Your predictions: with this roster, where do the Panthers finish?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I appreciate that the roster at the start of the year may not look how it looks now, I was just bored lol. I still maintain that one of Kopecky, Flash, or Upshall won't be here to start the year, especially if we wind up with K. Hayes.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
I won't make a prediction, but I don't understand why some are so down on the team overall.

I think people are really underestimating how terrible our goaltending has been the past couple of years. We've upgraded significantly in net so we won't be allowing as many goals this year, regardless of whether or not we add another D-man (which I think Tallon will add another D-man at some point anyway so that should get better).

Goal-scoring is always a concern with this franchise, but I find it difficult to believe that Huby and Flash are going to be as terrible as they were last year. Jokinen might not be spectacular but he's definitely going to add some more scoring. We kept Boyes who provided scoring last year. Furthermore, I don't see why we have to expect Barkov/Bjugstad to either stay the same or bust. Maybe those guys improve even more? They have great potential.

I also like the toughness of our 4th line this year, for what it's worth. If MacKenzie is as good as Columbus fans say, we should have one of the better 4th lines in hockey which shows that our depth is as good as it's been in a very long time.

Unless we have a bunch of injuries, there's no way we're in the lottery again, imo. I think we'll be a bubble playoff team that can make it if some things go right for us.

We are better in goaltending but its like you said the issue is scoring and us having a tread D in front of Luongo is no lock. I feel good about Barkov and Bjugstad because they have a superior skill set and size that far exceeds everyone else on the team but everyone else is ifs, buts and hope and everyone has to be healthy.

Tallon feels there will be a bounce back with Hubs and Flash with Boyes, healthy Bergy, Jokinen and Pirri scoring like they showed last year. I feel like veterens like Boyes, Bergy and Jokinen can score at a projected number but the rest are question marks. You don't know what your going to get.

As for defense it seems we will be leaning more on Kulikov and Guds this year to go along with Campell who has lost a step or maybe 2 since coming here and now its likely a new rookie will be playing (Ekblad) in our D corp. How will this group play? With all this uncertainty I don't see how objectively one can say they will be in the top 8 beat out a improved WAS or Detroit who was decimated by injuries all year and still made the playoffs and havent missed the playoffs in over 20 years. Also us leap frogging all the other teams after those 8 who were better than us last year is a bit of a stretch. There is no basis for that other than hoping everybody works out and everyone is healthy, and Gallant putting it all together magically. I'm all for fandom but realistically this is a developmental year.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
My mindset is that anything can happen in the east because you don't have well-rounded, scary teams like LA, Anaheim, St. Louis, Chicago and SJ. Florida could either have a ton of injuries, bad luck and everyone on the roster regressing or relatively healthy, some good bounces and our core group (Huby, Guddy, Barkov, Bjugs and Ekblad) really begins to emerge as a special core. We're not going to be last. We could finish anywhere from 7-13. I don't see us going higher than 7th, though.

Last edited:

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
I won't make a prediction, but I don't understand why some are so down on the team overall.

I think people are really underestimating how terrible our goaltending has been the past couple of years. We've upgraded significantly in net so we won't be allowing as many goals this year, regardless of whether or not we add another D-man (which I think Tallon will add another D-man at some point anyway so that should get better).

Goal-scoring is always a concern with this franchise, but I find it difficult to believe that Huby and Flash are going to be as terrible as they were last year. Jokinen might not be spectacular but he's definitely going to add some more scoring. We kept Boyes who provided scoring last year. Furthermore, I don't see why we have to expect Barkov/Bjugstad to either stay the same or bust. Maybe those guys improve even more? They have great potential.

I also like the toughness of our 4th line this year, for what it's worth. If MacKenzie is as good as Columbus fans say, we should have one of the better 4th lines in hockey which shows that our depth is as good as it's been in a very long time.

Unless we have a bunch of injuries, there's no way we're in the lottery again, imo. I think we'll be a bubble playoff team that can make it if some things go right for us.

Pretty much this. We got our best goalie duo and center lineup in 10 years if not more, we already have a better blueline then last year, and we got a better forward lineup then last year (okay thats pretty easy), I would be disappointed if we weren't in the race for a playoff spot next year with this roster.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
No way we are better than Washington after they got the D in free agency they needed and added a great defensive head coach. They will be in the playoffs. If our best players (Barkov, Bjugstad) are healthy I see us battling New Jersey, Carolina and Toronto for draft position. An injury to Barkov or Bjugstad for an extended time or Huberdeau and Flash seriously underachieve again and we are battling Buffalo and the Isles for Mcdavids services. Tallon's banking on Huby and Flash being the top 2 wingers in free agency he didn't go after so If they play like bums and don't score i can see us free fall.

I have little faith in both the Capitals goaltending and the fact that Niskanin will have a season as good as the one he had last year. Caps seem to always be that "just short" team.

Erick*

The Capitals spending money on defensemen doesn't really mean anything, imo. It's not how much you spend, but who you spend it on.

That Brooks Orpik deal is probably even worse than Bolland's.

I don't see how the Capitals are much better than the Panthers, if they even are at all. I think we can compete with them.

Erick*

Tallon feels there will be a bounce back with Hubs and Flash with Boyes, healthy Bergy, Jokinen and Pirri scoring like they showed last year. I feel like veterens like Boyes, Bergy and Jokinen can score at a projected number but the rest are question marks. You don't know what your going to get.

That's a lot of names, which is the good thing imo.
I'm sure some of those guys will disappoint, but some of them should also perform to expectations. Some will probably perform above expectations. That's why it's good to have depth.

I think, as somebody else mentioned, that Gallant's coaching style (whatever it is) will play a part in our success or demise. Also, hopefully we have a line or two throughout the year that unexpectedly finds chemistry. That's how certain teams perform above expectations and we're going to need that. The last two good teams we had, that's what happened. The playoff year, we had Flash-Weiss-Versteeg perform above expectations for the first 30+ games. The year we choked it up with Bouwmeester but stayed in contention, Peltonen-Campbell-Dvorak unexpectedly produced a lot.

I think that the Jokinen signing happened, in part, in hopes that he and Barkov can find chemistry since they're both Finnish-born players. We need to rely on chemistry, depth and our strong goaltending to have a chance. The goaltending should keep us in most games at least.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I feel like we'll be in the 80-86 point range. Only way we get above 90 points is if some of the young guys take a huge step forward.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
I'd say your top six are probably right. I like Washington to bounce back into at least the playoffs. The Jackets are steadily improving. If healthy, Detroit is still solid enough to make the playoffs. Also if healthy, there's no reason the Isles can't get closer to what they did the year before last. So I'd say we're about 11th, right there with Toronto.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The hype for the 2015 draft is starting to get out of hand, it is nowhere near as good as 30 top players.

I didn't mean to imply that there are 30 top players, but realistically the best case scenario is that we just squeak into the playoffs, in which case we'd still get a very good prospect. That's like a top 10 pick in most years. Idk how anyone wouldn't be happy with that.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
As usual, it will come down to see injuries and chemistry. Not just for us, but other teams in our conference as well. If we get some luck, we could definitely sneak in.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
im not big on washington this year still. if holtby doesn't play that great i don't like their chances. i got boston, tb, montreal, pittsburgh, nyr, philly as the top-6. detroit, columbus, us, washington, toronto, and nj will all have a shot at the last 2 spots. 6 teams for 2 spots. not too high on washington, toronto or nj, but they all still have a shot. i think ottawa, buffalo, nyi, and carolina will be the bottom 4 teams. i think it'll be between us, detroit, and columbus fighting for the last 2 spots.

but it'll all come down to who's that extra D we pick up. our health. and how our young guys like huberdeau-bjugstad-barkov-gudbranson-kulikov-ekblad all play. thats a lot of ifs but if it goes our way i could see us squeaking in. having luongo-montoya is huge, depending on who we pick up our D looks pretty solid, and our offense while young isnt terrible. a 20+goal season out of huberdeau would go a long way too, really hoping he bounces back.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
There's too many unpredictable details right now with this team to make a clear prediction. I'd say we could finish anywhere from 7th to 12th in the East. I think the kids like Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Kulikov, etc will really make the determination depending on how they progressed from last season to the next on where we finish. If guys like Flash and Kopecky return to the form they were two or three years ago, that can make a huge difference as well.

In 2012, many things went right which got us to finish first in a very weak division and into the playoffs. Likely, that has to happen again and in a much tougher division this time. My gut tells me we'll finish probably in 9th right outside of the playoffs, but small factors can determine whether they end up higher or lower. No matter what happens, I think we'll get to see much more exciting hockey easily than over the last two seasons.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The Devils are my darkhorse east prediction. With Brodeur being replaced by Kinkaid/Clemmer, it's a huge upgrade in that Schneider is starting way more games. I also love the Havlat and Cammy pickup, and there's no way they can be as bad in shootouts this year as last year, when it essentially cost them a playoff spot.

Tuco

Jul 30, 2007
We did it in 2012. Every year there's 1-2 teams that go from the bottom into a playoff berth. Every single year.

Losing culture is very difficult to change. We didn't manage to change it in 2012.

I think we have more work to do, and likely will stay well clear of playoffs. However, we will improve, which is ok in my opinion.

But anything's possible, of course, if all stars aline.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I didn't mean to imply that there are 30 top players, but realistically the best case scenario is that we just squeak into the playoffs, in which case we'd still get a very good prospect. That's like a top 10 pick in most years. Idk how anyone wouldn't be happy with that.
The best case scenario is we somehow get another 1st pick without giving up a young asset and that pick wins the lottery while we still make the playoffs. :D

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Bold prediction. We make the playoffs with that last wild card (8th) and force Detroit out of a playoff spot for the first time in 20+ years.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Having quality goaltending from the start will make a huge difference. Sure, Lu isn't in his prime anymore, but he is still way better than anything we've iced out there in a long while.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We where in pace for a WC spot from the firing of Dineen until shortly before the Olympic break. Now we got a better roster, and way better goalies, so i definitely think that this roster could reach a WC spot BUT, that's without major injuries and we all know that it will happen. So I say we will be in the race for a WC spot with this roster but we also know that we will see one or two more players before the season starts.

No we went down hill just before christmas.

if we don't add a proven 30 goal scorer, we are an 85 point team. Unless one of the kids goes ballistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad