Your Selke Winner

Who is your choice for Selke winner?

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think it's RoR, Coots and Bergeron as finalists.

edit: Pushed submit too early :)

I think Coots takes it because he is "due" and he would be deserving. Splitting hairs to be honest.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well I know OP wants us to vote Couturier but I think Bergeron might take it again this year.
He was better offensively (shouldn't be a factor but it is), was the 1C on the best team in the NHL which was #1 league wide in GA, and he has the reputation going for him. Those factors might be enough to swing the vote to Bergeron, even if Couturier does have the "he is due" bonus going for him.

I think Bergeron is ahead in some of stats that make him look better. More goals, better +/- (ridiculous they still look at this), more takeaways, far fewer giveaways whereas Couturier's advantage is better Corsi, Fenwick, and harder zone starts. I don't know which voters value more but it's never seemed like they leaned that hard on advanced stats imo.
Couturier had a better season last year and only came in 6th in Selke voting. I think if it got it this year it'd be more because of being a top defensive player over an extended time period rather than being clearly the best defensive player this season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see either of them win it though.

Last edited:

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Homer vote for Cirelli, but Coots will win. Simply because while there are others players who have been as good defensively this season, none of them were ALSO as good as coots offensively

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Well I know OP wants us to vote Couturier but I think Bergeron might take it again this year.
He was better offensively (shouldn't be a factor but it is), was the 1C on the best team in the NHL which was #1 league wide in GA, and he has the reputation going for him. Those factors might be enough to swing the vote to Bergeron, even if Couturier does have the "he is due" bonus going for him.

I think Bergeron is ahead in some of stats that make him look better. More goals, better +/- (ridiculous they still look at this), more takeaways, far fewer giveaways whereas Couturier's advantage is better Corsi, Fenwick, and harder zone starts. I don't know which voters value more but it's never seemed like they leaned that hard on advanced stats imo.
Couturier had a better season last year and only came in 6th in Selke voting. I think if it got it this year it'd be more because of being a top defensive player over an extended time period rather than being clearly the best defensive player this season.

Wouldn't be surprised to see either of them win it though.

I obviously want him to win and voted for him but it’s a trophy where both of the top two deserve it. I think the NHL is an old boys club enough that Bergeron will win it too, it’ll take him having a real nosedive year for Coots to get a look in.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I obviously want him to win and voted for him but it’s a trophy where both of the top two deserve it. I think the NHL is an old boys club enough that Bergeron will win it too, it’ll take him having a real nosedive year for Coots to get a look in.

I believe the opposite. The NHL is ready for a new name to draw attention to. Bergeron may deserve it but it seems unlikely he wins it... perhaps he will win a career achievement one as he declines the way Lidstrom won his final Norris.

You only wished to post an article about Couturier?

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I believe the opposite. The NHL is ready for a new name to draw attention to. Bergeron may deserve it but it seems unlikely he wins it... perhaps he will win a career achievement one as he declines the way Lidstrom won his final Norris.

You only wished to post an article about Couturier?

Did you actually read the article? It isn’t only about Couturier but he does summarise saying it’s close but he chooses Couturier.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Did you actually read the article? It isn’t only about Couturier but he does summarise saying it’s close but he chooses Couturier.

I did read the article by the philly beat guy. I do think then when its so close you can find other advanced stats that he neglected to make a different case. For instance, Bergeron blows away the field in defensive zone puck retrieval. He is a god at anticipating the play and collecting the puck in ways that don't show up on the stat line as a takeaway. Its very easy to make an argument that despite Marchand and Pastrnak making aggressive risky plays that create turnovers that Bergeron's line is still elite defensively because Bergeron is head and shoulders above Couts.

Heck, any case that talks about Marchand being good defensively is coming from a place of horseshit.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad