Your Own Wild Draft (2014)

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Now that we know how the draft went, let's do our own draft. Don't take players that were not available at each selection. It will be fun to see how it turns out in 3-5 years. Keep the 79th pick.

18: Fabbri - 45 goals, some of the best hands in the draft, feisty player, clutch in playoffs.
79: Nelson Nogier - Big, mobile defenseman who punishes people in front of the net.
109: Kahkonen - highest ranked goalie for me that was left.
139: Rourke Chartier - speed, poise, and raw potential. Very shifty, competes well, can play PK. Has some offensive potential.
160: Hayden Hawkey - USHL goalie of the year. Good size. Quick goalie.
167: Edgars Kulda - Great Memorial Cup, improved his physical game, has good shot, and thinks game at high level.
169: Reid Duke - One of best at faceoffs, can handle puck at top speed, good on PP.
199: Sebastian Aho - small D man but said to have high hockey IQ, good puck skills, and gritty.

2 goalies, 4 forwards, and 2 D

EDIT: Added some comments since some other posters added great reasoning.

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
18: Jordan Schmaltz
79: Kyle Wood
109: Austin Poganski
139: Luc Snuggerud
160: David Westlund
167: Adam Ollas Mattsson
169: Hayden Hawkey
199: Jeff Taylor

My reasoning:

1.) I'm guessing Schmaltz will be good. Heard good things about him before the draft, and Chicago typically drafts some gems late in the 1st. Leaning on their scouting team with this pick.

2.) Wood - Funny last name.

3.) Poganski - St. Cloud native.

4.) Snuggerud - Dat name.

5.) Westlund + Mattsson - Swedish defenseman? One will pan out.

6.) Hawkey - Token goalie pick. Solid name. Shot in the dark.

7.) Taylor - Committed to Union College. They're pretty good at hockey.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
18: Jordan Schmaltz
79: Kyle Wood
109: Austin Poganski
139: Luc Snuggerud
160: David Westlund
167: Adam Ollas Mattsson
169: Hayden Hawkey
199: Jeff Taylor

:handclap:

I know development, teammates, and other things can skew this but it will still be fun to pull this thread up in a few years and see which players have done well.

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
Really thought we should of taken Ho-Sang at 18. He was arguably the best offensive player in the draft and seemed like a good guy in his interview at the draft. I think we should of taken the chance with him.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
While I don't dislike any of our picks, if I was GM I probably would have done some things differently for sure.

1st | 18th | Alex Tuch | Big body guy who can skate and has a good shot. Don't particularly love any of the other guys taken after him. Barbashev would have been nice but at the same time there are things not to like about him as well.

3rd | 79th | Brayden Point | I would not have traded back, first. Second, I would have gone with a center because if I value him the same as I value Belpedio I go for the guy who would alter my prospect pool. We have been drafting defenders lately and with young guys like Dumba, Olofsson, and Folin getting another seems redundant. Brayden Point seems to be the best Center available at that spot and while he might be a bit undersized he's still got a scoring touch and bringing in a solid center prospect when we only have Phillips should be a priority.

4th | 109th | Kaapo Kahkonen | A solid goalie is needed in this pool and Kahk seems to be that type of guy. I struggled a bit between him and Poganski but a goalie seems more important at this time.

5th | 139th | Luc Snuggerud | I would have tried to trade up to get Shane Gersich a few spots earlier but if not, taking a guy like Luc is a good option. Tanner Faith missed a large portion of the season due to a shoulder injury and while he seems like a good option to be a physical force on the backend, we have a few guys like that in the pool already. Getting a potential offensive/two way defender who doesn't have a potential long term/nagging injury is a larger concern than size.

6th | 160th | Reid Duke | I draft him higher than the Wild did because I would rather use the other picks on other players. Really like him from a value standpoint and could definitely see him developing into a solid player.

6th | 167th | Matthew Mistele | Two years ago he was a guy projected to go in the first two or three rounds. This year was a bad year and while two years doesn't make a trend, it concerns me. Even so, he obviously has some type of scoring touch and if he could re-develop what he seems to have lost he could be a great pick up this late in the draft.

6th | 169th | Sebastian Aho | A defender that lacks size but has great scoring ability. He might not have the greatest defense around but worst case scenario we move him to forward and see what happens.

7th | 199th | Ondrej Kase | I go back and forth between him, the Wild's actual pick Pavel Jenys, and Spencer Watson (fantastic scoring ability but pretty undersized) but end up going with the guy the other Czech. He pops in clutch goals, has some scoring ability, and could potentially turn into a great late round pick. Plus, his last name gives us more pun ability than either Jenys (what?) and Watson (Sherlock Holmes references aside).

End up with two LW, two C, one RW, two D, and one G.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
While I don't dislike any of our picks, if I was GM I probably would have done some things differently for sure.

1st | 18th | Alex Tuch | Big body guy who can skate and has a good shot. Don't particularly love any of the other guys taken after him. Barbashev would have been nice but at the same time there are things not to like about him as well.

3rd | 79th | Brayden Point | I would not have traded back, first. Second, I would have gone with a center because if I value him the same as I value Belpedio I go for the guy who would alter my prospect pool. We have been drafting defenders lately and with young guys like Dumba, Olofsson, and Folin getting another seems redundant. Brayden Point seems to be the best Center available at that spot and while he might be a bit undersized he's still got a scoring touch and bringing in a solid center prospect when we only have Phillips should be a priority.

4th | 109th | Kaapo Kahkonen | A solid goalie is needed in this pool and Kahk seems to be that type of guy. I struggled a bit between him and Poganski but a goalie seems more important at this time.

5th | 139th | Luc Snuggerud | I would have tried to trade up to get Shane Gersich a few spots earlier but if not, taking a guy like Luc is a good option. Tanner Faith missed a large portion of the season due to a shoulder injury and while he seems like a good option to be a physical force on the backend, we have a few guys like that in the pool already. Getting a potential offensive/two way defender who doesn't have a potential long term/nagging injury is a larger concern than size.

6th | 160th | Reid Duke | I draft him higher than the Wild did because I would rather use the other picks on other players. Really like him from a value standpoint and could definitely see him developing into a solid player.

6th | 167th | Matthew Mistele | Two years ago he was a guy projected to go in the first two or three rounds. This year was a bad year and while two years doesn't make a trend, it concerns me. Even so, he obviously has some type of scoring touch and if he could re-develop what he seems to have lost he could be a great pick up this late in the draft.

6th | 169th | Sebastian Aho | A defender that lacks size but has great scoring ability. He might not have the greatest defense around but worst case scenario we move him to forward and see what happens.

7th | 199th | Ondrej Kase | I go back and forth between him, the Wild's actual pick Pavel Jenys, and Spencer Watson (fantastic scoring ability but pretty undersized) but end up going with the guy the other Czech. He pops in clutch goals, has some scoring ability, and could potentially turn into a great late round pick. Plus, his last name gives us more pun ability than either Jenys (what?) and Watson (Sherlock Holmes references aside).

End up with two LW, two C, one RW, two D, and one G.

I like this list as well, TT. I had all of those guys on my list of 130.

I originally went with Point as well but had Nogier up there as well...and decided Nogier since I like his size, mobility, first pass, and his toughness.

As for the last pick, the only thing I have to go off of is two scouting reports. Kase and Watson had much better reports than Jenys did but the Wild's European scout must see something. Haula is obviously a steal, Graovac is showing some decent skill, so I can't get too upset with the pick.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Happy with our draft, but I would've made couple of changes:

1st - 18th: Alex Tuch. BPA, although some feel that Kapanen or Fabbri would've been better picks. However, I'm not 100% sold on either (although I do like Kapanen's skill set).

3rd - 80th: Ville Husso. We were rooting for Wild to draft him with a couple of friends. While I don't mind having another promising D-man in our prospect pool, I would've rather had Husso, who has shown far more promise than Kähkönen so far.

4th - 109th: Michael Bunting. A hard-working left winger who topped the VO2 max test in the combine, he hasn't had an easy path so far. An outstanding athlete, he's shown the ability to score points in minor juniors as well as in OHL last year. He has average NHL size at 6'0, weighs in at bit shy of 180lbs and is a classic bottom-six two-way winger with some offensive upside as well. He is one of the more intriguing prospects taken at this draft, simply due to the fact that he started playing at the major juniors only recently and is already doing very well. That means he's got talent, and definitely upside.

5th - 139th: Tanner Faith. It was a close call between him and Snuggerud, but in the end I went for the bigger guy who has flown under the radar this season. I like this pick for the Wild a lot, and although Snuggerud I feel has solid potential, I just feel like Tanner is going to be a good one. Dunno, just something about it, feels almost religious, it's like I have confidence in his development. Can't find the right word for it though :sarcasm:

6th - 160th: Aaron Irving. I like Pontus Sjalin as a real underdog pick, too, but Irving is someone I wanted before the draft at late rounds. A 6'1" right-handed D-man, he is more of a stay-at home guy but it doesn't mean his hands or feet are made of bricks and cement. In fact, his skating is quite smooth and he can make a good first pass. Not only that, but he plays a surprisingly mature game for a CHL D-man. Yes, that may mean that he doesn't have that much of an upside, but it also speaks for his hockey IQ and defensive awareness. Besides, he's got the fundamentals nailed down so he can focus on other aspects in his development like offensive ability. There's also one more reason I'd like to have him in our prospect pool: We're going to need a righty defensive guy in the future. We have some left-handed smaller two-way/offensive D-men in the pipeline, but we lack some defensive-minded D-men who play physical, no-nonsense hockey. And in general, most of those guys are lefties. A rare breed indeed.

6th - 167th: Waltteri Hopponen. Yeah, call me a homer, but I for one am really surprised he went undrafted. I wrote quite a long post about him in another thread, so if you don't mind, I'm going to quote myself on this one:

Puhis said:
Waltteri Hopponen. Oh boy, now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. He used to play in Jäähonka, one of Espoo's youth teams associated with Espoo Blues nowadays. He was quite skilled as a younger guy, definitely thought of as a good player - and he knew it. Had a reputation of one of those skill guys with an ego to match, but he has seemed to mature since then. Definitely not a typical, quiet Finn. He is definitely, as I said, skilled and has some great talent on the ice. His stats don't look bad either, in fact he scored around PPG rate throughout his junior career. He was given a shot at the Blues Jr. A team last season, and he produced 8 points in 18 games. Nothing spectacular, but he was a 16-year old playing in a U-20 team, so that's completely understandable.

After that, his career path gets interesting. He was drafted to WHL:s Everett Silvertips, where he only played one game, and moved to USHL and Sioux City Musketeers. That's right, he's following a rare path in Finnish hockey, moving to NA before the draft and playing high school hockey there. It's a bold move, but also helps players to get accustomed into American culture and differences in the game itself. We have seen what kind of a player Erik Haula turned into. With that said, Haula was considered even a first round talent a year before his draft, the move to U.S. clearly dropping his stock until he landed to Fletcher's lap. His first season in USHL was definitely promising points wise at least, as he managed to score 17 goals and 14 assists in 54 games.

Anyway, Waltteri is a skilled winger with good size (6'2" 192lbs according to Eliteprospects), but there are questions about his attitude. Some call him confident, others call him cheeky. Either way, he is definitely an intriguing prospect. He seems to be a PP asset, able to protect the puck well and has good hockey IQ which enables him to adapt quickly to different situations. In fact, he reminds me a lot of young, bigger version of Ville Leino. If you're interested in him, you can follow him (or his ego!) on Twitter: @WHopponen

All in all, he is an intriguing, while controversial prospect who definitely has talent and knows it. Time will tell whether he has the work ethic to match, but taking a swing at him in the later rounds wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. Even if his scoring doesn't translate to the next level, there's some pest potential in the young Finn.

6th - 169th: Reid Duke. I love his pick. That is all. One of those guys who could turn out to be steals of the draft, reminds me a lot of Erik Haula in both potential and style of play.

7th - 199th: Sebastian Aho. Yeah, he went undrafted. Why? No idea, but I guess there's a good reason for that. Still, I'd take a gamble on the small Swede here. Since I went for Irving in 5th, I figured a token Swedish D-man here doesn't hurt. Nothing against Pavel Jenys, he definitely sounds like an interesting prospect but Aho could turn out to be a properly good player - or a complete bust. Who knows. Either way, it was either him, Jenys or Spencer Watson.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00