GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs. San Jose Sharks, 7 PM, MSGSN

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
View attachment 776620

Not much needs to be added. I believe goalie skill exists, you guys do not.
It’s easy to see why those goalies were terrible. Most weren’t NHL caliber. Gillies isn’t even with an AHL team right now, if that tells you anything.

Hammond retired after that year.

Daws wasn’t NHL caliber. He should have never played that many games.

Gillies was a worse goaltending performance than anyone this year.

He had a .885% on a .905% expected on moneypuck. None of this year’s goalies are at an expected .905%.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still think Vitek is a fine goalie, but it’s over here. He’s psychologically f***ed here.

Schmid is too early to tell. He may very well never be NHL caliber. He kind of lucked into having a spot last year because Blackwood is an injury case.

I firmly believe what’s happening this year would have been last year’s result of Blackwood didn’t get injured in the first week of November. We would have had a similar record around December 1st of last year because they would have played Blackwood about half of the games or so.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What's hilarious is that you can't acknowledge that we have played maybe two complete games all season, lost two of our top defenders to free agency and forced everyone up the ladder, are playing a wide open freewheeling style; but somehow it's just bad goaltending and it'll be fixed if we just get the right guy.

When we obviously play bad defense, we've fried what, 11 goalies now in the past couple of years?

Most were already cooked...

I don't think Vitek and a 23 year old Schmidt are washed up though. Unless you along with bleed think that Vitek was hopelessly broken by our complete shit play in the first few games against the Rangers.

My whole point is that nothing changes unless we start playing decent hockey with fewer catastrophic mistakes. We will just fry the next guy after N games if standing on his head.
You spent YEARS shitting on Severson and saying how brain dead he was and how he didn’t know how to play defense. Luke Hughes is already a more valuable piece than he was last year. Severson was not an impressive in zone defender, Luke is not even a downgrade there so far.

Really, the dip in D we’re seeing comes largely from our best defensive Ds not being particularly good.

I don’t think Schmid is cooked, I still think he can be an average NHL goalie this year. And he was that before last game. I really think Vitek might be broken for whatever reason. His play fell off before the playoffs (maybe that was physical with the big workload) and then the train wreck playoffs killed him mentally.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Regarding Timo, I'm willing to chalk that up to rust. He didn't even get a practice with the team in that I can recall. Thankfully, he'll have some days here to practice and get back to game speed.

This is always a tough road trip, so having several days between when they end up leaving for Vancouver will hopefully be beneficial.
He was pushed into service a few days before he was ready and it showed. Not his fault completely but he could have reacted quicker in all situations where he was involved even if he wasn't going 100% speed. Jack on the other hand... you can't ride the magic of the other night and expect to dazzle everyone with your moves. Some really bad decisions trying to keep the puck too long and forcing the situation rather than playing it safe between the blue lines.

Bahl has no business trying to pinch and force the attack when they were just getting back the momentum. Can't be leaving Marino facing an odd man rush. Recognize what you're primary job is and keep it simple.

Schmid really needed a better effort even if he was gassed from the night before. The defeated mentality started to take over far too easily. I think this squad needs a team psychologist.

1701543783183.jpeg

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
this year? Yes, absolutely he is.

now, how many of those guys are still playing and if they are, what are their stats? You guys that bring this fact up are acting like we had Brodeur, MArty, Hasek, and MAF back there. No, the guys we had that year were terrible goalies for the most part.
Blackwood was worse last year with us than he is now with a different team. Vitek is now worse than Blackwood while still playing for us. Why do you think this might be happening? It’s just a total coincidence? You don’t find this pattern and correlation the least bit suspicious?

As far as those past goalies go, yeah most of them were quite bad. But all of them posted the worst stats in the league that year. Again…these are just coincidences? What are the odds that one team can acquire that many of the absolute worst players at a specific position in such a short timeframe?

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Blackwood was worse last year with us than he is now with a different team. Vitek is now worse than Blackwood while still playing for us. Why do you think this might be happening? It’s just a total coincidence? You don’t find this pattern and correlation the least bit suspicious?

As far as those past goalies go, yeah most of them were quite bad. But all of them posted the worst stats in the league that year. Again…these are just coincidences? What are the odds that one team can acquire that many of the absolute worst players at a specific position in such a short timeframe?

Vitek was in the same system as Blackwood was last year and was the far better goalie. I have no idea what point you are trying to prove.

Blackwood sucks. He has been better than Vitek to start this year, in 15 games or whatever it is. Both things can be true.

yes, all those goalies are essentially out of the league. So i dont care that they had "worse" numbers in NJ. They were all bad goalies, both in NJ and after.

Reactions: glenwo2

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
All the posters are in their usual corners fighting their usual battles with the usual opposition with the the rest of posters coming in and out as support medics for the various factions and throwing support/resupply as needed, or watching the royal battles from the sides.

In other words, a typical NJD HFB day when things start getting hairy in the season.

Lovejoy made no mistakes last night on the blueline and was not on for a goal against. Prove me wrong losers.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On four of those five goals, the Devils skaters did not execute. It was mainly boneheaded, lazy play. That is inexcusable, more than the goalie play.

Goal 1 - Horrible turnover by Timo. Should have chipped it up the boards. Did not backcheck and let his assignment have a wide open backdoor goal.

Goal 2 - Deflection. Not much to complain about.

Goal 3 - Terrible turnover by Hughes. I think Schmid could have played it slightly better and not committed as much to the shooter. Perhaps he could have slid over quicker. I don't particularly blame him, as much as I do Hughes here.

Goal 4 - Each of the 3 forwards are behind the play near their opponents Goal line. Why is the Devils left D pinching here? Why does Marino lazily poke check the puck carrier and not contain to allow forward help. Why does Mercer slow down on the back check. It was a nice breakaway play by Duclair. Many more to blame then the goalie.

Goal 5 - Nice breakout play by Sharks. I don't like the weak poke check by Schmid here. Would like for him to get more on it. Luke looked absolutely lost on clearing the crease here. The forwards did not seem to care and backcheck hard. All around, a lot to blame here. This is the one I put blame on Schmid for, but he's not alone.

On top of that, Schmid probably shouldn't have played this game. Who knows if a more energized goalie slides across quicker on Goal 3 or has a better effort on Goal 5. What I do know, is Ruff better rip the players over their lackadaisical play and bone headed turnovers.
Yeah, I’d also nail him with goal 3, but I mostly agree with this.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
You spent YEARS shitting on Severson and saying how brain dead he was and how he didn’t know how to play defense. Luke Hughes is already a more valuable piece than he was last year. Severson was not an impressive in zone defender, Luke is not even a downgrade there so far.

Really, the dip in D we’re seeing comes largely from our best defensive Ds not being particularly good.

I don’t think Schmid is cooked, I still think he can be an average NHL goalie this year. And he was that before last game. I really think Vitek might be broken for whatever reason. His play fell off before the playoffs (maybe that was physical with the big workload) and then the train wreck playoffs killed him mentally.
As someone pointed out earlier, and I pointed out above (about everyone having to move up the ladder). Severson was fantastic on the third pair. Absolutely one of our most valuable guys last year, and he was complete trasha as a top pair despite years of you saying he was a #1 defenseman. I don't think I said a bad word about his play last year for the first time since his very first season.

Last year Graves and Marino took on the top assignment and were absolutely wonderful in that role and stabilized the whole D corps, taking pressure off Dougie to play his game. he and Siegs did just fine against 2nd lines but look lost this year against top lines.

The third pair with Smith and Severson was a luxury that could calm things down.

Right now we have a struggling top pair, a struggling mid pair where Marino and Bahl are not on the same page with pinches nor coverage (witness last night) and a wonderful rookie who is prone to rookie mistakes.

This is a learning year and I hope they figure it out.. But there's allot more wrong than just goalies and it'll take more than a goalie transplant to fix it

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Lovejoy made no mistakes last night on the blueline and was not on for a goal against. Prove me wrong losers.

And your corner... one of the most unique corners on this board...

(..or back alley....?)

<Looks for more of my3sons enterouge>

Edit:

Peter Harrold however... he was lost again.

....Annnnnd we found one

:laugh:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Vitek was in the same system as Blackwood was last year and was the far better goalie. I have no idea what point you are trying to prove.

Blackwood sucks. He has been better than Vitek to start this year, in 15 games or whatever it is. Both things can be true.

yes, all those goalies are essentially out of the league. So i dont care that they had "worse" numbers in NJ. They were all bad goalies, both in NJ and after.
The point is that we all know Blackwood is worse than Vitek yet Vitek is not only worse than him this year he’s basically the worst in the league.

Furthermore Blackwood the bad goalie is nonetheless getting better numbers than he did here.

The fact that the bad goalies we had two years ago were not just bad, they were the worst in the league, is an important point because it’s part of a pattern. It’s one thing to have bad goalies. It’s a completely other thing to have like half a dozen who are not just bad but turn in the worst stats in the league. Just from a logical randomness standpoint, the odds of that many players all being legitimately as bad as the stats suggested that season doesn’t seem very high.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
As someone pointed out earlier, and I pointed out above (about everyone having to move up the ladder). Severson was fantastic on the third pair. Absolutely one of our most valuable guys last year, and he was complete trasha as a top pair despite years of you saying he was a #1 defenseman. I don't think I said a bad word about his play last year for the first time since his very first season.

Last year Graves and Marino took on the top assignment and were absolutely wonderful in that role and stabilized the whole D corps, taking pressure off Dougie to play his game. he and Siegs did just fine against 2nd lines but look lost this year against top lines.

The third pair with Smith and Severson was a luxury that could calm things down.

Right now we have a struggling top pair, a struggling mid pair where Marino and Bahl are not on the same page with pinches nor coverage (witness last night) and a wonderful rookie who is prone to rookie mistakes.

This is a learning year and I hope they figure it out.. But there's allot more wrong than just goalies and it'll take more than a goalie transplant to fix it
Things also look worse when everything goes in. Last year 91.7% of shots were being saved with Marino out there. This year 85.4%. It’s never been lower than 91 in his career.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
This is it. I have faith in the core, but some things have to be ironed out. Most notably the goaltending and the coaching. The window just opened and we haven’t seen this team’s final contender form yet.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Things also look worse when everything goes in. Last year 91.7% of shots were being saved with Marino out there. This year 85.4%. It’s never been lower than 91 in his career.
Lol. So you're saying the goaltenders are saving their badness for when Marino is in the ice? Not that maybe the fact that his pairing is struggling this year much worse than last year?

I'm really interested to see what our D pairings are going to be.

Bahl marino
Luke siegs
Miller Nemec I guess?

That's a far cry from what we had. Maybe it'll get the forwards to actually play a tighter game out of necessity.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Lol. So you're saying the goaltenders are saving their badness for when Marino is in the ice? Not that maybe the fact that his pairing is struggling this year much worse than last year?

I'm really interested to see what our D pairings are going to be.

Bahl marino
Luke siegs
Miller Nemec I guess?

That's a far cry from what we had. Maybe it'll get the forwards to actually play a tighter game out of necessity.
You’ve never seen a 20 something game stretch of the puck going in more than you’d expect? Marino hasn’t been good, but there’s obviously lots of poor luck going on here.

Idk,
Luke-Marino
Sieg-Nemec
Bahl-Miller
Smith 4th line for PK

No Dougie is a hit, but he’s also “bad” defensively. I was extremely impressed with Nemec, but he’ll be up and down like most teens are.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Goal 3 - Terrible turnover by Hughes. I think Schmid could have played it slightly better and not committed as much to the shooter. Perhaps he could have slid over quicker. I don't particularly blame him, as much as I do Hughes here.
Siegenthaler was incredibly lost and unaware on this play.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This game has me pissed so much.

No one on either side will be laughing when the Sharks miss the first overall pick by just one or two points and we miss the playoffs by just one or two points. We can both look back on this disaster.

I had a few bad dreams after this game. One of them was yet another player on our team being out with a long term injury.

I won’t say who it was, other than it was a guy that hasn’t been injured yet this season.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Seigs and Marino have been brutal this year. Last year they were studs, especially Marino. Bahl in a bigger role has been up and down with some great games but with some stinkers but overall worse. Dougie has been worse this year as well, Smith is Smith and Luke has been good. Maybe a wash with Severson in gaffs but a little better overall. We’re giving up .81 more goals a game than last year, hooooo boy.

All that combined combined with the goaltending has tanked us. I really think like others have said that Vitek seems to be toast mentally and it’s messing with his game big time.

I’m leaning towards having a league average goalie, which VV was, isn’t going to make much of a difference especially with the way the above mentioned D have been playing. I guess that’s the only way to prove this argument either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Seigs and Marino have been brutal this year. Last year they were studs, especially Marino. Bahl in a bigger role has been up and down with some great games but with some stinkers but overall worse. Dougie has been worse this year as well, Smith is Smith and Luke has been good. Maybe a wash with Severson in gaffs but a little better overall.

All that combined combined with the goaltending has tanked us. I really think like others have said that Vitek seems to be toast mentally and it’s messing with his game big time.

I’m leaning towards having a league average goalie, which VV was, isn’t going to make much of a difference especially with the way the above mentioned D have been playing. I guess that’s the only way to prove this argument either way.
Ya at this point. Bahl’s a fine 3rd pair dman. Miller is solid enough to play. Nemec and Hughes are good enough and exciting.

The biggest thing we need (along with goaltending consistency), is for Siegenthaler and Marino to be the top 4 defensive studs we’ve seen them be before. That would solidify our d group. In the most ideal world where those 2 our playing good we run something like this.

Hughes-Marino
Siegenthaler-Nemec
Bahl-Miller

Reactions: JK3

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I wrote this before, this loss should fall on everyone.

I want the goalies to be better but starting Schmid after he faced over 40 shots the night before was Stupid. He hasn’t had a regular work load and they overload him. He is still better than VV but now we will see VV starting again.

The defense sucks. Yes the shots were low, but this team is so bad transitioning out of the zone. The defense has a problem with playing pucks in the neutral zone and allow other teams to skate through them. I am frustrated because the biggest problem is Siegs, Bahl and Marino, Smith’s penalties. These are suppose to be the “defensive”guys. They haven’t contribute much to scoring.

It will be much easier to trade for a defenseman. Unless you want Gibson and his contract/age are risky.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
No one on either side will be laughing when the Sharks miss the first overall pick by just one or two points and we miss the playoffs by just one or two points. We can both look back on this disaster.

If that happens there is always way more than just 1 game and moment that you can point towards as to why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad