Your preferred pre-game meal?

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I like a bit of pasta, bread, anything carbs a few hours before skating. It's hard to not fill up, just eat enough to get comfy. That and plenty of water throughout the day, and right before suiting up.

Post game meal consists of lite beer.

Avery4Byng*

2 - 750ml Joker Energy Drinks
Extra Large Black Tim Hortons coffee
2 Large Donairs

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
"What comes in malt or liquor, what gets you drunker quicker, what comes in bottles or in cans?"

Kidding.....I never drink.....beer:D

PensFanInCBus

Jan 14, 2004
Big plate of wheat pasta with some tomato sauce, little bit of grated parmesan cheese. Can of diet pepsi, bunch of water.

watson

Jul 23, 2006
Earth
Roasted Feline smothered in butter with a touch of garlic accompanied by a side dish of Linguini served with a fine red wine

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Post game meal consists of lite beer.

Naturally :D

For pre-game, something high protien (I like to switch it up a bit) and a baked potato.

A good friend of mine swears by pasta with tuna and brockley. I might try it next season as he always has tons of energy.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I eat vegetarian at home, so it's a hearty plate of pasta or noodles, not too much sauce/gravy and a bit of soy protein to balance out the carbs. Always balance your carbs with protein for good use, and make sure you eat those complex carbs at least two hours before the game.

And forget about potatoes...and don't eat dairy no matter what. The first will just jack you up with sugar and the second will slow you down.

I don't play hockey at a high level, and I have no problems playing well at all eating a largely vegetarian diet. I make sure I get all my vitamins and proteins from various sources.

I once ate a Whopper fifteen minutes before a game because I was starving and the BK was the only place next to the rink. I would have been better off dumpster diving or eating a mangy squirrel. I didn't hurl, but it sloooowed me down...

I'd say Chicken Parm, no cheese, light on the sauce, is the best way to go for most people.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I have no set meal. My meal of choice is a salad with grilled (sometimes fried or buffalo style) chicken with bottle of water. I take a short nap. Then a cup of coffee or latte to wake up followed by a RedBull in the locker room as I get dressed.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
check the content of those high energy drinks for TAURINE...then go look up what damage over reving the CNS with taurine can do to you....long term.

Before I started drinking Redbull's I did some research on the possiable side effects. After reading your post I did a search on taurine. I found plenty of info, but no warnings as to the long term effects it will have on the CNS (central nervous system).

Anyway, the one or two a week I drink over the course of a hockey season doesn't seem to be anything alarming, at least not me. The sole reason I drink them is because I play very very late at night and while coffee will wake me up, it won't get me up to play.

Of course I'm no doctor so it's not like I have any first hand info on it.

Last edited:

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
check the content of those high energy drinks for TAURINE...then go look up what damage over reving the CNS with taurine can do to you....long term.

can you post where you found this? I normally drink one before and one during a game.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Large donair, hold the tomatoes.

I'm from Cali, and never even heard of this before. After looking it up, I'm drooling for one now...We do have pretty damn good taco's out here though :D

My pre-game meal of choice is a hot roast beef with provalone on onion herb from Togo's (sub restaurant in cali) and water. NO soda for me on gameday. Sugar energy goes too fast and dehydrates me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad