Your teams best 3 and worst 3 rosters since 1990?

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Red Wings:
2002 by far (Shanahan, Yzerman, Fedorov, Chelios, Hull, Robitaille, Hasek, Lidstrom, Larionov, Datsyuk = 9 HoF'ers and 10 when Datsyuk gets in)
1997 (still had Konstantinov)
1998 (same as 1997 minus Konstantinov)

Our recent teams have been a joke talent-wise.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The volatility of the league can be summed up with the :pens here...5 Cups won in this time frame, none of which had what I'd consider one of our top 3 rosters here. Hell, add a fourth best and it'd be the 2007-08 Cup losing team.
Best 3:
1992-93 (I barely remember who Volek is, but **** him)
2013 (eat shit in hell, Bylsma)
1995-96 (the entire state of Florida is forever on my shit list for ruining my childhood)

Worst 3:
2003-04
2005-06
2002-03

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Red Wings, Avalanche, Hawks, Penguins cup winning teams should be on here. Honorable mention to the Senators Cup team.

The worst I would guess the Thrashers, early Senators, Columbus had some terrible teams, 16-17 Avs etc..

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You're asking people to do research spanning 28 years, and post 6 full rosters. It's kind of a cool thread idea, but you're asking for a bit too much.

Worst for Toronto is probably 08-09. That was the year after Sundin, but before Kessel and Phaneuf.

Blake - Antropov - Ponikarovsky
Hagman - Stajan - Stempniak
Kulemin - Grabovski - Mitchell
Moore - Mayers - Devereaux
Hollweg - May - Tlusty

Kubina - Kaberle
White - Finger
Schenn - Stralman
Van Ryn - Frogren

Toskala
Joseph
Pogge

In 3 or 4 years, almost everyone on that roster was out of the NHL. All 3 of those goalies posted a S% below 900.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: migi

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Best for the Leafs 03-04 (besides our current - which is debatable) was probably:

Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Tucker-Francis-Nolan
Ponikarovsky-Nieuwendyk-Antropov
Renberg-Reichel-Domi

Leetch-McCabe
Kaberle-Klee
Marchment-Pilar

Belfour
Kidd

The lines are probably %*^$ed up because it was like 15 years ago, but something like this. Belfour, Leetch, Kaberle, McCabe, Sundin, Roberts, Mogilny, Francis, Nolan, Nieuwndyk.... I was so %*(#ing excited for that team.

Reactions: iSophagus

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Worst for Toronto is probably 08-09. That was the year after Sundin, but before Kessel and Phaneuf.

Hollweg - May - Tlusty

Kubina - Kaberle
White - Finger
Schenn - Stralman
Van Ryn - Frogren

Toskala
Joseph
Pogge

In 3 or 4 years, almost everyone on that roster was out of the NHL. All 3 of those goalies posted a S% below 900.

I remember that depressing season.

Every game, Jason Blake would attempt the same move, where he'd skate around/through the defense and crash the other team's goalie. Managed a solid 25 goals out of it.

Can't remember if that was the season where we went 0-7-1 in the first 8.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Best for the Leafs 03-04 (besides our current - which is debatable) was probably:

Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny
Tucker-Francis-Nolan
Ponikarovsky-Nieuwendyk-Antropov
Renberg-Reichel-Domi

Leetch-McCabe
Kaberle-Klee
Marchment-Pilar

Belfour
Kidd

The lines are probably %*^$ed up because it was like 15 years ago, but something like this. Belfour, Leetch, Kaberle, McCabe, Sundin, Roberts, Mogilny, Francis, Nolan, Nieuwndyk.... I was so %*(#ing excited for that team.

I wholeheartedly 2nd this. Best team for Toronto.

Leetch and Francis. What a team this was. Ronnie Franchise is still one of my all-time favourite players.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

Hollweg - May - Tlusty

Kubina - Kaberle
White - Finger
Schenn - Stralman
Van Ryn - Frogren

Toskala
Joseph
Pogge

:baghead:
My God, we've come a long way in 9 years lol. Toskala? Frogren? May? Hollweg? :laugh:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Another contender for worst for the Maple Leafs: 2015-16. Once again, this is a season in between stars. The season before had Kessel on the team, the next would have Matthews and company. Lines are probably all wrong.

vanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Parenteau
Komarov - Kadri - Lupul
Grabner - Holland - Boyes
Matthias - Winnik - Greening
Smith - Arcobello - Laich

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Hunwick - Marincin
Frank Corrado

Bernier
Reimer

Our leading goal scorer was P.A Parenteau (the only guy on the team to hit 20), and the All-Star representative was Leo Komarov. Bernier had a record of 12-21-3. Some of the above guys never actually played together, as there was a crazy amount of turnover, so it's hard to show them as one roster. Arcobello actually played in the top 6 a lot.

The only bright spot is some of the youth was starting to show, as Nylander and Brown got a cup of coffee that year, and Reilly/Gardiner were showing that they could carry the load.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Oilers 90 if that counts 2006 and then the year we beat dallas i guess
For best seasons anyways
Three worst is year before hall hopkins and yak

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
:flames
Best:
1990; 2nd best team in the league, only to get dumped in the first round by Gretzky and the Kings
2004: Historic run by a bunch of nobodies along with Iggy, Kipper and RR
2015: PDO fueled, all-time-fun team. Just a bunch of kids with never-say-die attitudes that literally made up the funnest season I can remember

Worst:
1997: Last year of Theo in Calgary, couldn't win a game to save their lives.
1998: Post Theo years, horrible team that had the longest list of nobodies I've ever seen.
2013: Started the year with a playoff hopeful team; wheels came completely off. Had our moron GM making the ROR offer sheet, also had him making terrible value trades for Jarome and Bouwmeester. Wouldn't commit to a full tank (the difference between having Monahan and Mack/Barkov) even on a shortened season. Ended the season with 6-2 run before going 3 straight losses. The wins were fueled by guys who wouldn't play in the league past 2015.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kings best, I'd say 2011-12, 2013-2014, and 1992-93

Worst... eh. 1996-97, 1998-99, 2006-07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad