GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (48-21-8, 104 Points, 2nd in Metro) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (38-29-10, 86 Points, 5th in Metro, 2nd Wildcard), 7 PM, MSGSN

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

cut.JPG

PREVIEW

DEVILS (48-21-8) vs. PENGUINS (38-29-10)

TV:
7:00 p.m. ET; Televised on MSGSN

RADIO: 7:00 p.m. ET; Live on Devils Hockey Network

Head-to-Head:

This is the fourth and final meeting between the Devils and Penguins this season. New Jersey has won all three previous meetings and are looking to sweep the season series.

The first matchup was on Dec. 30, 2022 in Pittsburgh when the visiting team picked up a 4-2 win to end 2022 with a victory. In the second meeting on Jan. 22 at Prudential Center, New Jersey picked up a 2-1 overtime win. In the most recent game on Feb. 18, the Devils offense exploded, beating the Penguins 5-2 on the road.

Jack Hughes, Dougie Hamilton, and Nico Hischier each have three goals against the Penguins this season, while Dawson Mercer and Jesper Bratt each have one.

Devils Team Scope:

The Devils are looking to put Sunday night's 6-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets in the rearview mirror as they start with a two-game homestand. New Jersey have dealt with some ups and downs in the final stretch of the regular season, going 4-4-2 in their last 10 games. Recently, the Devils picked up a big 2-1 win over their rivals, the New York Rangers, and followed it up with a 6-3 victory in Chicago against the Blackhawks. However, 16 games over 31 days was an intense schedule for the Devils in March.

Forward Jack Hughes conitnues to lead the Devils with 40 goals and 90 points, and he's second on the team with 50 assists. Defenseman Dougie Hamilton leads New Jersey with 51 assists. Several players are experiencing significant career-best years in all scoring categories: Hughes, Hamilton, Nico Hischier, and Dawson Mercer.

Vitek Vanecek and Mackenzie Blackwood make up the Devils goaltending tandem. Vanecek has played the majority of games and has a 30-11-4 record with a .908 save percentage and a 2.52 goals against average. He's the only other goaltender in Devils history to have a 30-win season outside of Hockey Hall of Fame netminder and current Devils EVP, Martin Brodeur. Blackwood recently returned from a groin injury that had him on the IR. He's 10-5-2 with a 3.10 goals against average and a .895 save percentage.

Currently New Jersey is second in the Metro Division with 104 points. They are currently three points back from the Hurricanes with one more game played but ahead of the Rangers by three.

Penguins Team Scope:

The Penguins are in a pattern of winning one game then losing another right after, and have gone 4-6-0 over their last 10 contests. Two of their last three losses were by a goal including a one-goal loss to the top team in the NHL, the Boston Bruins. Over this ten game span the Penguins have won against the Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators, Washington Capitals, and Colorado Avalanche. Right now, Pittsburgh is just one point ahead of the Florida Panthers for the second wild card spot so every point matters in their final five games of the season.

Jake Guentzel leads the Penguins with 35 goals while Sidney Crosby's 57 assists and 88 points lead the team. Guentzel's four goals over the last five games are a team-high. Pittsburgh's veteran forward Evgeni Malkin has 80 points this season, 25 goals and 55 assists, showing he's a huge part of the Penguins offense. Malkin's six points, five of which are assists, over Pittsburgh's last five games leads the team. Tristan Jarry has a 22-11-6 record with a 2.93 goals against average and a .909 save percentage. Casey DeSmith has a 3.17 goals against average with a .905 save percentage and a 15-16-4 record.

Pittsburgh has middle of the pack special teams with the 15th best power play scoring on 21.4% of their opportunities, and the 17th best penalty kill with a 78.8 kill rate. The Penguins are one of the top faceoff teams which wins 52.2% of their draws, which is ninth best in the leauge.

By the Numbers:

Devils forward Jack Hughes is six points away from tying a franchise single-season scoring record that Patrik Elias set in the 2000-01 season. Hughes missed four games this season, while Elias did play in all 82 games the year he set the record. Hughes has nine multi-goal games this year and has 30 multi-point games this season (franchise record).

Penguins forward Jake Guentzel is just five goals back from tying his career-high, which he has achieved on two previous occasions: last season and the 2018-19 season. Right now, Guentzel is 15 points back from tying his career-high set last season at 84 points.

Injuries:

Devils

Nathan Bastian (Upper-body, day-to-day)

Curtis Lazar (Lower-body, day-to-day)

Jonathan Bernier (Hip, LTIR)

Penguins

Jan Rutta (Lower-body, day-to-day)

Marcus Pettersson (Lower-body, IR)

Nick Bonino (Abdomen, IR)

Dmitry Kulikov (Lower-body, IR)

Last Game vs. Pittsburgh:

Your New Jersey Devils Projected Lineup:

#90 Tomas Tatar - #13 Nico Hischier (C) - #91 Dawson Mercer
#18 Ondrej Palat (A) - #86 Jack Hughes (A) - #63 Jesper Bratt
#96 Timo Meier - #56 Erik Haula - #70 Jesper Boqvist
#44 Miles Wood - #20 Michael McLeod - #14 Nathan Bastian

#88 Kevin Bahl - #7 Dougie Hamilton
#33 Ryan Graves - #6 John Marino
#71 Jonas Siegenthaler - #28 Damon Severson

#41 Vitek Vanecek
#29 Mackenzie Blackwood

Team Leaders:

G: Hughes - 40
A: Hamilton - 51
P: Hughes - 90
+/-: Tatar - +37
PIM: Wood - 72
PPG: Hughes/Hamilton/Bratt - 8
SHG: Hischier - 3
GWG: Hischier - 9
W: Vanecek - 30
GAA: Vanecek - 2.52
SV%: Vanecek - .908%

RoyKent.gif

Pittsburgh Penguins Projected Lineup

#59 Jake Guentzel - #87 Sidney Crosby (C) - #17 Bryan Rust
#16 Jason Zucker - #71 Evgeni Malkin (A) - #67 Rickard Rakell
#43 Danton Heinen - #25 Ryan Poehling - #64 Mikael Granlund
#10 Drew O'Connor - #77 Jeff Carter - #15 Josh Archibald

#8 Brian Dumoulin - #58 Kris Letang (A)
#73 Pierre-Olivier Joseph - #26 Jeff Petry
#52 Mark Friedman - #2 Chad Ruhwedel

#35 Tristan Jarry
#1 Casey DeSmith

Team Leaders:

G: Guentzel - 35
A: Crosby - 57
P: Crosby - 88
+/-: Crosby - +8
PIM: Malkin - 82
PPG: Malkin/Guentzel/Rakell - 10
SHG: Poehling - 2
GWG: Crosby - 8
W: Jarry - 22
GAA: Jarry - 2.93
SV%: Jarry - .909%

giphy.gif

LFGD

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm psyched for this game tonight.

Devils just finished up a tough stretch - 16 games in 31 days in March...followed by back-to-back road games the first two days in April. Hate that the NHL makes the schedule so backloaded to not go up against the NFL, but it is what it is.

Back-to-backs are done. Only 5 games left in the season...first in the Metro is probably out of reach, but we're 3 points up on our biggest rival for home ice advantage and it's time to start gearing up for the playoffs and playing some good hockey heading into the postseason. Great opponent to go up against tonight - a desperate, yet savvy veteran team with tons of playoff experience in the Penguins that the Devils are 3-0 against this season.

Start righting the ship now and get 4 points during this mini home stand against beatable teams in Pittsburgh and Columbus. Let's get home ice in round 1 secured with a game or two left so we can rest some guys and get Luke some NHL experience.

javk-hughes-lets-go-baby.gif

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I know he probably can't hit 100 points now, but I'd like to see him try and get damn close.
He can do it especially against the teams we're facing down the stretch here minus Boston. He's right there if he can rack up a bunch of 2 point games. Sucks that he missed some games, he probably would have gotten there.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sharon has been rather useless
She's a nice girl, but she's tied herself down to a no-count, junkie BUM like Nick. And now she has no place to go other than stay miserable with him in a place they live for rent free because his family owns it and they know he's a drug addict and a bum. Or she to go back to her mom's.

And her ex/kids father is now tied down to someone that makes Chrissy Snow seem as smart as Gloria Bunker and makes Mrs. Roper look like Suzanne Somers.

This is just me rambling on about real life people I know, since I have no blog or other social media outside of this. And even if I did, a couple of the people I'm talking about would probably be friends with me on those sites, therefore, I wouldn't be able to talk about them anyway.

Luckily, none of these people know I frequent this website or know too much about what I do in my spare time.

Unfortunately, I have made the mistake of telling some people of my involvement on here, including toxic, cut off family.

Oops

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

cut.JPG

PREVIEW

DEVILS (48-21-8) vs. PENGUINS (38-29-10)

TV:
7:00 p.m. ET; Televised on MSGSN

RADIO: 7:00 p.m. ET; Live on Devils Hockey Network

Head-to-Head:

This is the fourth and final meeting between the Devils and Penguins this season. New Jersey has won all three previous meetings and are looking to sweep the season series.

The first matchup was on Dec. 30, 2022 in Pittsburgh when the visiting team picked up a 4-2 win to end 2022 with a victory. In the second meeting on Jan. 22 at Prudential Center, New Jersey picked up a 2-1 overtime win. In the most recent game on Feb. 18, the Devils offense exploded, beating the Penguins 5-2 on the road.

Jack Hughes, Dougie Hamilton, and Nico Hischier each have three goals against the Penguins this season, while Dawson Mercer and Jesper Bratt each have one.

Devils Team Scope:

The Devils are looking to put Sunday night's 6-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets in the rearview mirror as they start with a two-game homestand. New Jersey have dealt with some ups and downs in the final stretch of the regular season, going 4-4-2 in their last 10 games. Recently, the Devils picked up a big 2-1 win over their rivals, the New York Rangers, and followed it up with a 6-3 victory in Chicago against the Blackhawks. However, 16 games over 31 days was an intense schedule for the Devils in March.

Forward Jack Hughes conitnues to lead the Devils with 40 goals and 90 points, and he's second on the team with 50 assists. Defenseman Dougie Hamilton leads New Jersey with 51 assists. Several players are experiencing significant career-best years in all scoring categories: Hughes, Hamilton, Nico Hischier, and Dawson Mercer.

Vitek Vanecek and Mackenzie Blackwood make up the Devils goaltending tandem. Vanecek has played the majority of games and has a 30-11-4 record with a .908 save percentage and a 2.52 goals against average. He's the only other goaltender in Devils history to have a 30-win season outside of Hockey Hall of Fame netminder and current Devils EVP, Martin Brodeur. Blackwood recently returned from a groin injury that had him on the IR. He's 10-5-2 with a 3.10 goals against average and a .895 save percentage.

Currently New Jersey is second in the Metro Division with 104 points. They are currently three points back from the Hurricanes with one more game played but ahead of the Rangers by three.

Penguins Team Scope:

The Penguins are in a pattern of winning one game then losing another right after, and have gone 4-6-0 over their last 10 contests. Two of their last three losses were by a goal including a one-goal loss to the top team in the NHL, the Boston Bruins. Over this ten game span the Penguins have won against the Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators, Washington Capitals, and Colorado Avalanche. Right now, Pittsburgh is just one point ahead of the Florida Panthers for the second wild card spot so every point matters in their final five games of the season.

Jake Guentzel leads the Penguins with 35 goals while Sidney Crosby's 57 assists and 88 points lead the team. Guentzel's four goals over the last five games are a team-high. Pittsburgh's veteran forward Evgeni Malkin has 80 points this season, 25 goals and 55 assists, showing he's a huge part of the Penguins offense. Malkin's six points, five of which are assists, over Pittsburgh's last five games leads the team. Tristan Jarry has a 22-11-6 record with a 2.93 goals against average and a .909 save percentage. Casey DeSmith has a 3.17 goals against average with a .905 save percentage and a 15-16-4 record.

Pittsburgh has middle of the pack special teams with the 15th best power play scoring on 21.4% of their opportunities, and the 17th best penalty kill with a 78.8 kill rate. The Penguins are one of the top faceoff teams which wins 52.2% of their draws, which is ninth best in the leauge.

By the Numbers:

Devils forward Jack Hughes is six points away from tying a franchise single-season scoring record that Patrik Elias set in the 2000-01 season. Hughes missed four games this season, while Elias did play in all 82 games the year he set the record. Hughes has nine multi-goal games this year and has 30 multi-point games this season (franchise record).

Penguins forward Jake Guentzel is just five goals back from tying his career-high, which he has achieved on two previous occasions: last season and the 2018-19 season. Right now, Guentzel is 15 points back from tying his career-high set last season at 84 points.

Injuries:

Devils

Nathan Bastian (Upper-body, day-to-day)

Curtis Lazar (Lower-body, day-to-day)

Jonathan Bernier (Hip, LTIR)

Penguins

Jan Rutta (Lower-body, day-to-day)

Marcus Pettersson (Lower-body, IR)

Nick Bonino (Abdomen, IR)

Dmitry Kulikov (Lower-body, IR)

Last Game vs. Pittsburgh:

Your New Jersey Devils Projected Lineup:

#90 Tomas Tatar - #13 Nico Hischier (C) - #91 Dawson Mercer
#18 Ondrej Palat (A) - #86 Jack Hughes (A) - #63 Jesper Bratt
#96 Timo Meier - #56 Erik Haula - #70 Jesper Boqvist
#44 Miles Wood - #20 Michael McLeod - #14 Nathan Bastian

#88 Kevin Bahl - #7 Dougie Hamilton
#33 Ryan Graves - #6 John Marino
#71 Jonas Siegenthaler - #28 Damon Severson

#41 Vitek Vanecek
#29 Mackenzie Blackwood

Team Leaders:

G: Hughes - 40
A: Hamilton - 51
P: Hughes - 90
+/-: Tatar - +37
PIM: Wood - 72
PPG: Hughes/Hamilton/Bratt - 8
SHG: Hischier - 3
GWG: Hischier - 9
W: Vanecek - 30
GAA: Vanecek - 2.52
SV%: Vanecek - .908%

RoyKent.gif

Pittsburgh Penguins Projected Lineup

#59 Jake Guentzel - #87 Sidney Crosby (C) - #17 Bryan Rust
#16 Jason Zucker - #71 Evgeni Malkin (A) - #67 Rickard Rakell
#43 Danton Heinen - #25 Ryan Poehling - #64 Mikael Granlund
#10 Drew O'Connor - #77 Jeff Carter - #15 Josh Archibald

#8 Brian Dumoulin - #58 Kris Letang (A)
#73 Pierre-Olivier Joseph - #26 Jeff Petry
#52 Mark Friedman - #2 Chad Ruhwedel

#35 Tristan Jarry
#1 Casey DeSmith

Team Leaders:

G: Guentzel - 35
A: Crosby - 57
P: Crosby - 88
+/-: Crosby - +8
PIM: Malkin - 82
PPG: Malkin/Guentzel/Rakell - 10
SHG: Poehling - 2
GWG: Crosby - 8
W: Jarry - 22
GAA: Jarry - 2.93
SV%: Jarry - .909%

giphy.gif

LFGD

Why that choice of song? Just curious.

Hey ho ! Let’s go !
That’s the Ramones not the Jam.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I actually consider these last home games all must wins because having the 2nd most road wins, while having 6 less wins at home, is just ass backwards.

Time to right some wrongs with the last 3 home games fellas. I mean, feel free to win the away games too, but prioritize.

This one is against Pittsburgh too, which brings to mind a classic (to me only, I assume) NHL.com article from November 2018:

4CF7F9CC-833F-4BAA-AB13-0948E4CF0244.jpeg

It was mostly what you expect until you get to this amazing part:

E44B5C76-BC9B-4094-B141-CF5FF3A2CC4B.jpeg

Again, note the date:
E45DE0B7-80E8-4433-91E3-A5FB803ADBBC.jpeg

I still remember being shocked reading that, even knowing their record in NJ, considering both teams had wee bit different recent histories:

F44FC9C2-07CE-486D-B18E-6B47434B566A.jpeg

42A565F4-D556-4BD1-9C68-8963829A5C2A.jpeg

vs
CB25A63A-7B8D-4344-AE07-4DC8B85029A9.jpeg

Go figure.

I know I’ll forever treasure those flattering words about our beloved team from the future Hall of Famer I affectionately refer to as “Shovel-face”.

Here’s results of the NHL Players’ Poll (“NHL.com asked 61 of the League's top players for their opinions at the NHL European and North American Player Media Tours”)

1BE8CC5C-0418-4DE6-A7F2-E3135AB2F446.jpeg

As you can see one player other than Malkin voted for the Rock, so it’s officially a “tough building”, as 17 made the list and only 12 got more than 1 vote.

Also, Congrats to the World’s Most Famous Basketball Arena for getting as half as many votes as we did AND tying famed Hockey Mecca Barclays Center in vote as well.

If you caught an Isles game at Barclays, perhaps you found a spare $20 in a coat pocket and decided to buy a NYI ticket with it instead of hitting Chipotle, you know the atmosphere was positively electric. No wonder those two NYC arenas received the same amount of votes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad