Your Opinion-2018 WJC All Star Awards

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
What does your all star teams look like aftrr watching the tourny.

IMO

1st team

Mittlestatldt. E Pettersson
L. Andersson

Makar - Dahlin

Hart

2nd team

Tkachuk- Raddysh-Bellows
Fox-Timmins

Gustavsson

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Mittlestadt - Necas - Andersson
Dahlin - Hajek
Hart

Best goalie: Gustavsson
Best defenceman: Dahlin
MVP: Mittlestadt

I know different goalies for the all star team and best goalie makes no sense, but to have a SF team(potentially gold medal team) without anyone in there would be rare and they often have different goalies in there(different people vote) oddly enough so that's what I'm going with as of now, could change between now and when they vote(2nd intermission of GMG I think?)

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I hope Pettersson makes the All-Star team just to show the ridiculousness that he was snubbed on getting one of our team's 3 MVP awards over Nylander.

I think Dahlin wins the MVP on hype, dont know if he deserves it over some forwards.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I hope Pettersson makes the All-Star team just to show the ridiculousness that he was snubbed on getting one of our team's 3 MVP awards over Nylander.

I think Dahlin wins the MVP on hype, dont know if he deserves it over some forwards.
Yep that was pure ridiculousness he was monstrous. For the first two periods it was all about Pettersson and Dahlin for Sweden.

To some extent I guess Andersson and Liljegren were up there.

Have to say Nylander is getting far too little credit though, he is not nearly as bad as people claim, he is clearly holding his own. Just maybe not as dominant as some people were expecting when he got realeased.

Last edited:

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Have to say Nylander is getting far too little credit though, he is not nearly as bad as people claim, he is clearly holding his own. Just maybe not as dominant as some people were expecting when he got realeased.

He won (tied) the scoring lead in last year's WJC, and was 6th two years ago. His regular line is with two other top-10 draft picks, a top-15 drafted defender, and the best prospect Sweden may have ever had. Nothing short of him being top-3 in the scoring this year is a disappointment, but the way he has literally killed the cycle regularly for his line makes his impact negative.

He does not seem to want to put in the effort needed to excel, but think everything should just be handed to him due to his talents.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I'd have the Czech goalie over Hart
His numbers probably took a beating in that loss to Canada, but I still think you have a solid case. Korenar basically stood on his head for three games. You also can't overlook what Gustavsson has done for Sweden.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He won (tied) the scoring lead in last year's WJC, and was 6th two years ago. His regular line is with two other top-10 draft picks, a top-15 drafted defender, and the best prospect Sweden may have ever had. Nothing short of him being top-3 in the scoring this year is a disappointment, but the way he has literally killed the cycle regularly for his line makes his impact negative.

He does not seem to want to put in the effort needed to excel, but think everything should just be handed to him due to his talents.
Where you honestly expecting the same level of domination from him this year when he has played all of five games before the WJC this season? You have to remember he had his pre season completely f***ed by an injury and then didn't play until late november.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
His numbers probably took a beating in that loss to Canada, but I still think you have a solid case. Korenar basically stood on his head for three games. You also can't overlook what Gustavsson has done for Sweden.

I don't agree with Korenar. While I agree that he was solid throughout the tournament, I wouldn't think of him as an all-star team member. He had OK game vs Russia, then he was pulled after two goals conceided early in second period against Belarus (would not blame him on the goals though), then he replaced Skarek in the half of the game vs Switzerland where he was solid. Then he stood on his head in quarters against Finland, that was excellent performance, yes. Then against Canada - well, the goals weren't his fault but overally nothing so special in that game.
I don't even think he belongs to TOP3 of Czech team (Zadina should be there instead of him). But there is still one game ahead and it could change that.

Reactions: Rexor

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Although his numbers took a huge hit, if you're looking at it subjectively almost all of the goals Canada scored no goalie would stop (deflections etc.)

Hart, conversely, let in two goals that should have been stopped. Especially the second where he displayed abysmal rebound control.

Hart does not deserve top goalie of the tournament

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Who I think deserves it:

Pettersson-Necas-Kyrou

Makar-Dahlin

Hart

Goalie- Hart
Defenseman- Makar
MVP- Necas

Who I think the IIHF will give it to:

Mittlestat-Necas-Andersson
Dahlin-Hajek
Korenar

Goalie- Korenar
Defenseman- Dahlin
MVP- Mittlestat

In no way does the Czech goalie deserve goalie of the tournament over Hart.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Pronman came out with his click bait choices:

F Casey Mittelstadt-USA
F Martin Necas-Czech Republic
F Filip Zadina- Czech Republic
D Adam Fox-USA
D Rasmus Dahlin-Sweden
G Filip Gustavsson-Sweden
MVP Casey Mittelstadt-USA

Normally I like Pronman but that list is an effing joke and clearly done to drive traffic from Canada to his pay site. I understand why he did it as the Athletic needs to do anything to get people to pay for their site but still a terrible list nonetheless.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Pronman came out with his click bait choices:

F Casey Mittelstadt-USA
F Martin Necas-Czech Republic
F Filip Zadina- Czech Republic
D Adam Fox-USA
D Rasmus Dahlin-Sweden
G Filip Gustavsson-Sweden
MVP Casey Mittelstadt-USA

Normally I like Pronman but that list is an effing joke and clearly done to drive traffic from Canada to his pay site. I understand why he did it as the Athletic needs to do anything to get people to pay for their site but still a terrible list nonetheless.

It's exactly right. The only one I might change is Mete over Fox, but even that is debatable.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's exactly right. The only one I might change is Mete over Fox, but even that is debatable.

Fox had less points than Makar and was constantly walked all tournament long. There is not a chance he was better than Timmins or Makar plus you just mentioned Mete and that is only the Canadian guys that were better. The Czech guy was a much better player than Fox as well. So that's 3 guys that are clearly better options and at least 1 other that was in consideration.

Kyrou had more points than Zadina, Batherson scored the same amount goals and both guys team was way more impressive. Both guys clearly deserve to be there more than him.

Gustafsson is a bad choice over Hart but nothing really to scream about but with the rest of the choices seems like an odd choice.

Having two guys from each of the Czechs and USA who are clearly much worse than Canada and zero from Canada is laughable.

He is a writer for a pay site that realizes the Canadians care about this the most so if he leaves them off the list it drives a lot more traffic to his site than if he made a legit list.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Fox had less points than Makar and was constantly walked all tournament long. There is not a chance he was better than Timmins or Makar plus you just mentioned Mete and that is only the Canadian guys that were better. The Czech guy was a much better player than Fox as well. So that's 3 guys that are clearly better options and at least 1 other that was in consideration.

Kyrou had more points than Zadina, Batherson scored the same amount goals and both guys team was way more impressive. Both guys clearly deserve to be there more than him.

Gustafsson is a bad choice over Hart but nothing really to scream about but with the rest of the choices seems like an odd choice.

Having two guys from each of the Czechs and USA who are clearly much worse than Canada and zero from Canada is laughable.

He is a writer for a pay site that realizes the Canadians care about this the most so if he leaves them off the list it drives a lot more traffic to his site than if he made a legit list.

The problem for the guys that you mentioned is that they weren't really standouts, even on their own teams. Canada plays and looks like a squad where anyone is interchangeable. That can be a good thing for a team, but it's a bad thing for individual awards.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The problem for the guys that you mentioned is that they weren't really standouts, even on their own teams. Canada plays and looks like a squad where anyone is interchangeable. That can be a good thing for a team, but it's a bad thing for individual awards.

Makar was definitely a standout and Timmins was named one of the top 3 players on his team. Kyrou was tied for 3rd in the tournament scoring and Batherson led the tournament in goals scored.

I am not sure how that was not standing out for their team.

And again with Fox how did he standout when he was repeatedly a huge defensive liability?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Necas - Mittelstadt - Bellows
Dahlin - Timmins
Durny

G: Durny
D: Dahlin

MVP pick could swing in the remaining 2 games.

Out of curiosity on what basis is Bellows there ahead of say Kyrou or Batherson?

All he brings is goal scoring and Batherson has matched that while being a better all round player. Kyrou has beat his point total while again being better overall and both players play for a team that actually was impressive during the tournament.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Out of curiosity on what basis is Bellows there ahead of say Kyrou or Batherson?

All he brings is goal scoring and Batherson has matched that while being a better all round player. Kyrou has beat his point total while again being better overall and both players play for a team that actually was impressive during the tournament.

I based my picks on the games I watched, which was all of them minus the Denmark games, SWI/BLR, and Canada vs. Denmark, Slovakia and the Swiss game after the 1st (as I expected those games to be blowouts and didn't think I could glean much prospect-wise).

I didn't even look at the point totals, just based on who I thought had the best tournaments from what I saw.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

You are wrong. There is nothing wrong with not having Canadians on the list. Canada scored by committee in this tournament. While you can make a case for many of them, it's hardly "an effing joke" to have none there. Fox played huge minutes for the US and generated a ton of key goals and many other chances. Makar while very good, didn't play the big minutes and top competition to unquestionably be ahead of him. Canada having a more impressive team is a completely useless argument as to why Kyrou/Batherson should be ahead of Zadina. Zadina and Necas basically carried that Czech team to the semis...to me, that's more valuable than what either of them did. Hart has not been tested much and hasn't been something incredible this tournament either...Gustavsson overall has been the better goalie. Take off the homer glasses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad