Your Reaction When......

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
tumblr_mdjxtxhZrU1r9wybv.gif

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

No reaction. It is what it is and everyone knows the rules going in.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I will stand stoic and firm at the television as the pluckier shootouters win the gold.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
the loser will get out the "we lost a gold in a skills competition " yada yada yada excuses out, and the winner will say, who cares, they won gold.

And they will both be right.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Only positive to take away from that travesty would be the uproar of negativity surrounding it would at least get the NHL a hair closer to re-evaluating their current format.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I will go through a wide range of emotions.

At the start of the shootout

jake.gif

"Oh God....why...why...."

As the shootout goes on, if my country takes the lead

tumblr_mrn5h7rKtn1r5mhuio1_500.gif

"Ya know, these shootout deciding things....maybe they're not so bad."

If my country were to lose the game because of the shootout

angry-child-gif.gif

"**** this and **** you."

If my country were to win the gold via shootout

tumblr_inline_mtw41fFm851rrnw5j.gif

If my country doesn't make the gold medal game and it's decided via shootout

tv-addiction-emma-stone-meh-gif.gif

And if all else fails, start a forum brawl
3kAFJ.gif

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
Only positive to take away from that travesty would be the uproar of negativity surrounding it would at least get the NHL a hair closer to re-evaluating their current format.

the nhl doesn't have there playoff games determined with a shootout. for regular season games, shootouts are fine, for a gold medal game its a travesty

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I can understand partly why they do it. The GMG is generally held on the last day of the Olympics, a few hours before the Closing Ceremonies. They can't risk an OT game going 2 or 3 periods longer than expected and interfering with the schedule.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
If it's a Canada - Sweden gold medal game, who gets to shoot?

Backstrom - Ekman-Larsson - Alfredsson

Toews - Marleau - Crosby ?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If it's a Canada - Sweden gold medal game, who gets to shoot?

Backstrom - Ekman-Larsson - Alfredsson

Toews - Marleau - Crosby ?

Don't know who would shoot for Sweden but I would imagine they'll go Toews - Stamkos - Crosby - Toews - Toews - Toews (if it gets that far).

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
Don't know who would shoot for Sweden but I would imagine they'll go Toews - Stamkos - Crosby - Toews - Toews - Toews (if it gets that far).

is there 5 shooters or 3? 3 shooters for a gold medal would be way to insufficient

btw, who is that girl in your avatar?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
As much as I despise shootouts, I have to agree with the poster that brought up the time restraints that you would face during the Olympics. However, it's not like they just go straight to a shootout after regulation. They'll at least do a full OT period for the GMG, and if that still hasn't settled things, then I can live with a shootout.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Reaction if your team wins: "******* yeah, steel nerves in the SO, gj all."

Reaction if your team loses: "Weak rule, boo the SO, undeserved win boo".

What the reaction SHOULD BE:
"It's the Olympics, we can't have continuous sudden death OT in this tournament, it's common sense.
Besides, we had 65 minutes to win the game anyway."

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
michael-scott-no.gif

Then probably throwing my TV out of the 24th story window of my apartment. :nod: :rant:

Reaction if your team wins: "******* yeah, steel nerves in the SO, gj all."

Reaction if your team loses: "Weak rule, boo the SO, undeserved win boo".

What the reaction SHOULD BE:
"It's the Olympics, we can't have continuous sudden death OT in this tournament, it's common sense.
Besides, we had 65 minutes to win the game anyway."

It'll actually be 80 minutes:

Overtime rules: If a game is tied at the end of regulation, a 4-on-4, sudden-death overtime period will be played (five-minute OT in preliminary round, 10-minute OT in playoff round and 20-minute OT in gold-medal game). If the game is not decided in overtime, it will go to a shootout.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/sports/_/name/ih/ice-hockey

IIHF's 2010 rules are still in effect for this year. :nod:

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If the teams are so close that they can't decide which one's better in 80 minutes of hockey, it's going to be a small-margins thing no matter how it's decided.

As a matter of fact, an individual skills competition doesn't sound any less fair than dragging the game on 'til one side gets a lucky bounce.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Do they still use that rule that you can send the same guy out over and over? Toews

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You guys are forgetting Forsberg in the 94 Olympics. He scored twice in the shootout in the finals and popularized the Kent Nilsson move on the game winner. It was kind of glorious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad