Your "I Hate the Ref" Moments

LAX attack*

I'll start.

So i play midget Local League hockey, and I'm 15 and a very small for my age (5'3, 110pounds) and i have played against guys over a foot taller than me and 100 pounds heavier, but anywhoo.

So we are down 3-2 with 1:30 left, starting to put lots of pressure on them and the opposing goalie covers the puck, so i glide in and stop 4ft in front of him. All of a sudden I am standing there and i get the biggest elbow in the back of the head, not even seeing it coming while this guy (Over 6') comes hard at me. My helmet falls off, my chin hits the ice (nice little cut there). I get up and he is on the ground so i start feeding him in the face with punches, while in the mean time my other team mate gets cross checked on the goalie and gets fed a bunch of punches. We made out with 3 penalty's (mine was for snowing the goalie apparently) and the other 2 were for roughing, and they got 1 penalty, and the guy who hit me never even got a penalty. Then when they are on a 5-3 and started hitting our forward with these huge elbows when he wasn't near the puck (I'm talking 40 feet away) and the ref is standing beside laughing at how he is getting the **** beat out of him. Now i have a cut on my chin, a huge head ache, might be concussed and we lost the game.

Stupid Refs:rant:

What's your Story?

XxLidstromxX

Jun 10, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
that sucks...

I'm playing in a playoff game, I'm on this guy like glue and he keeps twisting and turning with the puck, so I decide to try to hit him... I go for the hit and he's trying to dodge the hit and goes face first into my elbow and I get called for elbowing. I'm over a foot taller than this guy and I look at the ref like you're joking me right?

I get out of the box, get a clean break away and score :P So it all works out at the end :)

prorobo

Jan 18, 2010
CT
www.youtube.com
During a college game, we were down by 1 with about 5 minutes or so left in the 3rd. I'm battling for the puck in the offensive zone near the right faceoff dot looking for a pass to open up in the slot. I get cross-checked from behind in my lower back and go down. I look to the ref for a penalty and see a non-call then swing away at the said player and slash him in the legs. I go for slashing and they score the clincher while I'm in the box. That being said, I didn't play the next game. :(

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
How come no one ever starts a thread about stupid players that retailitory penalties, get sent to the box and let their team down for their selfish actions? Cry me a river boys.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I had a ref give me a handful of penalties all game. I couldn't figure it out, I was playing softer than I usually did and would get 2 for roughing, 2 for bodychecking etc...

Finally it dawned on me. I had played his men's team (I played on two teams that year) earlier and beaten. I'm a pretty cocky person normally and apparently I had been rubbing it in. (Really?) I guess I had also scored that game on a nice move and the ref was the defenseman I beat.

Oops.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
We had a round robin playoff game that would determine if we went to the championship game. We needed to win, they needed to win or tie.

Three minutes to go, we're up 2-1, and the ref calls us for interference when two guys bumped into each other in the neutral zone. As we're killing the penalty, the puck comes into the crease and one of our D and one of their forwards both lunge for it, get tangled up, and go down. We get called again, giving a 1:30 5-on-3. Sure enough, they tie it up with a minute left and we are out.

Another bad ref situation was a league game a few weeks back...they ran our goalie twice (full on not stopping), our goalie shoves the guy and we get called for the roughing. Two guys at center ice get tangled up and go down, we get called for hooking. I got my knees taken out and go down hard in the corner, no call. I have the puck on a semi-breakaway in their end and get a huge hook/slash across the chest hauling me down, no call. But they body checked one of our guys (no check league), elbow to the head into the glass, and as he went down they smack our guy in the head with the stick, no call (both refs watching). That one really pissed me off.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I got thrown out of a round robin playoff game for not fighting once.

It was 3-2 for us in the third period. Two guys started scrumming behind the opposition net during the game... you know, b/c some guys take house league way too seriously. I'm friends w/ the goalie, so I just started talking to him in the crease while they were going at it. They wound up moving around a little bit, slewfooted me from behind by accident, and landed on my arm while they wrestled on the ground before the fight was broken up. I was caught by surprise but just started laughing. I couldn't move so I just kinda laid there and did nothing (my girlfriend's pro at that!)

When the refs made the call, they threw all three of us out of the game. I thought the ref was joking at first, but he grabbed me by the shirt and skated me off the ice. I tried explaining to him that I wasn't even fighting, but he wouldn't listen to any of it. The opposing team wound up tying the game, thus keeping us in 3rd place instead of bumping us to 2nd.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Coaching one time, one of our players splits the D and goes in to get a good scoring chance. Our player gets pulled down, their player goes down as well. I'm lobbying for a penalty shot while the re calls my player tripping.

The ensuing conversation, I ask him why my guy would trip the opponent on his own scoring chance??? Response- "I don't why the kids do what they do!"

Frickin' idiot.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Im on a team that has been pretty dominate wins wise during the season. Its not like we blow everyone out there is plenty of close games. Pretty sure just because of that the refs become very bias against us at times.

So many blatent calls are "missed" and so many poor calls against us(and when I say poor I mean like youd think the guys Pejorative Slured to make that call). This is honestly the case too, the team has just learned to accept it.

Doesn't help any a few refs are actual players in the league, but because we have little support for hockey in the area just gotta suck it up.

I dont expect perfect calls, even NHL refs make mistakes or miss things so rec league refs will make much more. What Id want is more consistent calling.

Could tell so many stories of horrible calls just over my past season of playing. Atleast Im to the point now where I just dont get angry over it.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
Years back I had a game tying goal disallowed because the ref claimed it went in after the buzzer sounded. My parents had videotaped the play, so back home I had evidence that it indeed went in in time. Sucked....

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
In a game where my team's captain got a hooking penalty and an additional two minutes for asking what the original penalty was for.

Captains/Assistants have the right to ask about the penalty right?
Ref says he should know better than to ask because he has a letter on his jersey.

:sarcasm:

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
In a game where my team's captain got a hooking penalty and an additional two minutes for asking what the original penalty was for.

Captains/Assistants have the right to ask about the penalty right?
Ref says he should know better than to ask because he has a letter on his jersey.

:sarcasm:

Perhaps the ref believed that your captain did not ask for an interpretation but complained. In this case a minor penalty can be assessed. Apart from that, at least in most of the leagues I know, a penalized captain or alternate loses his right to discuss with the officials. He has to go to the box immediatly and any discussion must be made by the remaining C/A's.

OprtnShtdwn

Jan 29, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
We were down 3-2 in the middle of the 3rd Period. The opposing player is coming down along the right circle with my guy coming toward him. The Player loses his edge, crashes into me and takes me completely out of the play (I'm the goalie).

Now i'm completely out of my crease since he had pretty good momentum at me. The puck gets cleared back to the point, the guy shoots, and scores. The Ref counts the goal. I argue with the ref saying how is it now Goaltender Interference.

His Response..... he lost his edge, it wasn't his fault he crashed into you. What a joke! The guy lost his edge, took me out of my crease completely, also knocked the net off the moorings a tiny bit. I never seen such a horrible call ever. It was a joke.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
Perhaps the ref believed that your captain did not ask for an interpretation but complained. In this case a minor penalty can be assessed. Apart from that, at least in most of the leagues I know, a penalized captain or alternate loses his right to discuss with the officials. He has to go to the box immediatly and any discussion must be made by the remaining C/A's.

Ok but I'm just playing recreational hockey here, the Refs don't even know the rules. The ref just hated our team, that is all :yo:

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
Ok but I'm just playing recreational hockey here, the Refs don't even know the rules. The ref just hated our team, that is all :yo:

Just because you dont know the rules doesn't mean you dont have to play by them. If another player doesn't know about standing in the crease interferring with your goalie should I not wave off the goal?

We dont call intent we call actions "I didn't mean to trip him" doesn't make it right if you still tripped the player.

Also the more you ***** and moan the more calls that are not going to go your way.

Hrad

Dec 30, 2009
Just because you dont know the rules doesn't mean you dont have to play by them. If another player doesn't know about standing in the crease interferring with your goalie should I not wave off the goal?

We dont call intent we call actions "I didn't mean to trip him" doesn't make it right if you still tripped the player.

Also the more you ***** and moan the more calls that are not going to go your way.

First of all, relax?

Second of all, I said the REFS DON'T EVEN KNOW THE RULES. They're just volunteers.

Also, it's true that if you don't know the rules, there's no way you can play by them. But that's not really related to this...

My whole point was just that are you seriously going to make a teenager who gets on the ice once a week sit for an extra 2 minutes for a very questionable rule? Don't say all rules are equal or anything, there's a difference between intentionally killing your opponent's player and asking what a penalty is for, especially if you legitimately don't know what it's for, since the refs do call some of the most random penalties sometimes.

Me not being a NHL referee like you are, didn't know that the player who got the penalty wasn't allowed to ask what it was for, even if he is a captain/assistant.

Seriously :amazed:

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
I have only had one real problem with a zebra back in Jr's. Got Burrows'd one game. Other then that, dont have much problems with the zebras, I beak at them once and a while for fun but i have no problem with them.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
There was an absolutely ridiculous call in a game I was playing last week. Well, it wasn't so much the call, rather the lack of a call and the ensuing explanation.

My teammate was carrying the puck behind our net and some guy on the other team came flying in to hit him (in a non-checking men's league) and the momentum of the hit brought the kid's stick up and into my teammate's mouth causing a cut with bleeding. The ref actually called the guy for the hit, roughing I think, but when my teammate showed him the blood in his mouth and explained about the high stick, the ref responded with:

"All I can tell you man is that you should be wearing a cage."

Direct quote. I couldn't believe my ears.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Back when I played highschool, there was this guy getting a suicide pass at center, and I had a perfect opportunity to wreck his ****. So as he gets ready to catch the pass I get in position, and just before he touches the puck I rock him into next week.

I get an interference penalty and my coach was kicked out of the game for yelling so much.

I'm going to guess that I agreed with 4 minutes out of the 46 that I got that season. I actually averaged out at a penalty a game.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
More over a season, but they combined to have us miss the playoffs...

First time we tied a crappy team we shouldve stomped 2-2. Their second goal was a clear from their blueline when they were on the PK. I was a few feet out of my crease and I gloved it and dropped it, but the ref called it a goal from the far goal line.

Second time was last game of the season, at a team known for biased reffing. If they won they made the playoffs. Win or tie, we're in. they won 3-2. Two BS goals. Second goal the net was about five or seven feet off the moorings and it counted. Fast forward to a minute left in the game. Best player gets penalty for tripping by bodychecking a guy. They score with thirty seconds left after I had it covered and was ran over. Morons....

Ive also been given a penalty when my teammate tripped me, and that ref didnt like me for my earlier crease defending...

Also seen teammates given random penalties out of thin air.

For my brothers teams his captain got ejected for fightning. Or more like someone punching him and him laughing at the dudes face. And my dad was my bros coach so next time the ref reffed them he Burrowsed. Given a two and a ten for checking from behind by hitting a guys shoulder.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Sounds like the ref was right.

I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, the ref has absolutely no right to ignore a call because he disagrees with a legal equipment choice. By making this statement he is implying that he wouldn't have called the penalty if my friend was wearing a cage because it would have protected him from injury. That is ridiculous. Just because you choose to play without any face protection doesn't mean you have to be liable for any injuries you sustain from a penalty perspective.

A high stick is a high stick, and they need to be called every time, especially in a men's league where there is nothing at stake and people have literally zero reason to not have their sticks under full control at all times.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, the ref has absolutely no right to ignore a call because he disagrees with a legal equipment choice. By making this statement he is implying that he wouldn't have called the penalty if my friend was wearing a cage because it would have protected him from injury. That is ridiculous. Just because you choose to play without any face protection doesn't mean you have to be liable for any injuries you sustain from a penalty perspective.

A high stick is a high stick, and they need to be called every time, especially in a men's league where there is nothing at stake and people have literally zero reason to not have their sticks under full control at all times.

So you know for a fact that the ref saw the high stick infraction and didn't call it? And you were able to tell that just because your buddy told you the ref said that? You're amazing. I tip my hat to for your powers of observation and reasoning.

And I was serious, the ref was right, he should have been wearing a cage and then he wouldn't be bleeding.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So you know for a fact that the ref saw the high stick infraction and didn't call it? And you were able to tell that just because your buddy told you the ref said that? You're amazing. I tip my hat to for your powers of observation and reasoning.

And I was serious, the ref was right, he should have been wearing a cage and then he wouldn't be bleeding.

So, if we make everyone wear a cage we can eliminate the high-sticking penalty from the game completely? Is that what you're saying?

The problem I have is that by telling my friend that he should have been wearing a cage, the ref was acknowledging that the high-stick occurred and putting the blame for it on the victim. Had he said "listen man, I'm sorry but I didn't see the high-stick" there would be no issue. Refs don't see everything, that's perfectly understood as I ref myself sometimes, but a ref has no place telling someone that they should be wearing a certain piece of equipment as a reason for not making a call.

That said, it seems to me like you are just interested in an argument, and I'm already disappointed in myself for indulging you this much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad