• Price

• Poehling

• Suzuki

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but what has Lafreniere done in the NHL to deserve being traded for Suzuki our only center of any worth and a #1 to boot?

Nothing. To do the deal Caufield would be the one I risk. The thing is the Rangers would be leery seeing Gorton preached overall toughness as one of the ingredients he was going for in their rebuild. So it would seem very sketchy if he all of a sudden dangled C.C.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Habs need an offensive weapon that every team focuses on and that will still scores and/or makes huge plays.

Then, Suzuki (or the equivalent) on the 2nd line would make the team dangerous, etc.

It might take a while to get a player like that, but it will be worth the wait.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
If we're going to disregard contracts and assume the veterans can be moved in deals that make sense, then the only player I'm comfortable projecting as a future core piece is Suzuki. Maybe Caufield, but I'm not so sure about that.

The way I see it, the core will be somewhat fluid in the coming years. Some veterans will be kept, because we have no one ready to fill those roles and/or they can't be moved due to contact considerations. Here is the core:

#1G: It's going to be Price until the end of his contact. It's impossible to trade him without seriously hampering yourself imo. Then, perhaps Primeau, but it's far from certain. Anyways, it's not really relevant to the rebuild, because teams don't hit a rebuild button in order to draft a goalie with a top-10 pick. They usually come from other sources.

#1D: Jeff Petry. Inadequate, but there's absolutely no one in the organisation who projects to fill that role. For this reason, and because of a lack of NHL ready RHDs, he might be here to stay. This role is the most glaring long-term need.

#2D: Joel Edmundson. Inadequate, but there might actually be players in the system to fill that role in the future, with Guhle being the frontrunner.

#1C: Nick Suzuki

#2C: Depending on how he turns out, and on Suzuki's progression, it might still be Dvorak. We'll see.

#1W: Gallagher. Even assuming that what we're seing today is just a bump on the road, it's not ideal if Gallagher is your best winger. Since we might have to keep Price's and Petry's contracts on the books, he's the most logical piece to trade, although it will have to be carefully considered due to chemistry and leadership reasons. The team has taken quite a lot of hits in this department in the recent months. As for the future, we don't really have a star winger in the system, but it's a relatively least important part of the core.

#2W: Toffoli then Caufield.

Whatever we decide as regards to Gallagher, I think Anderson absolutely needs to be traded this season or the next. He's an exclusively rush player with poor awareness and puck protection ability on the cycle. He's going to be absolutely useless once his skating ability diminishes. On a team full of risky contracts, he might just be the nail in the coffin, because he's completely redundant and would provide solid value if traded now. Even with Gallagher gone a RW depth of Toffoli/Caufield/Armia should be perfectly adequate. LW is the easiest position to fill, especially if we retain Lehkonen and perhaps even re-sign Drouin for less money to serve as a playmaking winger on Dvorak's line.

If I decided to trade Gallagher, my next season's team would look something like this:

xxx - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Toffoli
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
xxx - Poehling - Armia

Edmundson - Petry
Clague - Savard
Romanov - xxx

Price
Allen
Might sound crazy but I’d like to see Poehling play top 6 LW. It’s a waste having his skill set on the 4th. He is fast, big, strong on the boards and has a nose for the net. He might help make space for NS and CC

Reactions: dcyhabs

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Lolol joke of the year.

Don’t pay attention, when I see an offer like this all I can think of is : it’s in the game!

Price, Petry, Chariot, Allen, Toffoli, Gallagher, etc. is the order I would like to see them traded.

Gallagher is last of the list because there would be a lot of salary retained or the return wouldn’t be that much. I’m thinking at 50% the Habs could get a decent pick.

Toffoli probably a guy that is easy to trade.

Goaltenders never fetch much but Allen has been good, so it will be interesting. Price should fetch more then a 1st with enough salary retained.

Durvann

Feb 6, 2013
Keep Anderson , Edmundson , Savard (nobody will want him) and Petry as vets for 1-2 seasons

Hoffman Drouin Toffoli Chariot Kulak Perreault Lekhonen Armia Gallagher and Allen all traded

Keep Price if he want to stay , that's 5 vets with Suzuki
I agree with this 95%. Only I would like to keep Lekhonen. Keeping Edmondson and Petry gives us some stability on defense. Savard we're stuck with.

I feel like you need some vets here and there.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Habs need an offensive weapon that every team focuses on and that will still scores and/or makes huge plays.

Then, Suzuki (or the equivalent) on the 2nd line would make the team dangerous, etc.

It might take a while to get a player like that, but it will be worth the wait.
While we wait for that player, our young’s will develop into that haha

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I think that they are all available for the right price, we have no diamonds just low grade silver, same as always.

Well right now there are few players who would be key or core for the long term. Price would be absolutely key if the team were trying to win. Suzuki is the only guy I would say is core before and after the rebuild. Caufield and Romanov could possibly achieve that level but it's far from sure now.

It's not "same as always," though. The team has had lots of players that they couldn't let go for nothing. some they traded, like Subban and Paccioretty. Some they didn't re-sign. Some got injured or retired. Way too many were not re-signed. I defended Bergevin and Timmins as mediocre and not terrible, but the key skill of a GM is to know who he needs to keep and keep them around. Nothing to be done about Weber, but burning bridges with Danault was dumb and unprofessional, as was losing JK. Kotkaniemi wouldn't be a key player on a good team but the habs needed him. He's close to 0.5 ppg playing fewer minutes after a slow start in Carolina, while Dvorak is easily disposable here, so MB botched multiple steps in the process. The habs would definitely be better off with JK than with Savard, Hoffman, and Dvorak. the only way to recover the situation now would be to trade those three players, who were all very, very available before the season, for a significant return.

I suppose the other positive is that with JK and without the other 3 guys the team wouldn't be in the playoffs but probably not picking top 10, certainly not top 5. Savard hasn't outplayed anybody, Hoffman is a problem because they already have 3 players who need the same minutes, and Dvorak isn't replacing JK at all, though he has similar scoring numbers.

I worried that the team could potentially be worse off without Bergevin, but they should have fired him before the offseason. Looking forward to Gorton's moves, the only way to go is up.

Last edited:

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I can't see Petry being traded this year considering everything, you won't get close to his value in a trade. When Edmundson returns, trade Chairot.

Reactions: BLONG7

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Is that you Mr Milbury?
AL is looking like he could be a Yakapov type of bust............
He is 20 years old. There is one thing that I have noticed though. In his last 2 years in the QMJHL, he had much more assists then goals ( goals were good too). In his 1st year in the QMJHL, he had more goals then assists.

Just a stat hunch but… maybe he scores more goals then assists when he is adjusting.

Anyway, I wouldn’t compare him to Yakupov (yet) because Lafrenière is a hard worker.

Reactions: BLONG7

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I can't see Petry being traded this year considering everything, you won't get close to his value in a trade. When Edmundson returns, trade Chairot.
We got him for a 2nd and a 5th… in a trade if we get a 2nd… with all the miles Habs got out of him, it be a decent outcome.
I think lots of teams can spare a 2nd for a guy like Petry.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
...you can't win the draft two years in a row anymore

Teams can, they just can’t advance from the lottery more than twice in a 5 year span:

3. (Implemented starting in 2022) "No single team will be able to advance in the Draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two (2) times in any five (5) year period." This limitation will not affect a Club’s ability to retain its presumptive Draft position in any Draft Lottery, nor would it preclude the possibility of the Club moving down in Draft Order to the extent other Clubs advance by reason of winning the Lottery Draws. For purposes of clarity, the limitation would attach to the team, not the specific pick.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
I was wondering how it really works. Is it max two times in a 5 year span on #1OA only? Or does the max two times apply to all 3 lottery picks?
There's only 2 lottery picks now.

Winning 1st or 2nd (or moving up 10 spots) counts as winning. Thus, if you win 1st a year and 2nd next year, then you can't win again within the next 3 years.

In other words, Buffalo can only win once more within the next 4 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's only 2 lottery picks now.

Winning 1st or 2nd (or moving up 10 spots) counts as winning. Thus, if you win 1st a year and 2nd next year, then you can't win again within the next 3 years.

In other words, Buffalo can only win once more within the next 4 years.

The 3rd lottery pick is no longer?

So if you move up spots, that's considered a lottery win. Regardless of winning 1st or 2nd OA. I figured it would be this way and I support that change.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad