Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Continued from here:

Player Discussion - Your proposed roster changes for next year IV

KEY DATES

July 8: NHL buyout window opens (24 hours after Stanley Cup is awarded). Window closes July 27.
July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for Seattle Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).
July 17: At 3 p.m. the Expansion Draft trade and waiver freeze begins. No NHL SPCs can be signed in this period except by Seattle in relation to the draft. All other teams must live with their roster as it exists during the freeze. Seattle is able to sign pending UFAs and RFAs to SPCs (see below) and also to make trades with teams that will be finalized by the league when the freeze is lifted. But two other teams cannot make side deals, nor can they re-sign their own UFAs or RFAs during this period.
July 18-20: Seattle's exclusive window to interview teams' unprotected pending free agents.
July 21: Seattle Expansion Draft (8 p.m. ET).
July 23: 2021 NHL Draft, Round 1.
July 24: 2021 NHL Draft, Rounds 2-7.
July 28: NHL free agency opens. RFA & UFA signing period begins (noon ET).

July 22: Expansion draft roster freeze ends.

July 26: Qualifying offers due to restricted free agents (Kase, Ritchie, Wolff, Lantosi, Booth, Senyshyn, Arnesson, Cehlarik, JFK). Players can not sign them until July 28.

July 27: First buyout period ends. There's a second window if teams go to arbitration. Can buyout contracts over $4 million.

July 27: Teams can begin to talk to other club's RFA's regarding an offer sheet. Cannot sign until July 28.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Welp, that’s disappointing. I really don’t think Boston has plans to improve the middle 6 during the off-season
It's not disappointing if you look at it. Tarasenko has had THREE shoulder surgeries since 2018. This last one hurt him bad. Even Blues fans will tell you he did not look himself when he got off IR. Too much of a risk. He's a great player but the risk is too much especially with his cap hit.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Re : Landeskog contract demands......When are GM's going to learn that long term deals 5 years ++ at 8M or more per season for players 29 YO and older never work out.
Any team would be nuts to give him want he is asking for.
I am sure the Sharks would love to change the deal they gave Karlsson / Vlasic and Burns now, the Wild just bought out Suter and Parise...stay far away from GL.
The only way I want him is to give him 5.5M a year for 4 years, no more, that is what he is worth.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Re : Landeskog contract demands......When are GM's going to learn that long term deals 5 years ++ at 8M or more per season for players 29 YO and older never work out.
Any team would be nuts to give him want he is asking for.
I am sure the Sharks would love to change the deal they gave Karlsson / Vlasic and Burns now, the Wild just bought out Suter and Parise...stay far away from GL.
The only way I want him is to give him 5.5M a year for 4 years, no more, that is what he is worth.

There will always be bad GMs. You are seeing it seeing as he is going to UFA and not getting that deal from the Avs

Also in the best interest of a GM to be short sighted. Think long term and a new GM may be getting the fruits of your patience.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
There will always be bad GMs. You are seeing it seeing as he is going to UFA and not getting that deal from the Avs

Also in the best interest of a GM to be short sighted. Think long term and a new GM may be getting the fruits of your patience.

Will always be GMs who have knee jerk reactions to losing a payer too

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
When does Seattle's exclusive UFA negotiating window open?

Assuming Hall doesn't sign with the Kraken, re-upping him before free agency opens should be priority #1. Once Hall is locked in, we can fill in the rest of the roster from there.

I make Palmeri my second top target after Hall. If we can re-sign Hall and bring in the scoring RW he won the Hart playing with, that should incentivize Krejci to re-sign on the cheap.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
When does Seattle's exclusive UFA negotiating window open?

Assuming Hall doesn't sign with the Kraken, re-upping him before free agency opens should be priority #1. Once Hall is locked in, we can fill in the rest of the roster from there.

I make Palmeri my second top target after Hall. If we can re-sign Hall and bring in the scoring RW he won the Hart playing with, that should incentivize Krejci to re-sign on the cheap.

Seattle Expansion Draft Process and Timeline

July 18: The NHL must approve and distribute the protection lists to all NHL teams by 10 a.m. They will likely be made public at about that time. At that time Seattle may begin interviewing UFAs and RFAs who are available for selection (on the exposure list), and they may sign them to contracts if they reach agreement. That signing counts as their selection from that team.
For example: if Seattle were to sign Frederik Andersen to a contract in this period, he would become their selection from the Toronto Maple Leafs. They may only speak to players who are exposed, not anyone on a protection list. And by default, they can only sign one player per team.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
If we don’t manage to sign Hall then it’s definitely time to start thinking about the possibility of moving on from Krejci/Rask as well and try and see what we have out of Studnicka and give the reigns over to Swayman with Vladar backing him up. Take this year to see what we have out of guys like Lauko, Senyshyn, Vaakaneinen etc and try to pursue a future C in the next upcoming offseason. Keep Bergeron/Marchand around for the retool unless they decide they don’t want to stick around. Time to pick a direction.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I put key dates in post 1 of each page for now…..for those that care.

KEY DATES

July 8: NHL buyout window opens (24 hours after Stanley Cup is awarded). Window closes July 27.
July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for Seattle Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).
July 17: At 3 p.m. the Expansion Draft trade and waiver freeze begins. No NHL SPCs can be signed in this period except by Seattle in relation to the draft. All other teams must live with their roster as it exists during the freeze. Seattle is able to sign pending UFAs and RFAs to SPCs (see below) and also to make trades with teams that will be finalized by the league when the freeze is lifted. But two other teams cannot make side deals, nor can they re-sign their own UFAs or RFAs during this period.
July 18-20: Seattle's exclusive window to interview teams' unprotected pending free agents.
July 21: Seattle Expansion Draft (8 p.m. ET).
July 23: 2021 NHL Draft, Round 1.
July 24: 2021 NHL Draft, Rounds 2-7.
July 28: NHL free agency opens. RFA & UFA signing period begins (noon ET).

Last edited:

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
If we don’t manage to sign Hall then it’s definitely time to start thinking about the possibility of moving on from Krejci/Rask as well and try and see what we have out of Studnicka and give the reigns over to Swayman with Vladar backing him up. Take this year to see what we have out of guys like Lauko, Senyshyn, Vaakaneinen etc and try to pursue a future C in the next upcoming offseason. Keep Bergeron/Marchand around for the retool unless they decide they don’t want to stick around. Time to pick a direction.
This times a million they have to bring hall back or does it really matter what they do??

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
This times a million they have to bring hall back or does it really matter what they do??
Without Hall there is no replacement that would interest me besides Landeskog who is asking way beyond what he’s actually worth imo. Can’t go into next season with the same lineup we started with at the start of last season and expect to contend. Either we go all in or we give our prospects opportunities to play in the NHL.

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
I'm not sure I agree. I've watched every playoff game twice now and I still don't see this tissue soft Reilly that people keep referring to. He doesn't initiate a ton, but he takes hits to make plays and sacrifices his body. I'm watching the Islanders games and looking for Reilly to bail out on a puck or a play and I can't find it.

That said, I do see the value in big, strong, nasty defensemen. I want a mix of those guys and guys like Gryz and Reilly.

I also think our weakness, when compared to other elite teams, is our 3rd pair. Tampa's 3rd pair was Sergachev-Savard. Think about that. We have two guys with upside that you'd think would make a good pair in Lauzon-Clifton, but they're both learning and can't really lean on each other. They (as a pair) were constantly underwater during the regular season, constantly allowing more than they created.

Long story short, I'd love to get Oleksiak, and if Sergachev can play in the 3rd pair, so can Grzelcyk. But I also won't be surprised to see Gryz named one of the 50 best defensemen in the NHL when the power rankings come out this summer. He absolutely is a top4 defenseman, in the mold of a Ryan Ellis or Jared Spurgeon.

Playmaker I think we agree. The Bs have a lot of decent serviceable D men. I just think that an addition of what I would consider as a true legit top 4 would allow for the rest of the corp to be slotted properly. Gryz and Reilly are good D men that really Excell at certain aspects of the game. I just think there is overlap on what the B's D Excell at and what they lack. A big physical legit top 4 guy would give better balance.

Last edited by a moderator:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I agree a young RW like Garland for the top 6 is very high on the priority list. Right behind a young center for me. If we get the opportunity, I would love to pull off a deal for Garland. I don’t love that he’s local, but I don’t think we should avoid guys because there local either unless the background check implies that it could be problematic.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
i agree. I think they have just enough assets for one B+ trade; and even that is a stretch. Def Not two because of how bare the cupboards are.

One trade and a couple shrewd FA signings and I’ll be happy.

Reactions: ylekot

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I would keep Smith with Hall/Krejci mainly because of fit and chemistry. I don't think there's any need to move him off that line.

I would like to see Coyle get a skilled RS/RW. Connor Garland would be a perfect fit.

If we close out this offseason with Ekholm, Garland, and Oleksiak ( or two out of three ), I'll be a happy fan.

DeBrusk for Garland

Stud / Vaak / 2022 2nd for Ekholm

3.5 mill x 4 years for Oleksiak

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I agree a young RW like Garland for the top 6 is very high on the priority list. Right behind a young center for me. If we get the opportunity, I would love to pull off a deal for Garland. I don’t love that he’s local, but I don’t think we should avoid guys because there local either unless the background check implies that it could be problematic.

I think Garland is more a 3rd liner than a top 6 player on a contending team but I'm still interested. The Bruins badly need to improve their RW stocks and Garland has a good all-round skill set and I expect still has a little upside to his game. Depends what the Coyotes want in return but if it was a straight DeBrusk-Garland swap I'd totally do that deal, although I doubt JdB really interests Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad