Your Questionable Conn Smythe Choices

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
What are some Conn smythe winners that leave y'all scratching your head?

Mine:

Kane over Crawford in 2013. Wasn't too upset over this selection. But I feel as though Crawford deserved it. He was stellar in games 1, 2, 4, and 5 of the Finals.

2016. Crosby over Kessel. This was just crazy. I feel as though Crosby got it on reputation alone.

2003: Giguere over Brodeur. Brodeur had three shut outs in the Finals. His team won the cup. Giguerewas better before the Finals. But I feel as though Marty deserved it.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What are some Conn smythe winners that leave y'all scratching your head?

Mine:

Kane over Crawford in 2013. Wasn't too upset over this selection. But I feel as though Crawford deserved it. He was stellar in games 1, 2, 4, and 5 of the Finals.

2016. Crosby over Kessel. This was just crazy. I feel as though Crosby got it on reputation alone.

2003: Giguere over Brodeur. Brodeur had three shut outs in the Finals. His team won the cup. Giguerewas better before the Finals. But I feel as though Marty deserved it.

Couldn't disagree more.

I've only seen 2 teams make it to the finals because of god-tier goaltending in my time - 1 was Giguere in 2003, the other was Thomas in 2011. Other teams have had good goaltending but also great teams, those two dragged teams behind them that didn't belong.

Reactions: Fixxer

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
After Las Vegas defeated Winnipeg some members of the media were saying things like 'win or lose the Stanley Cup Marc Andre Fleury is the Conn Smythe winner'.... while Tampa Bay and Washington were still playing.

I wonder if those same members of the media are still thinking that, does it even matter what happens in the Finals they've got it in their mind that Fleury's already the winner?

I remember in 2003, before the New Jersey Devils-Anaheim Ducks' final, about six of us who'd been designated as voters were all sitting next to each other in the press room before the start of the game and we talked about the Conn Smythe. A consensus emerged: That unless the Ducks' J.S. Giguere had a particularly rough outing, he would likely win the award because that is how it is worded: "To the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs." Sometimes, the MVP comes from the losing team and usually, it's a goalie.

How the Conn Smythe voting shakes down

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
What? Giguere carried this Ducks team (Mighty Ducks in 2003) that had absolutely no business to be there just one game away to win the Stanley Cup. He deserved the Conn Smythe over Fatso sorry.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Any of the 2016 Smythe candidates would've been weak. You could've given it to Couture though.
No single player on the Penguins stood out in the finals, or the entire playoffs. They got contributions from everyone.

I agree on Couture. Despite losing he outscored everyone in the finals and had 30 for the entire run. He at the very least deserved more recognition than what he got.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Messier should have won in 1994. That's all I got.

Leetch was good, with all his points, but the Rangers never would have won without Messier. Would they have won without Leetch? Arguably.

Also, I'm not a fan of a loser winning an MVP award. They failed at their task, so how does it make sense they were the most valuable player of the playoffs? Most valuable to what? Being second best? That means Giguere to me has an asterisk. Obviously the Ducks wouldn't have been second best without him, but who cares about second best?

I'll make an exception for Hextall in 1987 because he is awesome and those were the first Cup Finals I can remember.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Kessel over Crosby has to die. He got three more points playing sheltered minutes, if you think that was more significant than Sid dominating all over the ice I don't know what to tell you. If you simply want to look at the box score than you folks should be championing Logan Couture, doesn't really matter that his team lost if the only required accomplishment is most points.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The only way Fleury wins the Smythe while losing in the final is if the series goes to a 7th game. Giguere took his team to a Game 7 and so did Hextall for that matter.

As for questionable wins, Roy in 2001 comes to mind. He was brutal in the first round and any number of Avs could have won that year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Messier should have won in 1994. That's all I got.

Leetch was good, with all his points, but the Rangers never would have won without Messier. Would they have won without Leetch? Arguably.

Also, I'm not a fan of a loser winning an MVP award. They failed at their task, so how does it make sense they were the most valuable player of the playoffs? Most valuable to what? Being second best? That means Giguere to me has an asterisk. Obviously the Ducks wouldn't have been second best without him, but who cares about second best?

I'll make an exception for Hextall in 1987 because he is awesome and those were the first Cup Finals I can remember.

I'm biased, but the Rangers aren't winning without Leetch's 34 points that playoff year.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
If he was so valuable, why didn't he outplay Brodeur in the games in NJ why didn't his team win the cup?
Maybe because the Conn Smythe is awarded to the most valuable player for all the playoffs and not just the final like the NBA. And he lost to a better NJ team, simple answer.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
But how valuable are you if you get outplayed in all of the road games? What did you lead your team too?
He was the reason why the series went to a 7th game and the reason why his team went in the Stanley Cup Final this year and he had the numbers too.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Couldn't disagree more.

I've only seen 2 teams make it to the finals because of god-tier goaltending in my time - 1 was Giguere in 2003, the other was Thomas in 2011. Other teams have had good goaltending but also great teams, those two dragged teams behind them that didn't belong.

What about Quick in 2012? The Kings were great but Quick was out of this world.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Okay...but how is he the most "Valuable" if his team lost the Finals?
The first 3 rounds factored into the decision, for sure.

I vividly remember that game. Anaheim was running on fumes and generated next to nothing offensively. I'd have given Jeff Friesen the Smythe myself. He was HUGE in that series and the reason they were even there to begin with.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The first 3 rounds factored into the decision, for sure.

I vividly remember that game. Anaheim was running on fumes and generated next to nothing offensively. I'd have given Jeff Friesen the Smythe myself. He was HUGE in that series and the reason they were even there to begin with.

I just think the NHL should have a conference finals mvp and Finals MVP.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Jun 13, 2012
Why do you keep calling him " Fatso"? Yes, I realize Avery originated it. But, a top three goalie of all time deserves better respect...maybe..lol...
Are you the Fatso's boyfriend? I agree the goalie deserves respect for all what he has done in the NHL but the person not really.

Reactions: Whaleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad