GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Boston Bruins, 7 PM, MSG+: A Birthday Ode to Nico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As a point of comparison...on a scale of Blackwood to Mike Smith how cooked is Dubnyk to the point of signing him for the rest of the regular season and hope that does something positive.

Other than that, we would have to find a team juggling three goalies or has an expendable backup who can be trusted in a starter role - that's a small niche that don't see around the league at all.

Actually, you know, Seattle has a good amount of money in goaltending. Perhaps we can make good trading partners with them and try and poach Dreiger off of their hands.
He's pretty cooked. We're better off giving Gillies a shot before we go the Dubnyk route.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
When he started moving behind the net 88 wasn’t cutting in front of the net yet and he clearly thought McLeod still had good enough body position on him. McLeod is the one who got beaten. Smith took a bad route and didn’t recover for McLeod.

As a dman, your job is to protect the front of the goal. He went in no mans land behind the net and actually made two mistakes on one play.

That’s basically defence #101.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'm sure this has been talked about, but what happened to Ty Smith? Was he benched?
No camp. Possible injury nagging. Sophomore Season. Hope he rebounds at some point season and into next season.

As for tonight. Horrendous play (or lack there of) against Pastrnak late in the third. Didn’t take the body.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Wolf Stansson 30

Former Gunnar Stahl 30
Jan 4, 2018
No camp. Possible injury nagging. Sophomore Season. Hope he rebounds at some point season and into next season.

As for tonight. Horrendous play against Pastrnak. Didn’t take the body.
I just don't remember seeing him most of the second half of the game

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
As a dman, your job is to protect the front of the goal. He went in no mans land behind the net and actually made two mistakes on one play.

That’s basically defence #101.
That’s on McLeod before Smith. Yes I’ve already said he shouldn’t be following Hall behind the net. It’s a bad route to take.
But
From this position here McLeod should be able to stop 88 from cutting in front of the net and Smith reasonably isn’t very worried about that happening. McLeod is the one who got beat.

It’s every player on the ices job to protect the from of the goal. It was McLeod’s job to stop 88 from getting to a dangerous position.

Attachments

• D70F579C-E890-42DC-8377-D938D7FB3E9D.jpeg
    D70F579C-E890-42DC-8377-D938D7FB3E9D.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 7

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Khudobin is signed for next year. Not a reasonable option. Why would the Devils trade for Halak, who is a UFA at the end of the season? The Habs are already in full tank mode, they don't have to try to be bad, and Jake Allen is signed for next season; I see no reason why they would do this.

Who’s our backup next year? If your answer is Bernier, then that’s bad news for us in 2022-23.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Who’s our backup next year? If your answer is Bernier, then that’s bad news for us in 2022-23.

It's better than Khudobin. I have no idea who the backup is, what I know is that it makes no sense for Montreal to move Jake Allen this season or for the Devils to acquire him.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
That’s on McLeod before Smith. Yes I’ve already said he shouldn’t be following Hall behind the net. It’s a bad route to take.
But
From this position here McLeod should be able to stop 88 from cutting in front of the net and Smith reasonably isn’t very worried about that happening. McLeod is the one who got beat.

It’s every player on the ices job to protect the from of the goal. It was McLeod’s job to stop 88 from getting to a dangerous position.

That’s not how you play defence. A dman should never, ever, go behind the net when your partner is not there. It’s an awful read by Smith and there’s really no way around it.

Reactions: bigd

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
It's better than Khudobin. I have no idea who the backup is, what I know is that it makes no sense for Montreal to move Jake Allen this season or for the Devils to acquire him.

Cutting payroll and adding picks/prospects are two easy answers for team that is fighting the Coyotes for the best odds to pick 1st overall. Price will eventually come back, so there’s absolutely no point for them to keep him around this year and they’re about to do a fire sale, so I don’t see the point in keeping him for next year as well.

An aging goalie who’s coming off a hip surgery isn’t a viable option for us next year. We saw that movie with Corey and I’ll pass for the rerun in 2023.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
That’s not how you play defence. A dman should never, ever, go behind the net when your partner is not there. It’s an awful read by Smith and there’s really no way around it.
It’s a bad route but it’s more on McLeod than him. McLeod played worse D than him. Smith took a bad route. McLeod played really soft D, and got beat clean to the front of his net.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
When he started moving behind the net 88 wasn’t cutting in front of the net yet and he clearly thought McLeod still had good enough body position on him. McLeod is the one who got beaten. Smith took a bad route and didn’t recover for McLeod. He shouldn’t have gone behind the net. And he knows that. McLeod can’t get beaten like that.
So what are you even defending here? I disagree as to why he's behind the net, he's clearly looking right at Pasta, but the why isn't all that important, the fact that he is behind the net with nobody as Pasta is putting multiple shots on net is enough of a critique.

Did Pasta get by McLeod? Sure, which makes Smith going behind the net even worse.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So what are you even defending here? I disagree as to why he's behind the net, he's clearly looking right at Pasta, but the why isn't all that important, the fact that he is behind the net with nobody as Pasta is putting multiple shots on net is enough of a critique.

Did Pasta get by McLeod? Sure, which makes Smith going behind the net even worse.
What?!!! Was Smith supposed to know McLeod was gonna get beat?!
Also he wasn’t with nobody and was following Hall and cut off the pass to him.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Exactly! Your #1 job as a dman is to cover the front of the net, not look for a possible pass, behind our net.

Again, that’s defence #101 and Smith failed miserably on that play and has been doing so constantly this year, for whatever reason.

You get called out for doing that 10/10 and Daneyko, who knows a thing or two about where to be on the ice, said the same thing.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Exactly! Your #1 job as a dman is to cover the front of the net, not look for a possible pass behind our net.

Again, that’s defence #101 and Smith failed miserably on that play and has been doing so constantly this year, for whatever reason.
His job was not to defend the front of the net there. This isn’t 5 year old hockey. It was to cover Hall. He took a bad route to do that but he isn’t responsible for 88 beating McLeod.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Cutting payroll and adding picks/prospects are two easy answers for team that is fighting the Coyotes for the best odds to pick 1st overall. Price will eventually come back, so there’s absolutely no point for them to keep him around this year and they’re about to do a fire sale, so I don’t see the point in keeping him for next year as well.

An aging goalie who’s coming off a hip surgery isn’t a viable option for us next year. We saw that movie with Corey and I’ll pass for the rerun in 2023.

Okay so let me get this straight. An aging goalie who's coming off hip surgery isn't a viable option for the Devils. But it is somehow fine for Montreal to roll with Carey Price coming off knee surgery and being 36 years old with Cayden Primeau as his backup, I guess? Or Montreal for some reason trades Allen, who is signed at a reasonable cost for next year, and gets another veteran to back up Price?

They might move Allen in the offseason, it makes zero sense to do it this season. You need bodies, Allen already leads the league in losses, and you're not likely to out-tank Arizona.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What?!!! Was Smith supposed to know McLeod was gonna get beat?!
Also he wasn’t with nobody and was following Hall and cut off the pass to him.
He's looking right at the play.

You had a small point in the Hughes debate. You have nothing here. Horrible D by Smith.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He's looking right at the play.

You had a small point in the Hughes debate. You have nothing here. Horrible D by Smith.
No shit he’s looking at the play. What does that mean? 88 beat McLeod at the last second. Bad route by Ty, horrible D by McLeod.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
His job was not to defend the front of the net there. This isn’t 5 year old hockey. It was to cover Hall. He took a bad route to do that but he isn’t responsible for 88 beating McLeod.

I’m sorry but you have no clue what you’re talking about lol

They actually teach that in pee-wee, bantam, midget and any other level of organized hockey… "don’t chase a dead play behind the net".

So basically, what you’re saying is that every time a center or winger gets beat, there’s absolutely no help from the dman because he’s chasing his guy in the corner or behind the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad