GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (7-4-2) @ New York Rangers (8-3-3), 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It didn't feel that bad though. To me anyhow. I wasn't sitting there feeling that we were getting outclassed. We were very ragged and turning over the puck badly. A few of their shots were like icings that hit our goalie instead of crossing the goal line but more than that I don't really recall Blackwood having had to make that many tough saves after the first ten minutes or so. Bernier did have to make a few at the end to get us to OT.

I am consistently impressed by our ability to come back in games. After they took the lead in the third, I loved our first couple shifts.

It's so subjective of course. The statistics as you indicate are badly one sided. Yet I felt we always had a chance to win it.

I thought NJ played well. in segments. They didnt capitalize on some really glorious chances throughout regular time.

3v1 missed, some 2v1s...and a breakaway in OT too..

Camille the Eel

Yup. Wish either Bernier made a big save on those last two... Or if Tatar didnt get skate from goalie we would have won it...
Yeah you can't really fault us on a 7 round shootout.

Some of the turnovers thought. The first Rags goal where Sevs throws the puck into the slot. If he'd been playing for the Rangers he couldn't have done any more for Fox. And Graves just slips or maybe it's bad ice on the Kakko goal. And those were far from the only ones. Sevs had some particularly brain dead moments as usual. Plays where he just stands there and looks at the puck and doesn't retreat to cut off an odd man rush, and doesn't advance to try to get it and pinch . . . but just looks at it. And then goes flying back on his face at the end of the play but the Rangers forward hits the cross bar. Ugh.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Camille the Eel

I though NJ played well. in segments. They didnt capitalize on some really glorious chances throughout regular time.

3v1 missed, some 2v1s...and a breakaway in OT too..
exactly - there were some plays we just didn't make. It was kind of a mud wrestling match of a game on bad ice between two tired clubs. I liked our battle level. Take the point. It's basically a tie. The gimmick hurts but let's not forget what it is - just an arbitrary gimmick to decide games.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
exactly - there were some plays we just didn't make. It was kind of a mud wrestling match of a game on bad ice between two tired clubs. I liked our battle level. Take the point. It's basically a tie. The gimmick hurts but let's not forget what it is - just an arbitrary gimmick to decide games.

I agree... And i thought the standings outcome would look worse after the L and OTL today.... But it isnt so bad so not as worked up. We just win a few more and keep pace again as we have been doing so far...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
100% guaranteed that if Blackwood doesn't make a save on 2 game winning opportunities in the shootout you're calling him Cory 2.0 and saying he's ass. Bernier is far from being bad, we just needed a save there. Don't think anyone is pinning the whole game on him at all.

Yeah he was more than fine in the actual game, but because of that the coming in cold rationale is over by the shootout since he was in the flow of the game by then.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
We didn’t play well at all.

this is troubling against a team that is not good offensively or defensively 5 on 5.

we’re gonna lose a lot of games if this continues and the bottom line players keep laying this badly.

128CC30F-E953-42E5-8313-B6358568A7D0.png
48DC373F-740B-4BDE-8160-57F2323A33BA.png
1240A185-E48D-439D-80C9-F64E2DF0CF08.png
6E0CEEDC-9629-407B-830A-4531D839E621.png

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Reactions: billingtons ghost

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
No “toughness” stops a dude from running into a goalie, Marchand (or any other Big Bad Bruin) didn’t stop Woody.

No but it gets them running around taking penalties and out of position, and loosens the game up.

I know somehow the decision to play Geersten is going to be the whole reason we lost for some people, but the reality of it is, Severson panic, a couple of bad penalties, and a Graves biff is the reason.

We made mistakes and they capitalized and then we simply didn't get alot of chances on net, and no sustained pressure.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Are you for real?
Oh c'mon now. Did you just start watching hockey?
Ridiculous. You two obviously didn’t understand my post. I wasn’t talking about entertainment value, I am talking the quality of the hockey we saw which isn’t up for debate. It was horrible.

1.) It was one of the most choppiest games we have seen in years. The amount of stoppages of play was absurd. Regulation ended at 9:45pm.

2.) It was one of the worst conditions of an NHL rink I can remember in a decade. Dozens of instances of players wiping out on their own. The puck literally STOPPED by itself when Tatar had a rush.

3) Both teams were lethargic and inconsistent.

It was obviously a horrendous hockey game in terms of quality. It’s delirious to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: JK3

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It was a good no challenge and perhaps saved us a point. I don't think it would have been overturned.
I wish there would be some way to get a ruling after the fact just so we could learn from it so we know for next time. Something like an official ruling for future reference. Like when a batter in baseball asks the umpire after a pitch that he swung at if it would have been called a strike otherwise / if he didn’t swing ?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ruff isn't wrong. The league is super inconsistent with this shit and there was no guarantee it would get overturned.

It shouldn't have counted but who the f*** knows with this leavhe.

this sort of stuff is true in NBA and NFL. Fouls vary based on star power and home/away. The NFL can’t decide what’s a catch or a football move or what is and isn’t pass interference consistently. I for one welcome our new robot referee overlords.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I love getting to the game and seeing that our top prospect gets pulled against a bad 5v5 team for a goon. Also 100% knew Laf and Kakko were scoring once our fanbase was dunking on them for the past week. Even though Kakko delivered the people’s elbow.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not reading the whole thread but Ruff had that absolute dog shit challenge that he said was his fault vs Buffalo when the goalie was clear as day pushed by Nico and yet somehow nobody challenges this one tonight when Blackwood's head gets rammed in? Makes perfect f***ing sense that they wouldn't challenge it. f***ing trash.

Hilarious that Sal in the post show said "going back to the track record, coach Ruff, he's made a lot of great calls on challenges" conveniently forgetting this dog shit call from not that long ago.

For reference...

Coach's Challenge: BUF @ NJD - 4:07 of the First Period

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Some goalies are good at them, some arent....
Brodeur wasn't even that good at them,

Marty was 42-30 and is tied for 7th most wins all time. He had 10 shootout wins in 1 season which is a record tied with a few other guys. He wasn't the reason we lost most of those, there was some pretty dire shooters for a bunch of those seasons.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad