GDT: your NEW JERSEY DEVILS in EDMONTON taking on THOSE GUYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafers34

Feb 26, 2013
Awesome, I'm gunna watch the game tomorrow so I'll get to see for myself. I'm hoping he can stick around

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
This was the lineup we iced a year ago [1/14/16]. It could be worse I guess, then again maybe not cause we're pretty damn awful with what's supposed to be a better lineup.

MqtnR76.jpg

Holy turd that is a bad lineup

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Lmao good god that lineup is making my eyes bleed

How in the world are we worse off than we were with that ECHL lineup

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Blames things on Lou but also demands we call up Lou/Conte draft picks.

The problem with the team is that most of our new talent isn't developed yet (that takes time. A shocking concept, I know), while the current roster is very badly coached.

Switch the coach out and we are a bubble team at worst. Give the kids a year or two to develop and we are a playoff team.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That top 4 is better than any top 4 we've iced this year, and Greene/Larsson was good for 20 minutes of reliable play every night.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Blames things on Lou but also demands we call up Lou/Conte draft picks.

The problem with the team is that most of our new talent isn't developed yet (that takes time. A shocking concept, I know), while the current roster is very badly coached.

Switch the coach out and we are a bubble team at worst. Give the kids a year or two to develop and we are a playoff team.

I would say it's more a lack of new talent. We have young players that need more time to develop. That I agree with. But I think when theu are developed we are looking at 2nd liners at best, more likely 3rd liners. And on D, it's 3/4 guys, but no 1 or 2s. It's just a lack of blue chip prospects in general.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Looking at the OT goal, would have liked Merrill to take away either the shot or pass. Kinda got caught in no man's land.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I would say it's more a lack of new talent. We have young players that need more time to develop. That I agree with. But I think when theu are developed we are looking at 2nd liners at best, more likely 3rd liners. And on D, it's 3/4 guys, but no 1 or 2s. It's just a lack of blue chip prospects in general.

I agree. Folks like to be optimistic, but even if guys like Coleman, Q, Blandisi and so forth ever become full time players they are not premium prospects by any measure. Of forwards either under contract for the next few years and in or approaching their prime, we have one top line player (Hall), and two second line players (Henrique and Palmieri). And that's really it unless and until Zacha does something. The D situation is even worse. We are still looking at some lean years ahead.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Looking at the OT goal, would have liked Merrill to take away either the shot or pass. Kinda got caught in no man's land.

Merrill is not good at defending 2 on 1's. I forget the game in Newark a few weeks ago but he did the same thing that night as well.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Didn't stay up to watch the game because my beauty sleep was more important. Just wish that if we were going to lose (pretty much a given), we'd done it in regulation. Ah, well, onto the next game, which we'll probably lose...

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Merrill is not good at defending 2 on 1's. I forget the game in Newark a few weeks ago but he did the same thing that night as well.

He tried to take away the pass, but it's McDavid. If you watch the play, he subtly changes the angle of the puck about 3 times in the span of a couple seconds. Nearly impossible to defend unless Merrill lays out on the ice. Just a world class play, not really Merrill's fault.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

While I would normally agree, it's really a pick your poison moment and as mentioned above, McDavid is a world class player. He defended the pass up until the last moment and thought he had a chance to cut his angle completely, was really a very good play.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
While I would normally agree, it's really a pick your poison moment and as mentioned above, McDavid is a world class player. He defended the pass up until the last moment and thought he had a chance to cut his angle completely, was really a very good play.

It's also not like Draisaitl is some scrub, that's as a tough a 2-1 on you're going to defend in this league regardless of the team.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's also not like Draisaitl is some scrub, that's as a tough a 2-1 on you're going to defend in this league regardless of the team.

Exactly. I rewatched it and he actually played it pretty well considering he got left out to dry. McDavid just did everything right to wait Merrill out.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
On the brighter side of things, I am REALLY liking Santini's game. Not just for his defensive work, but for a guy that is a stay-at-home, he is actually pretty decent at moving the puck. Way better than Lovejoy or Quincey.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Are people really ragging on Merrill for not stopping a 2v1 with McDavid and Draisaitl?

Wtf was Henrique doing? He looked like he was going to play the puck, then he jumped on the bench. Wood isn't going to hop on the ice when Henrique is so close to touching the puck.

I also don't know why Wood wasn't laying out to block that pass. He let up at the last second.

Poor Cory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad