Your Team's 3rd Best Defensive/Shutdown Dman

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Well, McDonagh and Skjei are probably our best offensive and defensive d-men simultaneously.

Smith? Holden? I'm not keen on saying Staal, Girardi, or Klein.

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
For the Canes

Slavin
Pesce
Faulk? literally no idea, nobody else I would call "good defensively" on the Canes.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
3rd best at purely defence?

For the Oil that should be Klefbom, though if it's he's having a Klefbum night in the defensive zone, then it's Russell. Nurse isn't far out of this conversation too. All 3 rate fairly close together: clearly behind Larsson and Sekera, but ahead of Benning and Gryba.

I would argue you forever that Russell is better in a shut-down role than Sekera and Klefbom.

You aren't 2nd in blocked shots without being a good shut-down dman. Offensive abilities, Russell is last on the team. But defensive, Russell is behind Larsson only.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
idk either zaitsev or gardiner. rielly was a stud until his injury then sucked for the next little while but is good again.

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
I would argue you forever that Russell is better in a shut-down role than Sekera and Klefbom.

You aren't 2nd in blocked shots without being a good shut-down dman. Offensive abilities, Russell is last on the team. But defensive, Russell is behind Larsson only.

if you block a lot of shots wouldn't that mean the other team has the puck a lot?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
It's really hard to tell as we played 14 different defenseman this season and everyone had to step up to different circumstances.
I would say defensively I would trust Letang and Dumoulin the most. I can't really say much about Hainsey as he only played a few games with the Pens but he looked pretty solid.
Justin Schultz plays a good defensive game this season too but he isn't a defensive/shutdown dman although I wouldn't worry too much with him out there either and I would probably put him as 3rd. But since he doesn't fit the description I either go with Maatta or Cole. Hard choice but well I guess I take Maatta on this one, so final answer:

Maatta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad