GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (23-36-5) @ Washington Capitals (36-20-10), 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camille the Eel

It really wasn’t bad at all. He was screened right as the shot was being taken (Sal mentioned this too, called it a flash screen) and it was a very good shot from a dangerous spot.
Wish he’d come more boldly out of the net to challenge Backstrom as the play developed. 4 of our 5 guys were above the puck and Backstrom was tee’ing up a wrist shot. When he’s got more experience Dawes will learn to jump out on that shooter.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Absolutely, agree with that. Okhotyuk next you think?
I think it depends on what happens with Daws. If Hammond is activated and Daws is not sent down, his emergency recall becomes a regular recall.

That would leave one non-emergency recall remaining.

Even if they do send Daws down immediately after Hammond returns they may want to leave a non-emergency recall spot open for Daws (or Schmid) in case Hammond shits the bed.

If only one other non-G is recalled from Utica I don't think it will be O'Hautechic.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You are way too concerned about back to backs. Its a 20 year old kid . Think he is burnt out already ? Its not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.
Im sure if you asked him and he answered truthfully , he would have zero hesitation in wanting to play back to backs. Its not like he has played 55 games up until now and is gettign rode constantly . Give me a break on this shit that he is getting destroyed by playing too much .

And what is the alternative? Put in a goalie that is an automatic loss where there is a very good chance 6 or 7 goals are given up? Hell no . Im sure the rest of the team thinks the same thing but just cant come out and say it.
He doesn't appear to be NHL ready and we're playing him constantly. That can't ruin a player? Really?

Remember when we brought up players like Josefson, Tedenby, even Boqvist earlier than they should have played in the NHL? Or is it different because it's a goalie? That makes it even worse. How many goalies that are 21 do you see in the NHL? Spencer Knight? Maybe a couple other guys that had to be called up and got in a couple games? Marty Brodeur wasn't even in the NHL full time at 21 years and 3 months old (but he was at 21 years and 5 months old) so think about that for a second.

Obviously we can't prove Josefson and Tedenby were ruined by being called up too early, but it was definitely something to think about.

Yes, put in Gillies if you have to for one game on the second half of a back to back. We know he's an auto loss (but he is due for a good game lol and his only start allowing fewer than 2 goals was against the Habs lol) but take the punch

It's not outlandish to think a 21 year old goalie that wasn't supposed to play in the NHL this year at all, shouldn't be getting back to back's (I think this would be the fourth straight back to back he's played) and that this could be detrimental to his development.

Especially when he's by all means not lighting the world on fire out there. He's been very mediocre.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'd fire Ruff before tomorrow's game if he starts Daws.

f*** him,

This is past Pete riding Hedberg every game when Marty was injured.

Let Nas coach the rest of the year and worry about it in the offseason.

If Gillies gets blown up tomorrow I doubt it's gonna be a contributing factor in Ruff getting fired after this year, if he is indeed fired. It's likely already been determined whether or not he stays or goes next year.
You know I LOVE your goalie insights and we agree often, but your take about Daws getting "ruined" is honestly very weird to me. Daws isn't getting ruined because he plays a few back to backs, and especially not because he's up here for a few months. Especially when considering he's AHL bound next season from the mouth of our GM.

Now, if he's up here and the #1 option next year, I'll START to get concerned. But as of right now? I don't see any problem with it, honestly. He isn't looking out of place. He's a young goalie learning the ropes, and he's not doing a bad job. He's not giving me signs of being broken down.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know what's up with Dougie, but he does not look good; slow of foot and slow of mind. The Devils in the offensive zone look dynamic, if not a little overpassy (but that's just a small complaint). They seem to skate well, have good vision and generate high danger chances. There's definitely positives this season. They seem closer to a real team than prior years.

Camille the Eel

Hughes was electric tonight. That lacrosse play he made catching that alleyoop puck entering the zone was a new one and shouldn’t have been called offsides. He has absolute control of that puck.

Fun game. Entertaining game. But a game we let get away. The go ahead goal to Backstrom is the one we want back. No way in a tie game in the third period should you get caught with 4 guys above the puck. To make progress as a team we’ve got to learn to stop losing games like this.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think it depends on what happens with Daws. If Hammond is activated and Daws is not sent down, his emergency recall becomes a regular recall.

That would leave one non-emergency recall remaining.

Even if they do send Daws down immediately after Hammond returns they may want to leave a non-emergency recall spot open for Daws (or Schmid) in case Hammond shits the bed.

If only one other non-G is recalled from Utica I don't think it will be O'Hautechic.
Creative! :laugh:

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Trying to stay posative:

Nico is less than 10 points away from being a “Point Per Game” player. It’s hard to believe he missed 10 games this season. Nico has be on fire lately. Points are obvious but his play on the ice has been equally impressive. He willed that 3rd goal into the net.
The last thing I'm worried about on this team is our #1-2 centers, to your point. Both are playing fantastic hockey. If you look at us compared to the other teams around us, all we're missing is goaltending.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The last thing I'm worried about on this team is our #1-2 centers, to your point. Both are playing fantastic hockey. If you look at us compared to the other teams around us, all we're missing is goaltending.
Honestly, the last thing I'm worried about is the whole top-6. Especially with Holtz coming up. I've also really liked Mercer's game lately.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You know I LOVE your goalies insights and we agree often, but your take about Daws getting "ruined" is honestly very weird to me. Daws isn't getting ruined because he plays a few back to backs, and especially not because he's up here for a few months. Especially when considering he's AHL bound next season from the mouth of our GM.

Now, if he's up here and the #1 option next year, I'll START to get concerned. But as of right now? I don't see any problem with it, honestly. He isn't looking out of place. He's a young goalie learning the ropes, and he's not doing a bad job. he's not giving me signs of being broken down.
Well here's where I disagree with you, he is looking out of place at this point. He's been very mediocre overall this year.

He's been better than the other guys, but can you expect that to last if he's up for the rest of the season and playing most or even half the games? He's been trending downward for a bit and he hasn't really looked all that well in the second half of back to backs. I did think he looked fine in the last one though, but not the first two.

Once again, it's not outlandish to think that playing a goalie this many games in the NHL at his age and where he is as a pro goalie right now is possibly detrimental for his long term development.

Even Fleury got rushed to the NHL too early, if you remember that. He got put in the NHL too early and Fleury really didn't start consistently having his best years until he was in his 30's really. He had some good seasons in his 20's, but he was a better goalie in his 30's than he was when he was in his 20's.

And while we're on the topic of Fleury, Daws is only about 300 minutes from surpassing Fleury's rookie season, although Fleury was over 2 years younger.

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Yes it has been said that Knight was a non starter , Friedmans podcast buddy . Dater or whatever said it along with others.
I find that hard to believe but hey, Friedman would know way more than me

Saying Knight is a non-starter when you can easily sign a sufficient backup and have a much improved defense is.. well, odd

Unless they have a plan up their sleeves to unload Bobrovsky in the next two years. And that I doubt.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 10.25.03 PM.png

That's not a chart showing a team getting dominated. We played a good game. Whether you believe in analytics or not, this represents the game more than it doesn't.

Reactions: Blender

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Well here's where I disagree with you, he is looking out of place at this point. He's been very mediocre overall this year.

He's been better than the other guys, but can you expect that to last if he's up for the rest of the season and playing most or even half the games? He's been trending downward for a bit and he hasn't really looked all that well in the second half of back to backs. I did think he looked fine in the last one though, but not the first two.

Once again, it's not outlandish to think that playing a goalie this many games in the NHL at his age and where he is as a pro goalie right now is possibly detrimental for his long term development.

Even Fleury got rushed to the NHL too early, if you remember that. He got put in the NHL too early and Fleury really didn't start consistently having his best years until he was in his 30's really. He had some good seasons in his 20's, but he was a better goalie in his 30's than he was when he was in his 20's.

And while we're on the topic of Fleury, Daws is only about 300 minutes from surpassing Fleury's rookie season, although Fleury was over 2 years younger.
Appreciate the response. I guess I don't think this weighs on him as much as you, which is fair. I'll really wait until next season to see how they deal with him.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
For those interested, here's what I was talking about in regards to Hughes/Hamilton:

6:39. You clearly see Jack shaking his head, slamming his stick and yelling out "FVCK". Visibly pissed. I love the passion. They scored after on Bratt's goal, but damn, that was fiery from Jack. Kid has the desire to win already and I appreciate that.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
For those interested, here's what I was talking about in regards to Hughes/Hamilton:

6:39. You clearly see Jack shaking his head, slamming his stick and yell out "FVCK". Visibly pissed. I love the passion. They scored after on Bratt's goal, but damn, that was fiery from Jack. kid has the desire to win already and I appreciate that.

Wow he is WIDE open.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I don't really understand those rules too much.

Why can't we bring him again if we want?
Teams get four non-emergency recalls after the trade deadline.

Emergency recalls are good for nine games before they become regular recalls.

Daws was on emergency recall. Daws played ten games. Hammond was acquired. Daws was papered down and recalled on an emergency loan on 3/21 according to CF transaction twitter resetting the game count ticker. He's up to three games of nine since 3/21.

I'm guessing since no G returned from IR, it reset Daws game count for the tenth or it did become a regular recall, but since it was before the deadline it doesn't count towards the four post-deadline.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad