Your Hockey Story

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
If you really want to play Junior A then go to OHS (Okanagan Hockey School) if it is at all possible. Me and Headcoach both highly reccomend it and so do many NHL players, last year Danny Heatly was there and a few other NHL players. I went there and it is owned by the Port Albernie Bulldogs, a Junior A team and that is where I got invited to their camp as a 14 year old and now I am trying out for a spot on their team when I am 16

Not to nitpick but just thought I would clarify that in fact the OHS owns and operates the Alberni Valley Bulldogs (BCHL) and the Penticton Lakers (formerly Summerland Sting of the KIJHL), not the other way around. They were around long before these teams started playing. They also have working partnerships with the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Dallas Stars.

As mentioned OHS is one of the most reputable hockey schools in the world, as mentioned, highly recommend it for the experience and instruction. Simply put, world-class. Some of the instructors include the likes of Heatley, Chuck Kobasew, Brian Burke, Andy Moog, and Scott Hannan and it has been around for decades. The Penticton camp also makes for a nice summer destination, can't beat being stuck between two lakes, one just a couple blocks away.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
The Penticton camp also makes for a nice summer destination, can't beat being stuck between two lakes, one just a couple blocks away.

Is it even a few blocks away, unless the OHA moved further away from the rink they're literally a two minute walk from the beaches.

It's a very expensive program and they have struggled in the Junior Ranks as of late but it is a top end school.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Is it even a few blocks away, unless the OHA moved further away from the rink they're literally a two minute walk from the beaches.

It's a very expensive program and they have struggled in the Junior Ranks as of late but it is a top end school.

You would have to walk down Power and you would pass Birch, Westminster, Alexander and Churchill, so kinda like I said, a couple blocks, not to get too specific though. :sarcasm:

But you are correct, short walk and their Junior Programs did struggle terribly last year at both the Junior A and B levels... Some decent people running the program though, I would expect the ship to be righted sooner than later, the whole junior program itself is still fairly young.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
After all the OHS talk, anyone else here heard of Minnesota Hockey Camp? Players don't run it, but it is top notch and has alot of NHL and college guys playin there. I met Scott Hartnell and know wheeler Malone and oshie were there among others. And the owner is well known.

PDX Coyotes

Jul 14, 2009
Portland, Oregon
After all the OHS talk, anyone else here heard of Minnesota Hockey Camp? Players don't run it, but it is top notch and has alot of NHL and college guys playin there. I met Scott Hartnell and know wheeler Malone and oshie were there among others. And the owner is well known.

That's funny that you mention that, because last night one of our guys was talking about the camp. He went there this year and met [apparently] Hartnell (though I thought he was talking about Courtnall). Never heard of the camp until he mentioned it.

So now on to my formal introduction...
I grew up (playing golf) in a small Arizona town, where the people didn't even know that hockey existed. In 1990, at about age 15, I started collecting hockey cards, because they were more valuable than baseball cards. As I started watching more hockey, I started liking the game more and more, and never looked back. Unfortunately, living in that dung-hole, there was no opportunity to play any kind of hockey, even roller. When the Jets moved to Phoenix and became the Coyotes, I made the 4-hour drive several times a year to watch a game. Last year, at age 33, I moved up to Portland, got a job with some guys that play league, and immediately jumped into playing (pick-up games, stick-time, etc...) on the ice.
Last night was my 2nd official league game, and even though I'm getting myself handed to me on a platter, I am having a blast!

And that's my hockey story.:thumbu:

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
That's funny that you mention that, because last night one of our guys was talking about the camp. He went there this year and met [apparently] Hartnell (though I thought he was talking about Courtnall). Never heard of the camp until he mentioned it.

Was he there playing or as a counselor? And Hartnell has a house up there on a lake too.

PDX Coyotes

Jul 14, 2009
Portland, Oregon
Was he there playing or as a counselor? And Hartnell has a house up there on a lake too.

He was there playing. I wasn't really paying attention, because he was talking to somebody else about it, and I just kind of overheard it, so 'Courtnall' and 'Hartnell' sounded similar. I think he said he was on the ice for 3 hours a day, for 5 days.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
He was there playing. I wasn't really paying attention, because he was talking to somebody else about it, and I just kind of overheard it, so 'Courtnall' and 'Hartnell' sounded similar. I think he said he was on the ice for 3 hours a day, for 5 days.

sounds about right ice time wise, but i think its 2 and a half hours a day.

P.S. who was his coach for the week?

Analyzer*

My brother and dad both watched it. Even my mom did, since she's a traitor communist leafs fan. My brother is a sens fan, I cheer for the habs and my dad just liked hockey.

My parents put my brother in hockey for two years. First year he played house league, 2nd year he played for the all-star team and then he stopped playing.

At about age 7 my father died and my mom made me a promise that she would get me to play hockey. When I was in grade 6, she signed me up for hockey. My mom never learned how to drive, and not really knowing anyone, we had to take cabs to the games in my town at first, and then just asked. One team had all the first year players on it, which was 3, or 4, so I ended up being switched to another team. This team was very friendly and were willing to offer us rides to and from the game.

Each year I got better and better and the team I was on always liked to have the same group of kids, so it would be more fun, the games and the away tournaments and whatnot. I eventually got use to it and became one of the best players in house league. Another player usually on the team was better than me. Luckily, we all ended up on the same team as usual and the coach told my mom that it was hard negotiating with the other coaches when picking teams to get both me and my friend, Jordan on the same team.

Later, I felt I was good enough and skilled enough to try out for the all star team. I wanted to at least do as well as my brother, or better, as we both played bowling and hockey. He had been better at bowling than me too.

I tried out for the team and was one of the first players cut. It wasn't that I didn't have the skill, it,s just, here, you needed to be rich. So, I played in house league again and had a fun time and the following year didn't even bother to try out for the team, since all they pretty much do is lose. I was tempted to go with a friend and play for the all-star team in another town, or at least tryout for it, but decided to stick with the majority of the people I knew.

I won numerous MVP awards, hustler awards, A side, Bside and even a C side championship. I won a most improved award for all of minor hockey in my area and won a dedicated, sportsmanship and skill trophy for hockey again against everyone else in my area. My coach won an award for most dedicated too.

My last year, we finished ont he A side and lost in the first round. I had a fun journey.

I also wanted to be a goalie when I started, but they had too many, so i couldn't be a goalie. I was always much better as one, so I wonder how different things would have been...

RTA Supra

Jul 2, 2009
Wesley Chapel, FL
I've lived here in Florida all of my life. Hockey wasn't exactly a big deal where I'm from, especially ice hockey. I would always try to watch a game at home when I was a kid but my dad was more of a football guy so I didn't get to watch as much. Once I got to High School, I was able to catch my first hockey game with was roller at a local rink. I actually knew a couple of members on here that played. The speed of the game and the emotion is what hooked me.

I was always into music and did the band thing when I was in school. I've never actually competed in anything sports related in my life, lol. I knew that I loved the game but never had the guts to go out there and play. I was really focused on music and just made excuses to not play.

Once I went to college here in Tampa in 2003, I was able to go see the Lightning play. I was impressed by my friends roller in high school, but you could only imagine what was going through my mind watching a real NHL game up close and personal! I then started going to the local rink here in Tampa to watch IdealisticSniper (a great friend of mine) play in his adult league. Being back to a more personal game experience, I was able to watch and learn a little more here and there during their games. I was able to see how the bench interacted with those on the ice, as well as being able to get a better sense of view from the ice.

After what seems like forever, I finally went to my first open ice skate. Mind you, the only experience I had was rollerblading with el' cheapo plastic skates from when I was a kid and once at a mall that had an ice skating rink, lol. It took me a couple of times of getting on the ice to get the hang of it, but I was able to move around fairly comfortable. BoostedFloto (another close friend and fellow member here) was also new to ice skating, though he had experience from playing roller hockey in high school. We both decided it was time to start playing some pick up hockey games.

My first game out there was a BLAST though I'm sure it was annoying for some to have a total newbie out on the ice, haha. I just couldn't believe that I was actually out there on the ice doing what I have been sitting on my ass watching for so many years. I've only got about three pick up games under my belt, but I decided to go ahead and join the rinks adult beginner league. I've got the heart and passion to go out there and learn so I think this is the best way to go out there and get it done. First practice is this Saturday :D

-Eli

CapnCrunch

Jul 19, 2009
Denver
I started playing street hockey when I was 12/13, more like a shoot-around than a game, but it was fun to play. I would practice shooting & stick-handling in my parents' driveway, and eventually had to buy a new garage door for them because of all the dents! :laugh:

I played floor hockey in high school, and actually got in my first fight. I was in front of the other team's net (where I usually play) using my body to screen the goalie and keep the D-man out of the play. He started cross-checking me and asking of I "wanted to go." Well, sticks went down, I quickly turned around, muscled him to the ground and started wailing on him, took a couple people to pull me off. The teacher/coach took us aside and told us to cool it down or we both fail. :yo:

Fast forward to my junior year in college, I just finished watching an Avalanche game with my friend and we started talking about how awesome it would be to start a floor hockey league. We talked with the intramural sports manager and setup a date for a tournament. Wasn't the league we wanted, but it was something. When we weren't in class or sleeping, we were promoting the tournament. We got 4 teams to sign-up, including our own, not a minor feat for only two guys. After we graduated, we found a public floor hockey league based out of a local university and been playing ever since (going into our 5th season this September).

I played in a C-level ice league last summer. I only had 2 assists in the 16-game season, but I tend to play more like Danny Hinote & Ian Laperrier. I energized my team's bench & played a thorn in the other's sides on more than one occasion.

ILflyersfan

Jul 19, 2009
IL
my hockey story:

it started out when i was about 10. i saw a flyers vs. penguins game on TV. me and my dad watched it. my father passed away in December of 08. i was 14 at the time 15 now. so anyway. i watched them and living in IL there is not alot of flyers games on TV. so i go NHL Network watched NHL OTF alot. i decided one day i was going to buy a cheap stick and a few of those rubber pucks and start hitting them around the garage. i thought Hey, I'm pretty good at this. then i went threw the whole learn to skate phase. i learned to skate went to a try out, made the team and first game of the season i hurt my leg. groin, ankle, knee. out the rest of the season and this year isnt looking too promising because i hurt my groin again.

thats my story. it might not be clear but anyway i hope youget the point :laugh:

TessiTheHockeyAddict

Jul 28, 2009
Montreal
I had only begun to play hockey when I was sixteen years old and in my last year of high school. On the first day of try-outs, I realized that my skating wasn't good enough to be on the team. But the coach saw the desire in me to play. He asked me if I wanted to try out as a goaltender and I accepted.

Why start so late, though? Don't all Canadians start loving hockey from a very young age? Not in my case. I wasn't often exposed to it. I didn't even start learning to skate until I was about 13 years old. Either way, my own, personal love affair with hockey began when I was fourteen years old. My mother was watching the Montreal Canadiens on TV during their 2005-06 playoff run. I ended up watching whole games and that's when my passion began to grow really quickly. I learned the rules of the game fast and I taught myself some basic Habs history. You know, about all the glory of being one of the oldest franchises in the NHL and having 24 Stanley Cups, more than any other team, who were the legendary players...

So, during the 2006-07 season, I religiously watched all 82 Habs games. In high school, the hockey teams (for boys, there were the Pee-Wee, Bantam and Juvenile divisions; for girls, there was one team for the whole school) were called the Sabres and although I felt like joining, I didn't. I don't know why I waited until my last year of high school to start playing, but I accepted my mistake and I regret nothing.

During the 2007-08 season, I watched every single Habs game, once again, and being in my final year at my high school, College Notre-Dame, I went to the try-outs for the girls hockey team, the Sabres Feminin. Like I said before, my coach suggested for me to be a goalie, which I did. I learned very quickly and it wasn't long before I played my first full game. We lost 10-0 against a very good team. But you have to start somewhere. My coach named me first star of the game for "being thrown into the fire for the first time." By the end of the season, I had played half of our games (not including exhibitions and mini-tournaments organized by other schools) and the main goalie, Marie, played the other half. We had made it to the playoffs, but we were eliminated in the semi-final. Only Marie played those games; to make a long story short, she was a lazy goalie and it cost the team quite a bit.

Throughout the year, you could tell that our coach, Sylvain, was getting more and more frustrated with Marie's laziness. Right after the playoffs, the Sabres Feminin were scheduled to go to the Quebec Provincial Hockey Championship, from April 17-20, 2008, a month from our playoff elimination. Sylvain had planned a few practices in wake of the competition, but Marie emailed him, saying that she wouldn't be going to the practices or to the Championship because her parents don't want her going. If that were the case, Sylvain thought, her parents would've called him. But they didn't, and Sylvain had reached the end of his patience. He dismissed Marie from the team. In one day, I went from rookie back-up goalie to the one and only number-one goalie. I'd have all the ice time at the Championship and I felt ready for such a challenge.:yo:

So there we were, the Sabres Feminin du College Notre-Dame, playing hockey in various arenas in Sorel. Hockey is pretty much all they have as entertainment there, seeing as it's all farmland, so they build really nice arenas for themselves. They're not comparable to the Bell Centre, but they're really nice and big. One of them even had a decent-looking jumbotron. Anyway, we played a total of four games over 3 days. On the first day, we played one game and won by a score of 4-2. I was named MVP on my team because I had managed to shut out the opponent until the last minute of the game, where the whole team kinda slacked off. I couldn't see one of the shots that got past me, and the other one was coming pretty slowly towards me, but still managed to squeeze past me. I hate those kinds of goals. The next day, we played two games. The first game was another victory, this time the score was 11-2. I wasn't named MVP simply because the other girls had done an excellent job in putting the puck in the net at the other end. Later, we played another game, which would decide who, between the Sabres and the Drakkars de Ste-Therese, would play for the gold medal game. The loser would play for bronze. We lost 5-0 to a very powerful team and because my defencemen abandoned me in the last period. (Each team would play two periods, then they'd pass the Zamboni and then we'd play the last period. I know, it's Pejorative Slured.) We had met our match. Of course, our team was tired. It was the second game of the day. As the game neared its end, I was so disappointed that I was kneeling on the ice, waiting for the play to start again, and I was close to tears, but I couldn't cry, just because I was happy to have come so far. The team returned to Sorel the next day with the hopes of beating Chateauguay Valley Regional to win the bronze medal. Our team had so many scoring chances, but CVR never really had one on me. Finally, we scored, leading 1-0. The game turned into a nail-biter from then, especially when CVR came millimetres away from tying the game. Everyone was crowded around my net, some trying to clear the puck, others trying to push it past me. Their sticks kept trying to hack at the puck while I tried to freeze it with my glove. All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the puck fly up near my shoulder, which I used to block it. One of the CVR girls saw that and groaned with frustration. It gave me a sick sense of satisfaction, though. One of my teammates cleared the puck after I blocked it and I could hear cheers coming from the Sabres supporters sitting in the stands and from my teammates on the bench. Next thing I know, there's ten seconds left; the girls began to count down. Then the buzzer sounded and I was surrounded by all of them, receiving congratulations in the form of bear hugs, high-fives and head bumps. Then we all lined up on the blue line, facing the other team and waiting for our medals. The referees were standing near me, discussing who they thought would get the MVP on my team. Two of them figured it would be me, since I shut out CVR. They were right; I got my second MVP award of the tournament plus a bronze medal. Not bad for a rookie, not bad at all.:laugh:

That was the last time I got on the ice with the Sabres. There was still a month and a half of school left. My grandfather (from my mother's side) owns a Greek restaurant called Mythos and I suggested to Sylvain to have a team supper there to hand out trophies. He liked the idea, so we did it on June 3rd, 2008. As we ate, Sylvain and his assistant coach, Genevieve, announced the winners of the trophies. The categories were: best offensive/defensive player, most improved, most perservering, most "Star of the Game" points collected and "Sabres of the year". I won the most-improved category. My coach told me, loud for everyone to hear, that I won by unanimous vote. Every single one of my teammates had chosen me as the first of the three most improved players. You can imagine the shock on my face, and the pride I felt at that moment.

After graduation - well, way before that, actually - I had vowed to continue playing hockey. Of course, since my college has no ice hockey team, I had to sign up with a league. At the end of August, I registered with Hockey Montreal Feminin, obviously an all-girls league. I can play there until I'm 21.

Now for the 2008-2009 season. The Habs weren't too great, but they were better than my Canadiennes de Montreal team. We were the second worst Midget B team of our league. You might think I'm biased when I say this, but we had some good players, but a horrible coach whose idea of a good practice session was skating around the first face-off circle, then the center ice circle, followed by the other face-off circle and shooting on the goalie. No one learned much; I learned to be good in one-on-one situations and the rest of the girls learned to be good in shoot-outs, which we don't even have in our league. Just penalty shots. But what about making good offensive/defensive plays? What about me being good at 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 situations and what not? How are we supposed to become better players? We knew we could've been a better team when one day, the assistant coach was making us practice. He made us do real hockey drills. :handclap:

And yet, we still went to a tournament in Gatineau, Quebec and came back with a silver medal. I believe we played four games. All of them went well. I was supposed to play the final, but I got pulled after I let in 2 quick goals. One was really bad, but the other one was an unstoppable tip-in (my coach didn't think so... dummy). It hit someone's stick in front of me and flew up over my shoulder. He told me he had hoped that putting Tatiana, the other goalie and my good friend, in would shake up the team and make them play better (because they weren't doing too well, either), but we had to settle for second best. He later admitted I wasn't THAT bad.

Since we only have 8 Midget B teams, our team made it to the playoffs, but, to make a long story short, we didn't last long. Now I'm sitting here, dying for the 2009-10 season to start, as much for my league as for the NHL.

And that's my hockey "career" so far. It's only been a year, but I've already got a silver medal, a bronze medal, two MVP awards and a most-improved trophy. Since I plan to play until my body can't take it anymore, I'm hoping to add to the collection. I've still got a lot to learn, though. :)

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I started playing little mite hockey when i was 3, and organized tyke hockey when i was 4. I made Rep hockey in Novice, but have played local league every year since. Mostly due to the fact i am super small (i just hit my a massive growth spurt, now i am 5'3 100pounds exactlyand 15years old, but this time last year i was 4'6, 68pounds) i have been the leading scorer on my team every year since atom, and when i used to attend hockey camps i would contantly win MVPs and Most sportsman like player, i will be playing Midget hockey this year and be playing guys 3 years older than me and twice my weight (literally)., I have always bean the little speedy kid on my team, and ever since i started playing contact hockey (9 years ago) i have never been hit, other than a little rub out here and there.

Burlington Bomb 26

Louie Louie Oh oh
Mar 16, 2008
Green Mountain State
I grew up with hockey around me. My dad played...My Uncles played...its in my blood. Been a big fan my whole life and have been playing since I was 6 until recently where injuries have put me on the shelf. Never have played roller hockey competitively though.

Played in AA/AAA for most of my life and had some great times. Never really won anything which was disapointing but playing for my School is where I won a ton of tourny's and what not.
Won the State championship my Junior year and lost in the Finals every other year which I have to say sucked. Played all 4 years varsity and has appointed Captain for the final two.

Now, this is where things went south. The semifinal game of my senior year with 2 minutes left in the third with the game tied I went to get the puck at center ice and got hip checked from behind and blew up my knee. I just thought I strained it as addrenaline kept me going. We went on to win the game and I tried suiting up for the next game which I got 5 minutes into the 1st of the Final where I got another dirty hip check and couldn't get back up. Which lead to a brawl which was pretty entertaining I have to say. We lost the game in OT and I still havent gotten over it.

I had a scholarship to a fairly good D-2 School to play but I haven't been able to play because of my knee so it got revoked. Which is very disapointing.

Boo hoo. And winning states in jersey isn't hard.

I kid.But seriously

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad