GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (17-13-2, 36 Pts) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (11-18-6, 28 Pts), 7 PM, MSGSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

If Lazar is indeed out, I'm fine with this.

Lindy finally got the memo.

Smith Forward.jpg

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I thought the coaching staff viewed Holtz as too much of a defensive liability to play on Hischier's line. I'm intrigued to see how that goes.

Definitely a turning point for Holtz. Ruff is giving him the cameo with an opportunity to play against the big matchups tonight all game.

I think with his speed improvements/upgrade this year, he just needs to find the net and not make a critical mistake on defense. Pretty sure with Nico and Palat, the defensive backstop is there so maybe Holtz will have the green light to go for it.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Btw this team has to improve it's PP lines. Whatever magic we had
I wonder if the team considers swapping Daws with Schmid as the backup to preserve some waiver eligibility for Schmid and get him a consistent run of games in the AHL

Didn't schmid already pass his waiver exemption... Or is he close to it ending?

I wouldn't mind. Maybe worth a try to get him a rhythm of confidence.

Reactions: devilsfan950003

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Btw this team has to improve it's PP lines. Whatever magic we had

Didn't schmid already pass his waiver exemption... Or is he close to it ending?

I wouldn't mind. Maybe worth a try to get him a rhythm of confidence.
According to CapFriendly, he has 12 game left until he loses his exemption

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Vitek stinks up the joint and we lose, put him on waivers tomorrow and roll with Schmid/Daws the next week or two.

''But you can't do that! We can't waive Vitek! We'll lose him on waivers!''

Yeah, no we won't. If no one took Raanta, who is cheaper (less than half of Vitek's cap hit) and has no term remaining after this, no one is taking Vitek and his one remaining year @ over twice as much of a cap hit as Raanta.

And Raanta is also (probably) more valuable around the league, due to his reputation. He's constantly overrated for having such impressive numbers during his career, but the asterisk that he's been a career 1b/backup is usually left out when people hype him up.

Of course, this is only fans that tout that stuff. Not sure NHL GM's value him as much as Vanecek, but my point still stands.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
well that’s interesting. just assumed he would be given some time to get back into form after hip surgery but maybe something’s wrong with vitek or schmid?
Yeah they have “nonpuckstopilitis” and might need their tonsils out.

I got nothing to say. I despise that franchise and everything about it.

Spank them and bury them.

LGD.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I thought the coaching staff viewed Holtz as too much of a defensive liability to play on Hischier's line. I'm intrigued to see how that goes.
Perfect storm of things for it to happen I think

-Want to keep Hughes-Toffoli together + Toffoli Holtz bring the same element, so a line with both doesn't make much sense
-3M line was great last game so they're staying together
-No one to move up to Nico's wing. Haula has to be 4C bc they finally realized Tierney is not an NHL level player and slotting him at 4C would create a complete liability line that gets caved in

Holtz is the only realistic option for the spot right now unless you want to basically roll 3 lines with a very limited 4th

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I'm also pleased that Ruff is no longer forcing Mercer at C. It made some sense out of necessity when Hughes, Hischier, and Haula had their respective injuries earlier in the season. Now with all of our natural centers healthy, Mercer goes back to the wing where he can be more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Event closes
    • Updated: