Your Nations Top 23 & Under w/ 1 Caveat

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I always love to see the strength of an organization or country looking at players 23 and under.

For this thread, let's take a look at how Nations stand up to one another when it comes to that 23 and under.

Now, all your forwards/dmen MUST be 23 and under as of today's date. BUT...BUT your Nations goalies can be 24 and under as of today. Most goalies don't get thrown into the fire like forwards/dmen do, so I am making the goalie position 24 and under out of fairness since so few see NHL action before 23 years old.

So once again-:
Forwards/Dmen- 23 years and younger as of today
Goalies -24 years and younger as of today

Team USA

We lost a whole lot of firepower that turned 24 this year (Eichel, Boeser, Connor, Roslovic, White, Greenway, Tuch, Larkin, Garland, etc, etc)

1. Alex Debrincat - Auston Matthews - Clayton Keller
  2. Matthew Tkachuk - Jack Hughes - Brady Tkachuk
  3. Joel Farabee - Josh Norris - Oliver Wahlstrom
  4. Jason Robertson - Trevor Zegras - Kailer Yamamoto
Extras- Trent Frederic, Troy Terry & Sasha Chmelevski

1. Zach Werenski - John Marino
  2. Quinn Hughes - Charlie McAvoy
  3. Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Extra- K'Andre Miller

1. Jake Oettinger
  2. Alex Nedeljkovic
  3. Spencer Knight

Strengths -
That top line and this teams overall defense are hard to match for many countries. I loved putting Brady Tkachuk on his off wing to play with his bro. Jack Hughes is now protected by those two horses, what a fun line that would be lol.. Offense is a strength here, though Zegras not an ideal 4th line center, but couldn't leave him off. Farabee, Norris and Wall-E have great familiarity with each other and would be a tremendous 3rd line for any country. Werenski and McAvoy are the horses here with Marino and Lindgren adding that grit and pk ability. This group would be fun to watch, no doubt.

Weakness - Goaltending is a struggle here like it will be for most nations, but Oettinger is my guy to start to stand out soon...Knight just way too far away to really make noise. Not much in the pipeline for the US in net with guys like Gillies, Parsons, Woll, etc not really hitting their grove and Demko being 25..

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
As of Right Now:
Canada
Kirby Dach - Matthew Barzal - Mitch Marner
Nick Suzuki - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Travis Konecny
Anthony Beauvillier - Anthony Cirelli - Drake Batherson
Alexis Lafreniere - Robert Thomas - Jordan Kyrou
Extras: Dylan Cozens, Cody Glass, Sam Steel, Dillon Dube, Tyson Jost, Nolan Patrick, Max Comtois, Ty Dellandrea, Liam Foudy, Quinton Byfield

Samuel Girard - Cale Makar
Ty Smith - Noah Dobson
Jake Bean - Dante Fabbro
Extras: Bowen Byram, Michael Anderson, POJ, Evan Bouchard, Victor Mete

Carter Hart
Mackenzie Blackwood (24)
Adin Hill (24)
Extras: Michael Dipietro, Ian Scott, Devon Levi, Nico Daws, Joel Hofer, Connor Ingram and Oliver Rodrigue

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I always love to see the strength of an organization or country looking at players 23 and under.

For this thread, let's take a look at how Nations stand up to one another when it comes to that 23 and under.

Now, all your forwards/dmen MUST be 23 and under as of today's date. BUT...BUT your Nations goalies can be 24 and under as of today. Most goalies don't get thrown into the fire like forwards/dmen do, so I am making the goalie position 24 and under out of fairness since so few see NHL action before 23 years old.

So once again-:

Team USA

We lost a whole lot of firepower that turned 24 this year (Eichel, Boeser, Connor, Roslovic, White, Greenway, Tuch, Larkin, Garland, etc, etc)

Extra- K'Andre Miller

1. Jake Oettinger
  2. Alex Nedeljkovic
  3. Spencer Knight

Strengths -
That top line and this teams overall defense are hard to match for many countries. I loved putting Brady Tkachuk on his off wing to play with his bro. Jack Hughes is now protected by those two horses, what a fun line that would be lol.. Offense is a strength here, though Zegras not an ideal 4th line center, but couldn't leave him off. Farabee, Norris and Wall-E have great familiarity with each other and would be a tremendous 3rd line for any country. Werenski and McAvoy are the horses here with Marino and Lindgren adding that grit and pk ability. This group would be fun to watch, no doubt.

Weakness - Goaltending is a struggle here like it will be for most nations, but Oettinger is my guy to start to stand out soon...Knight just way too far away to really make noise. Not much in the pipeline for the US in net with guys like Gillies, Parsons, Woll, etc not really hitting their grove and Demko being 25..
Having watched almost every Matthews game over his entire NHL career. To optimize him, you are going to have to give him one of the Tkachuk brothers. He can win battles down low, but to get his best, you need a guy with a strong forecheck/winning battles down low. It's why he excels with Hyman, and now Thornton provided he has a playmaker on the other side. Asking him to retrieve the puck down low often while also asking him to be the defensive conscious of the line. His line will thrive on the cycle with people able to find him, and he can win his battles and puck up the puck down low. But, he's at his best as the 2nd man in where he can make a quick play off of, or, if the first forward on the forecheck can win his battle, establish the cycle and either lay it off to a strong pass who can then find him, or if the guy who wins the battle gets it directly too him. Plus, at most of his big international events he's already played with Matt.

Reactions: DeysArena

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
For Finland it could be something like this:

Patrik Laine-Sebastian Aho-Jesse Puljujärvi
Eeli Tolvanen-Jesperi Kotkaniemi-Kaapo Kakko
Janne Kuokkanen-Anton Lundell-Kristian Vesalainen
Aleksi Heponiemi-Eetu Luostarinen-Arttu Ruotsalainen
Extra: Kupari, Ylönen, Maccelli, Innala

Miro Heiskanen-Juuso Välimäki
Henri Jokiharju-Urho Vaakanainen
Olli Juolevi-Ville Heinola
Extra: Laaksonen, Reunanen, Salo

Veini Vehvilainen, Luukkonen, Annunen

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014

Kaapo Kahkonen doesn't crack the goalie lineup?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As of Right Now:
Canada

Kirby Dach - Matthew Barzal - Mitch Marner
Nick Suzuki - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Travis Konecny
Anthony Beauvillier - Anthony Cirelli - Drake Batherson
Alexis Lafreniere - Robert Thomas - Jordan Kyrou
Extras: Dylan Cozens, Cody Glass, Sam Steel, Dillon Dube, Tyson Jost, Nolan Patrick, Max Comtois, Ty Dellandrea, Liam Foudy, Quinto Byfield

Samuel Girard - Cale Makar
Ty Smith - Noah Dobson
Jake Bean - Dante Fabbro
Extras: Bowen Byram, Michael Anderson, POJ, Evan Bouchard, Victor Mete

Carter Hart
Michael Dipietro
That is just stupid good. Your extra list is impressive. I'd put Bouch in top 6 but I'm an Oil fan ...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-3-3_13-35-1.png

Czechs would obviously be in a lot of trouble... Lukas Dostal would be our starter. Zboril is 24. AFter this we'd be adding a bunch of hopefuls... Lauko, Jenik, Blumel, Kral, Has, Teply, Mysak, Pytlik. I'd love to see the team but wouldn't be expecting many W's personally. It's a shame Pastrnak , Zboril, and Vrana are 24 (although, every nation has the same problem) as they could've helped. Kase is also 24

The good news is that most our best players are in their early to mid 20's right now (aside from Krejci, Voracek, Rutta and Gudas). Might have a bronze generation coming up for a short period but we need very few injuries and some luck.

Reactions: Goodman68

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

I like them in the pipeline but right now they probably wouldn't finish first.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden.

Arvid Söderblom
Samuel Ersson

Dahlin - Brännström
Sandin - Boqvist
Jacob Larsson - Lundkvist
Albert Johansson - Björnfot

Bratt - Elias Pettersson - Höglander
Eriksson Ek - Lundeström - Bemström
A.Nylander - Lias Andersson - Grundström
Fagemo - Ryfors - Berggren
Elvenes

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Russia

Marchenko - Morozov - Svechnikov
Kaprizov - Alexeev - Guryanov
Chekhovich - Khusnutdinov - Podkolzin
Volkov - Voronkov - Kravtsov

Romanov - Sergachev
Zhuravlyov - Alexeev
Chayka - Samorukov

Samsonov
Askarov
Tarasov

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
Slovakia

Líška - Ružička - Studenič
Slafkovský - Pospíšil - Mešár
Okuliar - Krivošík - Chromiak
Hrehorčák - Roman - Čajkovič
Buček/Kollár/Myklukha

Černák - Nemec
Feherváry - Kňažko
Grman - Bodák
Mudrák - Ivan

Húska
Tomek
Durný

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra and tobu

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

So once again-:

Team USA

Extra- K'Andre Miller

1. Jake Oettinger
  2. Alex Nedeljkovic
  3. Spencer Knight

Strengths -

I would actually consider Farabee over Keller on the 1st line, he and Debrincat can play on either wing, so they can always alternate in game. I get that he might have chemistry with Norris and Wahlstrom, but for me Farabee is proving to be a better player than Keller and a more complete player. With Debrincat on the LW, I think you'll need some of the grit and scrap Farabee offers on that line. And Farabee can also play in front of net some, to help Matthews. Meanwhile, Norris and Wahlstrom are both big and tough enough to hold their own, so Keller can be the finesse player he is.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Having watched almost every Matthews game over his entire NHL career. To optimize him, you are going to have to give him one of the Tkachuk brothers. He can win battles down low, but to get his best, you need a guy with a strong forecheck/winning battles down low. It's why he excels with Hyman, and now Thornton provided he has a playmaker on the other side. Asking him to retrieve the puck down low often while also asking him to be the defensive conscious of the line. His line will thrive on the cycle with people able to find him, and he can win his battles and puck up the puck down low. But, he's at his best as the 2nd man in where he can make a quick play off of, or, if the first forward on the forecheck can win his battle, establish the cycle and either lay it off to a strong pass who can then find him, or if the guy who wins the battle gets it directly too him. Plus, at most of his big international events he's already played with Matt.

I actually think you can solve that issue by just switching Farabee with Keller. And I actually think Farabee is turning into a better player than Keller and a more complete player than Keller. Keller would fit better with the big, tough Norris and Wahlstrom. And Farabee brings grit and down low play and goal scoring that Matthews would need. Especially with Debrincat on that line. Wouldn't quite call Farabee a power forward, but his forecheck is above average. Some of the traits that Hyman brings, but in a better overall package.

Last edited:

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa

So once again-:

Team USA

Extra- K'Andre Miller

1. Jake Oettinger
  2. Alex Nedeljkovic
  3. Spencer Knight

Strengths -

Very convenient to fit in Auston Matthews Debrincat and Matthew Tkachuk. They're 97's and in a few months are off this list... A True 23 and under team for 2021 is comprised of 98 birth years and below.

Reactions: Dominance

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia

Marchenko - Morozov - Svechnikov
Kaprizov - Alexeev - Guryanov
Chekhovich - Khusnutdinov - Podkolzin
Volkov - Voronkov - Kravtsov

Romanov - Sergachev
Zhuravlyov - Alexeev
Chayka - Samorukov

Samsonov
Askarov
Tarasov
Needs more Michkov.. Romanov, Sergachev and Samorukov will all be very good NHL players!

Reactions: snipes

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Slafkovsky - Ruzicka - Studenic
Okuliar - Pospisil - Fasko-Rudas
Hrehorcak - Krivosik - Cajkovic
Mesar - Roman - Chromiak
Dvorsky

Fehervary - Knazko
Mudrak - Nemec
Ivan - Bodak