlsson stays in Ottawa until he retires; or trade him just so he wins the cup in his last ever season).

Winnipeg:
Erik Karlsson

Ottawa:
Jack Roslovic
Jacob Trouba
Nic Petan
Eric Comrie
1st 2018
1st 2019
1st 2020
2nd 2018
2nd 2020

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Pretty much the same as other Avs fans have suggested:

Tyson Barrie, Tyson Jost, Conor Timmins and Ottawas 1st rounder & 3rd rounder back.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Starting to hate these threads next to the Laine vs Matthews threads I keep seeing...

I guess I'll give it the Jets best shot (which I hope Karlsson stays in Ottawa until he retires; or trade him just so he wins the cup in his last ever season).

Winnipeg:
Erik Karlsson

Ottawa:
Jack Roslovic
Jacob Trouba
Nic Petan
Eric Comrie
1st 2018
1st 2019
1st 2020
2nd 2018
2nd 2020

Wow that's way too much

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Wouldn't do it but this is probably the trade that guts us the least:

Mikael Backlund, Michael Stone, Adam Fox, Dillon Dube, 2020 1st for Karlsson

or

TJ Brodie, Michael Stone, Andrew Mangiapane, Jon Gillies, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
well, that is all pertinent on him signing a new deal, and quite frankly, as good as he is I'm not inking him to a 10+mil deal before he gets back on track and looks like the EK of old.

That's true. I dont think any deal would happen until this summer though, and I think any trade that does happen would come with a new deal already agreed upon or very close because of the number of future assets any team would have to give up to get him. They'd need to have some serious assurances about him signing a deal.

I also kind of agree about the 10M+ stuff. EK hasn't looked good the last 1.5 months or so. I'm still pretty confident he picks his game up again between now and years end. If he doesn't that would certainly be another conversation in and of itself though.

But I do think the Avs could afford to trade for him and still have a very competitive team to build around him in the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad