Your national dream team since 2000

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Everything. Especially that he is superior to Modric. Go ask Ancelotti what he thinks about that flaming hot take.
Not a huge fan of Modric as a player, because I think he’s too limited in some aspects. Ask Modric to defend or break down a team and you have serious problems. Can't play ahead of the ball either. He's a deep midfielder that isn’t great at defending and slows down the team in the build-up. He's just very hard to take the ball from. Kroos has a much better understanding of build up play and the rythm of the game, progressing the ball faster and breaking lines. I appreciate players that just keep the ball very very well without creating chances, defending or covering passing lanes but I prefer what Kroos brings and think Ancelotti agrees.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Not a huge fan of Modric as a player, because I think he’s too limited in some aspects. Ask Modric to defend or break down a team and you have serious problems. Can't play ahead of the ball either. He's a deep midfielder that isn’t great at defending and slows down the team in the build-up. He's just very hard to take the ball from. Kroos has a much better understanding of build up play and the rythm of the game, progressing the ball faster and breaking lines. I appreciate players that just keep the ball very very well without creating chances, defending or covering passing lanes but I prefer what Kroos brings and think Ancelotti agrees.
Yeah, that's why he put Kroos in his ideal team and not Modric
[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
As of now, Schweini has more games than Kroos.

Sure. Back to the what is this based on again debate - and being on the pitch isn't exclusively what I meant with longevity - also performances.

Overall I think Kroos has had a better career than Schweinsteiger, but not because I think he has been the better player when both are (or rather were) at their best.

Huge difference between Schweinsteiger somewhere around 2010 vs. what he was in 2015. Kroos - so far - hasn't had nearly the same kind of drop off.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Sure. Back to the what is this based on again debate - and being on the pitch isn't exclusively what I meant with longevity - also performances.

Overall I think Kroos has had a better career than Schweinsteiger, but not because I think he has been the better player when both are (or rather were) at their best.

Huge difference between Schweinsteiger somewhere around 2010 vs. what he was in 2015. Kroos - so far - hasn't had nearly the same kind of drop off.
I don't know. Now, I don't watch Kroos at club level anymore but in the NT there was a very visible drop after the title in 2014. Is it as much as Schweinsteiger's? I don't know but it's there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't know. Now, I don't watch Kroos at club level anymore but in the NT there was a very visible drop after the title in 2014. Is it as much as Schweinsteiger's? I don't know but it's there.

I guess I'm in the opposite situation. I watch the big games for Germany, but most national team games I find uninteresting (Nations League hasn't really changed that for me), so my knowledge of Kroos would be more based on what he does on a club level.

Surprised to hear that he started dropping off all the way back in 2014 - as he has been fantastic on club level quite some years after that.

Quite some central midfield players Germany have had the last 15-20 years. Modric is in my opinion the best, but Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Kimmich etc. is just ridiculous.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I guess I'm in the opposite situation. I watch the big games for Germany, but most national team games I find uninteresting (Nations League hasn't really changed that for me), so my knowledge of Kroos would be more based on what he does on a club level.

Surprised to hear that he started dropping off all the way back in 2014 - as he has been fantastic on club level quite some years after that.

Quite some central midfield players Germany have had the last 15-20 years. Modric is in my opinion the best, but Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Kimmich etc. is just ridiculous.
What am I missing? Who is the german Modric?

Reactions: luiginb

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sorry. I live in this dream world from 1941.

Best midfield player that is - but in that group after him there would be a lot of Germans - and a couple of Spaniards.

Reactions: mattihp

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No team Canada or team USA?

ok im doing this .

USA:

Brian McBride - Clint Dempsey
Landon Donavan - Claudio Reyna - John o Brien - Christian Pulisic
DaMarcus Beasley - Gregg Berhalter - Oguchi Onyewu - Steve Cherundolo
Tim Howard

Canada:

Jonathan David - Cyle Larkin - Tomasz Radzinski
Dwayne De Rosario - Atiba Hutchinson - Julian de Guzman - Junior Hoilett
Alphonse Davies - Vitoria - Paul Stalteri
Milos Borjan

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
My Canada Roster would be:

Hoillet- David - Radzinksi
Davies - Hutchinson - Arfield - de Guzman
Stalteri - Edgar - Vitoria
Borjan

Bench: De Resario, Fernandes, Piette, Larin, Corbeanu, Cavallini, Corazzin, Forest

Reactions: Eye of Ra

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He's slowed down even more and got a little lazier against the ball for a while. I think he's trying again after 2018, but he's just so slow & ineffectual against the ball that the results aren't very different. With the backline falling off after age caught up to Mats & Boa, Toni slowing down has been even more problematic for us as the backline is less able to deal with bigger gaps in front of them.

He's still an excellent pendulum and with both he & Hummels orchestrating our build-up, there aren't many NT sides that can effectively press us high. We just have enough skilled alternatives who wouldn't be such liabilities against the ball...Kimmich, Gundogan, Goretzka & Neuhaus.

But yeah, that midfield depth is why I had trouble putting Kimmich & Lahm anywhere but FB in my lineup...although both are more influential in the midfield. Even Khedira at his peak was an excellent pressing b2ber, who was fantastic at following the ball in possession & offering a constant outlet for quick 1-2s.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
ok im doing this .

USA:

Brian McBride - Clint Dempsey
Landon Donavan - Claudio Reyna - John o Brien - Christian Pulisic
DaMarcus Beasley - Gregg Berhalter - Oguchi Onyewu - Steve Cherundolo
Tim Howard

My team is the same. Only change would be Eddie Pope for Berhalter. Maybe Bocanegra for Beasley since Beasley didn't really play much LB for the national team (atleast not at his peak). But LB was a major weakness for US since forever so I dont have a problem with Beasley.

Bench would be
Keller
Bocanegra
Bradley
McKennie
Altidore

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Italy :

Toni
Cassano - Totti - Diamanti
Pirlo - Gattuso
Grosso - Cannavaro - Nesta - Zambrotta
Buffon

This is our dream team and not the roster we actually think will win anything right?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Italy :

Toni
Cassano - Totti - Diamanti
Pirlo - Gattuso
Grosso - Cannavaro - Nesta - Zambrotta
Buffon

This is our dream team and not the roster we actually think will win anything right?

that team has everything to win it. you have plenty of good defensivly players and a gritty guy like gattuso.

no maldini, wtf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The US team should have more of their current players unless you're focusing just on what they've accomplished for the NT. Players like Gio Reyna, Dest, McKennie/Adams, Brooks, etc. are just much more talented than the likes of Gooch/Berhalter, 'dolo, O'Brien & McBride.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
that team has everything to win it. you have plenty of good defensivly players and a gritty guy like gattuso.

no maldini, wtf
You could definitely create a stronger and more balanced roster. Realistically Diamanti doesn't get anywhere near this team, or even the bench, but he had a 2 year window where he was magical to watch. Cassano is also a headcase but him and Totti were my favourite duo ever and having Diamanti playing with them would be a blast. Grosso is a one tournament wonder and Del Piero should absolutely make the squad over Toni if you're basing it on pure ability as well. Maldini was fantastic in Euro 2000 but since this is a post-2000 team I think Nesta had arguably a stronger career with the national team in that period. I was actually contemplating including Materazzi over him since he was absolutely immense in 2006.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Don't think Jogi ever actually used my beloved 4-3-2-1/4-3-1-2, but having thought about it some more, I think I'd go with:

Klose
Müller - Özil
Ballack - Kroos
Schweinsteiger
Lahm - Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
Neuer​

Get all of Kimmich, Lahm, Ballack, Schweini & Kroos into the side; with Mesut, Miro, & Müller's movement up front opening acres of space for Ballack to charge into...plus the Neuer-Hummels-Boateng triangle anchoring the defense.

Leaves Gnabry / Havertz / Reus / Schneider; Khedira / Goretzka / Frings; and Gosens / Baku on the bench.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
My france team:
Zidane

My algerian team:
Mahrez

My canadian team:
Davies

My netherland team:
Gini

My brazilian team:
Ronaldo

My argentinian team:
Messi

That's it! :sarcasm::D

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
:laugh: oh S E P H
I have never fancied Kroos, but do you think what I said about Schweinsteiger was wrong?

Klose
Müller - Özil
Ballack - Kroos
Schweinsteiger
Lahm - Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
Neuer
I hated Oezil as a LCM on Arsenal, but he was bloody fantastic for the national team. I think you'll get a better system with Schwein in the middle of the park, Ozil to his left, and Lahm as a CDM.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Howard
Cherundolo-Pope-Brooks-Dest
Adams
McKennie-Claudio Reyna
Pulisic-Dempsey-Donovan

The hardest decision was which Reyna to put in that last midfield spot. Claudio for probably another year or two.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Poland | 4-4-2
Lewandowski - Milik
Obraniak - Zielinski - Krychowiak - Błaszczykowski
Gancarczyk - Bednarek - Glik - Piszczek
Dudek

Noticeable Bench
Milik, ST
Grosicki, LCM
Mierzejewski, CAM
M Lewandowski, CDM
Boruc, GK
My stab at the team, but like Belgium majority of the best players have been developed the last ten to fifteen years or so. The problem is the rise of a prime Lewandowski hasn't been in unison with other greats like Blaszczykowski and Piszczek. Timing really screwed us considering our depth really falls off after like 70% of the starting XI. Based on some superficial readings, it seems that Polska had some awesome players in the 70s and 80s. Then it appeared that the entire programme collapsed due to the change in government from the fall of communism, which hurt from the 90s to a good part of the 2000s until 2010 when talent started to appear on the radar. Now the old era of the 70/80s is way before I ever started following football, so maybe one of you lot can confirm if our golden age was around that time?

Poland has always been known as a goalkeeper factory and when we weren't producing any talent, we did keep producing solid goalkeepers like Dudek, Kuszczak, Szcz, Fabianski, and Boruc who I would take over any GK that's on the current Euro squad. Another significant and noticeable aspect is that the right side of this team is very good, while the left side is beyond pathetic. It looks like we have a Finding Nemo issue...​

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hildebrand - Aogo, Metzelder, Mustafi, Fritz - Jansen, Baumann, Trochowski, Odonkor - Hanke, Cacau

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Poland | 4-4-2
Lewandowski - Milik
Obraniak - Zielinski - Krychowiak - Błaszczykowski
Gancarczyk - Bednarek - Glik - Piszczek
Dudek

Noticeable Bench
Milik, ST
Grosicki, LCM
Mierzejewski, CAM
M Lewandowski, CDM
Boruc, GK
My stab at the team, but like Belgium majority of the best players have been developed the last ten to fifteen years or so. The problem is the rise of a prime Lewandowski hasn't been in unison with other greats like Blaszczykowski and Piszczek. Timing really screwed us considering our depth really falls off after like 70% of the starting XI. Based on some superficial readings, it seems that Polska had some awesome players in the 70s and 80s. Then it appeared that the entire programme collapsed due to the change in government from the fall of communism, which hurt from the 90s to a good part of the 2000s until 2010 when talent started to appear on the radar. Now the old era of the 70/80s is way before I ever started following football, so maybe one of you lot can confirm if our golden age was around that time?

Poland has always been known as a goalkeeper factory and when we weren't producing any talent, we did keep producing solid goalkeepers like Dudek, Kuszczak, Szcz, Fabianski, and Boruc who I would take over any GK that's on the current Euro squad. Another significant and noticeable aspect is that the right side of this team is very good, while the left side is beyond pathetic. It looks like we have a Finding Nemo issue...​

No Smolarek? That guy was good in bvb.

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad