Your playoff bandwagon teams (if we don't win)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would think TO tries to trade Marner or Nylander before even thinking of trading AM.
I could see Nylander but Marner IMO is the local boy and likely to stay for Life. Nylander has the best contract. It might just be getting out ahead of Matthews being able to walk just down the line. I doubt that want to trade any of tgem but it might be a necessity to get better all round

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It would be an interesting time for the Coyotes to make a pitch for a trade with Toronto. The Leafs are really up against the Cap and really have no way to address the D without sending high priced talent the other way. I wonder what fans would be willing to add to a high end D to get Matthews to AZ?? I would assume a young center would be necessary.

I'd assume it would start with OEL, Hayton and the rights to Hall and add from there until they said yes. We'd have to take back some salary other than Matthews obviously.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'd assume it would start with OEL, Hayton and the rights to Hall and add from there until they said yes. We'd have to take back some salary other than Matthews obviously.
Its too bad there wasn't a good RD under contract. The Leafs are pretty good on LD but really weak on the right side.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I might be castrated for this but if we get bounced early and as much as this pains me to say I’d like to see Toronto win. I can’t stand their fans but I do like their team and I like Matthews. But likely won’t happen anyway.
It if gives Matthew a cup and reason to return home to be a hometown hero the likes of which only Fitzgerald approaches, sure.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It would be an interesting time for the Coyotes to make a pitch for a trade with Toronto. The Leafs are really up against the Cap and really have no way to address the D without sending high priced talent the other way. I wonder what fans would be willing to add to a high end D to get Matthews to AZ?? I would assume a young center would be necessary.

You seem to be changing your tune a little bit on this.

We don't really have any proven young RD's on the roster however. So I think it would most likely have to start with Chychrun or OEL. Which one of these seems more appealing? Also, what does TOR's goalie pipeline look like?

Chychrun/OEL
Hayton
Jenik
Fischer (young, cheap, upside)
plus some picks

OR

Sodastrom
Dvo (reunites with Marner for magic)
Jenik
Fischer
plus picks or whatever to smooth it out.
*This one seems significantly worse. So maybe sub Jenik for Keller/Schmaltz. Just trying to play nice with the gap while spitballing.

Do either even get you thinking?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You seem to be changing your tune a little bit on this.

We don't really have any proven young RD's on the roster however. So I think it would most likely have to start with Chychrun or OEL. Which one of these seems more appealing? Also, what does TOR's goalie pipeline look like?

Chychrun/OEL
Hayton
Jenik
Fischer (young, cheap, upside)
plus some picks

OR

Sodastrom
Dvo (reunites with Marner for magic)
Jenik
Fischer
plus picks or whatever to smooth it out.
*This one seems significantly worse. So maybe sub Jenik for Keller/Schmaltz. Just trying to play nice with the gap while spitballing.

Do either even get you thinking?
My thinking changed when the world changed. I dont think the Leafs will be trying to trade Matthews but can see a scenario where it just might make some sense from a Cap and ream improvement point. I would think scenario 1 with Chick and someone besides Fischer could really make Dubas think??? The new NHL short term will see managing the Cap be just as important and every other role tge GM has and Dubas just got caught waiting for increases that aren't coming. Might be a great time for Chayka to push his chips in....

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
My thinking changed when the world changed. I dont think the Leafs will be trying to trade Matthews but can see a scenario where it just might make some sense from a Cap and ream improvement point. I would think scenario 1 with Chick and someone besides Fischer could really make Dubas think??? The new NHL short term will see managing the Cap be just as important and every other role tge GM has and Dubas just got caught waiting for increases that aren't coming. Might be a great time for Chayka to push his chips in....

Swap 2016 drafts?
Chychrun
Keller
One of Jenik/Maccelli/Capo
Plus some throw in picks/lower prospects/cheap youngish forwards we have

For
AZ Matthews
????

Or if the center is the deal breaker

Chychrun
Dvo
Jenik/Maccelli/Capo

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Swap 2017 drafts?
Chychrun
Keller
One of Jenik/Maccelli/Capo
Plus some throw in picks/lower prospects/cheap youngish forwards we have

For
AZ Matthews
????
I don't see Keller making sense for a team with Cap problems and at least 2 better wingers?? Hayton imo would have to be part of the equation.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What a get it would be for Chayka. Probably a pipedream but its a swing I would be making, especially if the Leafs crash again.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What a get it would be for Chayka. Probably a pipedream but its a swing I would be making, especially if the Leafs crash again.

Agreed. And another frustrated Matthews darting back to AZ as soon as the playoffs end may not look good to his teammates/coaches/managers

I agree with you that Marner is the face of TOR long term. Obviously if you can make it work where Matthews and Marner can be that you do that, but another first round exit with such a stacked team can't look good and in the end TOR has two 1C's and Marner is such a TOR boy. And, just to pump the brakes, I'm clearly discussing all of this from an AZ fan prospective. But at some point Dubas needs to be able to look at the roster and realize that if for three/four years in a row the roster can't make a dent in the playoffs and is up against the cap you have to make things work.

Chychrun
Hayton
Jenik
?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Preferably some very unpopular team, so people root for the Yotes next year, and don't feel that the Cup now just goes some rounds with the previous hasn't-got's. So I would probably end up rooting for all the wrong teams, like Boston, Chicago, Pens or even the Habs (they will "tank" in the play-ins, though).

OK, there is one exception. I want Zuccarello to have a cup. For him to get it, while the entire Wild-board goes up in flames as they realize he is a playoff-beast, that would be fun. Of course, with their goalies, this is a strech.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
As much as I hate New England teams, Boston. Tampa is my #2. Carolina is my #3. Stars are my #4 and Philly is #5.

I want the Yotes to get bounced by Nashville because I hate our team.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
As much as I hate New England teams, Boston. Tampa is my #2. Carolina is my #3. Stars are my #4 and Philly is #5.

I want the Yotes to get bounced by Nashville because I hate our team.

I want the Yotes to win because I hate Nashville.

Plus I've had a lot of enjoyable evenings at GRA and got two parking tickets during our last visit to Nashville.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I want the Yotes to win because I hate Nashville.

Plus I've had a lot of enjoyable evenings at GRA and got two parking tickets during our last visit to Nashville.
I dont mind Nashville. If it were Edmonton or LA I would have the same feelings. Well not the same feelings, never been to Nashville or Edmonton and never gotten parking tickets in LA.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I really like how CBJ is built. Don't think they'll win it all but they're fun to watch. Just think they drew a really tough first opponent in Toronto. Especially if Toronto deploys that Tavares-Matthews-Marner line. But in general I think CBJ is solid throughout. Don't think their goaltending can steal a game but it certainly won't cost them either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Anyone but the Jets and Leafs can win it all and I'll be happy

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Anyone but Calgary or Chicago or Toronto.

Worst thing about the Chicago/Edmonton series is it guarantees one of the teams will get into the lotto.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would think that Toronto's strategy would not ever include trading Matthews until he was on the back end of his contract. That said, if Toronto wanted to trade Matthews here. I would pay their price. I always believe in concentrating talent rather than diluting it over more players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad