GDT: Your New Jersey Devils @ Anaheim Ducks, 10 PM EST, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Pencils, rulers, cigarettes, random business cards, receipts...and earplugs, ventilation masks hanging from the rearview mirror.

I worked on those trucks quite a bit. Whenever they were shorthanded and needed a laborer they called me. As well as working for my father who was a plumber.
Saw exactly the same stuff. It was simply the "style of the day".

Reactions: JimEIV

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The takes are wild in here today.

I've been down on the team for a big part of the year, I just don't think it's their year.

Sucks when reading posts here isn't fun.

Season is gone - has been to anyone paying attention. If old Lou was here he woulda canned Lindy 8 weeks ago for the same reasons he booted Julien. No confidence.

He also woulda upgraded the D immediately when Hamilton went down knowing the remaining core is too green and not enough to carry the season and have a shot at the playoffs.

He probably woulda sacrificed Mercer and Casey right away to get goaltending once Vitek showed he wasn't the one.

I just hope Fitz can make a decent outcome after the shake ups this summer or we're doomed to repeat this next season and that's unacceptable.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hes been available all season for the sharks. Yeah he'll miss this week. And we helped it along, by making him turn himself inside out, getting concussed repeatedly by even his own defensemen.

Blackwood starting his career in Boston is probably as effective as Swayman or Ullmark. I see no reason why he couldn't have thrived in the Vegas scenario along with Hill, Brossoit, Thompson, etc.

In retrospect, I wish one of our 1b goalie vets like Crawford worked out, bc they might've just taken enough bullets so that one of these young goalies got their footing.

Our defense was solid enough last year to let both Vitek and Schmid roll for times.

This year has been bad hockey bailed out by occasional fits of amazing individual efforts.
Pretty absurd. He kept getting hurt and turning into a shitbag. Had absolutely nothing to do with the team, he’s just made of tissue paper.

Also, again, Blackwood was on the same goddamn team last year and was poo.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is the gate open?
The flood gate on goals....

Oh and btw. Go look at that second goal again. I just got done watching thr highlights on NHL Network. Meier has the post and literally watches Henrique tuck the puck and does absolutely nothing. Henrique steps to the front of the net and Timo looks a spectator.

Goalie has to think he has support on that side of the net...there is a forward on the side of the net and Dman behind the the net on the same side and Henrique still walks out in front and tucks it in.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The flood gate on goals....

Oh and btw. Go look at that second goal again. I just got done watching thr highlights on NHL Network. Meier has the post and literally watches Henrique tuck the puck and does absolutely nothing. Henrique steps to the front of the net and Timo looks a spectator.

Goalie has to think he has support on that side of the net...there is a forward on the side of the net and Dman behind the the net on the same side and Henrique still walks out in front and tucks it in.
Yes, Timo can do better there. But that is the 5th or 6th wraparound this season alone where Daws was beyond late moving to. Its a problem in his game and it’s not a new issue

It literally happened in the first min of the sharks game the other day as well

And bad wrap around goals were scored on him in his first few starts this season. These cant be going in constantly

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I’m all for calling up Kinkaid/Kallgren or both.

They’ll really finish off the Ruff era with a tremendous bang.
Be careful what you wish for. Kallgren has been very good since returning from his injury. He's played 3 games, won them all, and pitched a 28 save shutout tonight inn the 3rd one. Also had a fight when run the 2nd time by Garrett Wilson after the whistle. Amazing Erik got to him on the end boards before any of his teammates did. It's really sad when a goalie has to defend himself!

I'd go Kinkaid if you want more of a guarantee that the Devils continue to go down the drain.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes, Timo can do better there. But that is the 5th or 6th wraparound this season alone where Daws was beyond late moving to. Its a problem in his game and it’s not a new issue

And bad wrap around goals were scored on him in his first few starts this season. These cant be going in constantly
It was so much worse than "can do better". From the overhead angle it truly looked like a controller unplugged meme.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Yeah, but he was out of commission for six months due to the surgery. His conditioning is probably shot this season to a degree. I think the expectation should have always been that he was going to wear down
Absolutely.
The ranters will jump on anything they perceive to be "THE" problem and no logic means a thing. The goalie is the last line of defense and therefore the easiest target.

Daws is physically shot! You can't come back after the surgery he went through and all of a sudden as soon as you come back play game after game at the highest level, especially before you have ever been THE keeper at the highest level and not expect an inevitable burnout.

Reactions: Forge

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It was so much worse than "can do better". From the overhead angle it truly looked like a controller unplugged meme.
This was bad. 12 seconds after the devils made it a game. Daws want this back.

This is far worse, 44 seconds after Devils tie the game Daws doesn’t seal the left post, he was too slow here, especially since his left pad wasn’t far away from the left post, he has to get over. Instead, he throws his leg back into the net instead over to the post.

These aren’t dangerous scoring chances. Daws will be the first to say he has to do better on these.

@Bleedred how often do you see these type of goals?

Reactions: Dialamo

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

"And bad wrap around goals were scored on him in his first few starts this season. These cant be going in constantly"

And the Devils have a goalie coach, a defensive coach, and a head coach and not one of them has fixed this tendency since his 1st game? Have seen Schmid react slowly to the wraparound at times. I don't think anyone is actually "WORKING" with the Devils keepers at all. Haven't you seen similar errors in all of them? Why is that the case. Someone has been teaching techniques that are susceptible to these errors. Markstrom will not change what he does successfully to satisfy the idiocy of a bad coach. He's not a rookie who can be bullied into the wrong techniques. This Coach has to be gone years ago, but he's still here. What has he got on the Devils that allows him to be untouchable?

Last edited:

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
No fries are better with mayonnaise based dips - aioli (or just plain mayo)

Egg sandwiches - Taylor ham egg and cheese, salt pepper ketchup (and hot sauce)???

I actually disagree. Mayo is fatty and rich. French fries are self explanatory...it's too much. Ketchup cuts that oiliness of the fried food. This is why dipping fries in milkshakes work really well.

Mayo has its place. A good turkey sandwich for example because it adds that hint of richness and helps the lean turkey. You wouldn't want to add mustard to a turkey sandwich because mustard is best for offsetting something like a ham. It doesn't add much to a white meat.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Marty must've been blowing sunshine up White's butt....

Because Sheldon Souray was on this team
You 2 need to understand what Marty was talking about. You need to have spent a goodly amount of time in the net against a high quality of shooters to know where he was coming from. There is a major difference between hard shots and fast shots.

Shots may be much faster than hard shots. Hard shots may be slower than fast shots. The bigger difference is the damned hard shots hit you like a bomb! We called them heavy shots in my day. Through equipment (and in my day it was nowhere near as developed as today) they hurt like Hell and left monster deep purple bruises. Hitting just right they could actually crack or break bones especially fingers, hands, and wrists.

John Davidson talked about soaking in tubs of ice after games to try and limit swelling, deep tissue bruising, and pain. He said his teammates were unsettled looking at the extent of his bruised body and it was like that all season long and the bruise locations seemed to migrate around his body, but his shins were always black and blue.

I can empathize with him. My shoulders and the bottom of my thighs above the top of the pads were just as he described his shins. Fast shots were much more acceptable to deal with than the hard/heavy shots, simply because they hurt.

A guy like Bobby Hull was double trouble because he had the fastest shot in the game as well as a horrific heavy one. Eddie Giacoimin said a glove save off a Hull shot numbed his arm to the shoulder.

Give me a fast shot any time. I don't know how so many fast shots weren't heavy. I'm not a physicist. I do know in practice or warn-ups I just let a lot of heavy shots go in because it wasn't worth the extra damage to my body to keep stopping shots that didn't matter.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I actually disagree. Mayo is fatty and rich. French fries are self explanatory...it's too much. Ketchup cuts that oiliness of the fried food. This is why dipping fries in milkshakes work really well.

Mayo has its place. A good turkey sandwich for example because it adds that hint of richness and helps the lean turkey. You wouldn't want to add mustard to a turkey sandwich because mustard is best for offsetting something like a ham. It doesn't add much to a white meat.

Mayo and Milkshakes are kind of the same thing - creaminess with the salty

Malt vinegar and mayo are great on fries. Belgians make up dozens of flavors of aioli (mayo). French use mayo.

Ketchup is too much sugar. It has acid too, from both tomato and the vinegar.

Of course this is all predicated on having high quality fries

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Mayo and Milkshakes are kind of the same thing - creaminess with the salty

Malt vinegar and mayo are great on fries. Belgians make up dozens of flavors of aioli (mayo). French use mayo.

Ketchup is too much sugar. It has acid too, from both tomato and the vinegar.

Of course this is all predicated on having high quality fries

Malt vinegar works best on unsalted or lightly salted fries. But especially if you have fresh, high quality fries. The Quiet Man in Dover, NJ has the best steak fries. Some malt vinegar on those babies is delicious.

Also the best fish n chips you'll get this side of the pond. No hyperbole

Reactions: forceten

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Malt vinegar works best on unsalted or lightly salted fries. But especially if you have fresh, high quality fries. The Quiet Man in Dover, NJ has the best steak fries. Some malt vinegar on those babies is delicious.

Also the best fish n chips you'll get this side of the pond. No hyperbole
Yummmmm next time I’m up I have to try to sneak over

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I know five hole saves look easy but they are the hardest place to stop a puck. Esp from their best goal scorer, all alone, on the first shot.

We can't just keep ringing the 'bad goalie' bell forever. This team sucks and if you've not spotted the pattern of us having a guy look like a savior for two weeks and then eventually being beaten down by games like the Rags loss and follow on garbage... Then I don't know what to do for you. Saros would last three weeks above..900. Markstrom two, max.
It's impossible to explain goaltending to anyone who has never been there. They have all the answers because to them it such an easy job. Yet, this season the number of real good NHL keepers is small and those that have them are not looking to part with them.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Camille the Eel

a defining moment of him? really? 🙄
Yeah defining in the worst sense for me as in maybe Jack isn’t so special after all . . . due allowance given for me being incredibly bummed by that loss, how pathetic was that attempt. Tying it up was right there. If you are truly an elite player in this league do you dub it like that? He’s not a kid any more. Three years ago an attempt like that okay. But now when he’s supposed to be in a class with the top players?

But as I say, a fan may say all sorts of negative things after a bad loss like that one. I do feel disillusioned about this club right now.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Yeah defining in the worst sense for me as in maybe Jack isn’t so special after all . . . due allowance given for me being incredibly bummed by that loss, how pathetic was that attempt. Tying it up was right there. If you are truly an elite player in this league do you dub it like that? He’s not a kid any more. Three years ago an attempt like that okay. But now when he’s supposed to be in a class with the top players?

But as I say, a fan may say all sorts of negative things after a bad loss like that one. I do feel disillusioned about this club right now.
Despite still not being 100%, Hughes was the best player in the game last night.

Great players fail all the time because they end up in so many high pressure situations. Ok or bad players fail much less often because they don’t even get to the moments of opportunities.

Hughes had a really strong playoffs last year, that tells you a lot more about him than a shootout attempt.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Hey guys, saw your game as it was carried on national television in Canada.

Your team is incredibly fast and creative, but it feels like they have no fallback. Like if the quick up, and the extra move or drop pass doesn't work, they don't have much of a fallback. Not winning many battles.

I'm a big fan of Jack Hughes and he's always prominent but he (or the system around him) looked a bit strange last night. Like he looked like a ringer on a peewee team where no matter who had the puck he would skate over and receive a little dump pass that wasn't very helpful as it meant that Hughes and the player he just took it off of were both covered by the same D.
Now, Hughes is a superlative talent and I have no long-term concerns over him. But, while dangerous every time he touched the puck, he just looked a little bit strange to me off of the puck and like he was playing a little...selfish isn't the right word, but like puck chasing/obsessed.

Big fan of Bratt and think he's very underrated. So slippery and evasive.

Right now Meier looks like a poor fit because I think a lot of his success in San Jose came off of the cycle and from low to high plays with Karlsson, whereas the Devils play an incredible fast off the rush transition game.

Falling back this year was largely inevitable when you let Graves and Severson go for Nemec and Hughes. It's the right call not to be locked into long term deals with them, but D is a hard position to learn even for the wonderkinds. Our Quinn had a rough year in 2021 trying to learn the league where a lot of our moron fans were calling for him to be dealt.

Fitzgerald couldn't predict that Hamilton would go down with injury, but I'm still confused that he thought that going with two unproven guys in Daws and Schmid behind a mediocre platoon goalie in Vanicek (not a believer in Vitek at all) would pan water. Like, no kidding your rookie D need a general back there.

I think Markstrom will/would serve you guys well whether you acquire him before the deadline, or in the off season. He was an absolute leader for our young team a few years ago. We were right to let him go (Tanev and Toffoli are other stories, but we had Demko coming), but he's exactly what your young team needs.

That Ducks team sucks and was incredibly diminished missing Zegras, Carlsson, and Fowler from an already depleted roster, and losing McTavish in the game, so it's wild that your boys managed to lose. But with that said, as frustrating as I'm sure it was to watch as a fan living and dying with every play as you try to squeeze into the playoffs, you guys did have like 10-12 shots that were 5 alarm saves by Dostal.
Those things happen occasionally, but it's tough when you're behind the 8 ball and can't afford to lose the points.

Anyway, will be following the Devils progress the rest of the season and very curious to see what your deadline looks like.

Good luck boys and girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad