Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
zomfg_zpsf6925084.jpg

:laugh: perfect. love it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Let's remember that last year we went through a rough patch near the end of the regular season too, that was even worse, we lost 4 consecutive division games against the Flyers, Pens, Rangers and couldn't make 2 decent passes in a row.

We are playing bad but there's a ton of experience in that locker-room, they've seen that a million of times.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Let's remember that last year we went through a rough patch near the end of the regular season too, that was even worse, we lost 4 consecutive division games against the Flyers, Pens, Rangers and couldn't make 2 decent passes in a row.

We are playing bad but there's a ton of experience in that locker-room, they've seen that a million of times.

There were 2 big rough patches. Going into the All Star break and going into the last stretch of the season where it seems like they got shut out nearly every game.

Both times they came out on big winning streaks playing some of their best hockey.

If this team didn't have the character and the coaching that it does, I'd be a little more worried.

foxboro24

Feb 20, 2013
Jersey Shore

This.

I hate the sky is falling fans (not that I am calling you guys this but the comments have been skyisfalling-esque) we need to realize that if we didn't go on the great run to start the season we would love to be in the position we are in. We are truely a playoff type team, we just need to get in and watch out the scoring will come just be patient and the defense is a strength they just need to get back on track

apice3*

We played 3 game in 4 days, had two nights off, and then 3 game in 4 days. We were definitely tiring as the game went on.

And now we have 3 nights off to rest.

Problem is after this game in Winnipeg, we have three straight stints of 3 games in 4 days to start the month. First half of March is brutal scheduling. The bright side of that, I guess, is 5 of those 9 games are home and 1 is in Philly, so there's not a ton of travel. I just hope we have a new body in the lineup, and with this being our longest time of not playing for the next month, it's an ideal time to do it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

We played 3 game in 4 days, had two nights off, and then 3 game in 4 days. We were definitely tiring as the game went on.

And now we have 3 nights off to rest.

Problem is after this game in Winnipeg, we have three straight stints of 3 games in 4 days to start the month. First half of March is brutal scheduling. The bright side of that, I guess, is 5 of those 9 games are home and 1 is in Philly, so there's not a ton of travel. I just hope we have a new body in the lineup, and with this being our longest time of not playing for the next month, it's an ideal time to do it.

I thought we were going to have a pretty solid blueline this year, especially considering we have 8 NHL caliber d-men on the roster but that's not the case atm. We have 3 d-men that should be playing on a every day basis and 5 who are showing some pretty evident weaknesses.

I know we work as a commity but I think we need to add a top #6 forward and a reliable d-men. I know there's a massive logjam at the blueline but our overall defensive play has regressed drasticaly since last year. Salvador's magical cup run has thrown a monkey wrench in our depth chart so far cause I think everyone kind of expected that #7 and Anton were going to give us meh minutes anyways.

apice3*

The defense is still superb 5v5. The issue is the penalty kill.

A few weeks ago, this team gave up 5 total goals in a 5 game stretch against Tampa, Pittsburgh x2, and both NY teams. Only 3 of those5 goals came 5v5.

Here's the breakdown of goals the last 12 games:

Total: 29 goals (2.41 per game)
Even Strength: 14
PPG: 13
SHG: 1
EN: 1

That's a really good total even strength. The PK is AWFUL so far. It doesn't help that alot of those penalties are dumb ones.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

A few weeks ago, this team gave up 5 total goals in a 5 game stretch against Tampa, Pittsburgh x2, and both NY teams. Only 3 of those5 goals came 5v5.

Total: 29 goals (2.41 per game)

That's a really good total even strength. The PK is AWFUL so far. It doesn't help that alot of those penalties are dumb ones.

The only problem 5 on 5 with the defense is the break out game. It has been subpar during this slump, but it was good when we were winning so I think they are capable.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Total: 30 goals (2.5 per game)

Very solid info right there.

I just feel that we have too many "meh" blueliners and that we don't know who to pick from. If Anton is here mostly for his PK duties, is it fair to say that he's basically irrelevant atm cause his PK efforts as of late or plain horrible PLUS he's taking too many bonehead penalties cause he can't keep up.

Salvador is looking like the Salvador I kept crapping on a couple of years ago. He just doesn't resemble anything like the Sal we saw during our cup run and let's hope that he'll turn the corner eventually, cause we all saw that he can give us more then what we're seeing atm.

apice3*

I'm very confident in this team 5v5. I really don't think there are many better teams.

On the PK, I have no confidence whatsoever. I'm just waiting for the breakdown.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Not directly correlated but the PK took a nosedive right around the time Zubrus went down.
Really missing that Elias & Zubrus pairing.
Elias is starting to find some PK chemistry with Henrique, though - which is good. They were a bit off for a while, specifically the Carolina game.

DevilChuk*

Not directly correlated but the PK took a nosedive right around the time Zubrus went down.
Really missing that Elias & Zubrus pairing.
Elias is starting to find some PK chemistry with Henrique, though - which is good. They were a bit off for a while, specifically the Carolina game.

I think it's directly correlated. Me thinks the PK unit is suffering from Zajac's poor taste in music..

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'm very confident in this team 5v5. I really don't think there are many better teams.

On the PK, I have no confidence whatsoever. I'm just waiting for the breakdown.

The PP hasn't been good either

It looks good setup wise with guys constantly moving around the zone creating confusion and constant puck movement, its just we haven't been executing it well because of bad passing, the puck being stuck along the boards or just not being able to keep it in the zone

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The PP is good when it has more space (5-3, 4-3) but they've been atrocious 5-4.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
About Josefson,

I don't care about positioning in the draft. The draft is done and top picks always go down and later picks occasionally make an impact. That is a moot point and irrelevant at this stage.

The issue is that you needed him to be healthy, which he has, and start making improvements from what we've seen in the prior years: good D, speedy forechecking, and some playmaking. Instead we have a Jo who was on the ice for every goal against. There isn't any excuses any more considering Lokti jumped into his spot and started to produce his way into the top 6.

Sure draft is a crap shoot, but just the same, it's not absurd to expect good play from a 1st rnd pick.

But whatever the reasoning we expected the guy to play much better then he has.

Josefson played his heart out yesterday, but when you play the game like you have a gun strapped to the side of your head, you're bound to make mistakes. I'm not trying to defend him but that's just reality.

I'm really liking what I see out of Lokti and if he can make Josefson expendable, then so be it.

No don't see a lack of effort, but he is certainly out of sync, and confidence seems to be a major issue.

Starting to look like some poor drafting, especially at the forward position is finally comeback to hurt this team. Now that Clarkson and Andy Greene have come back to earth where seeing the team that many experts predicted. It's not just giving up so many goals on the pk, we're really not scoring much. 1 or 2 goals is not going to cut it in todays NHL. And moose looks like he finally hit a cold streak, he wasn't good.

Game yesterday, and Ottawa a couple days ago, is more then just lack of goal scoring. Again, out of sync, and lack of energy.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Bah I hope its just a long rough stretch. If they can right the ship they might not be back on top of the division but they should fall comfortably into the 5-7 spot. Of course if they don't... PANIC

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The PP hasn't been good either

It looks good setup wise with guys constantly moving around the zone creating confusion and constant puck movement, its just we haven't been executing it well because of bad passing, the puck being stuck along the boards or just not being able to keep it in the zone

True but that has been our problem during the slump no matter the situation. If the team isn't executing well most of the game, hard to expect it to suddenly click on the PP. When we start playing better the special teams will improve with it.

PK did start to falter when Zubs went down, and it faltered more because JJ regressed from his solid defensive play earlier in the season. I just don't buy that the reason the PK is bad right now is missing Zach. We went through a period where we killed like 29 out of 29 this year, and it looked just as dangerous as last year. They just need to work on it and execute again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad