Your Hockey Number and Why?

Scott Hall

The Bad Guy
Jul 11, 2008
I've always been curious as to why some people choose the numbers that they wear when they play in a beer league. Is it because that's what was assigned to you when you took over for some guy who left the team? A number you wore when you were a kid? Your favourite player? Whatever the case, what's your number and why?

I used to wear #67 for the LONGEST time - the reason being, as a kid growing up, I was a huge fan of the Penguins with Lemieux and Jagr - and I had a dream that one day, I'd be playing on their line. I always created myself in all of the EA NHL games, and that's about as close as I ever came to that dream.

Right now, I wear #5 because the GM of my team (aka, the guy who organized the team), decided that the better skaters should play as defensemen - so when we reworked our jerseys, I switched to #5 (my birth month and part of my nickname).

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I was #10 growing up, for Pavel Bure. They only had low numbers so I couldn't go for the Mario, which I would've.

Now I'm #93 because it was available on the team I joined. It felt weird playing w/o #10 on my back for a while but I doubt I'll go back unless we get new dark/light jersey sets.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Wore whatever number my favorite player had pretty much up until 2002 when I kept getting called Datsyuk because of my hands, so I switched the following year to my favorite player Datysuk. Senior year of high school went with 18 in memory of my moms birthday who past away in 07, her birthday was 4/18/61, but we can only go up to like 29 except goalies. Next year I'll be playing club for Central Michigan University and will wear 61 or 52 (dads birth year) because he is the reason why I am as good as I am today (not that I'm going pro).

Droid6

Feb 7, 2012
Norfolk, VA
When I started playing 3 years ago I asked for #91 because I always liked Federov when I was a kid but the guy that ordered my jersey had 19 put on it instead which I didn't choose because I had so much respect for Yzerman and didn't want to look like the ****** playing with Yzerman's number but after the first season it was just easier to keep that number so that's what I play with.

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
We don't have official numbers in the games I play, but I got the number 56 on my jersey, because I like the number, no special reason.

damacumich

Oct 25, 2011
The team I joined is more of an organization, with teams across multiple rinks and divisions. I joined very recently, so there were maybe only 15 numbers available. Every number I could think of was already taken, so I just ended up picking 88. No importance to me at all, I wish I could've picked 12.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
#1 because that's what I was given, my team had got new jerseys that year and I signed later just before the season started, and that was the only goalie cut shirt they had. If I was given a choice I would wear #30 since its what most NHL goalies wear. As a skater in NHL video games I always wear a number in the teens, preferably #13, then #15, then #14, I don't even know why

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
39 for Calgary Flames-era Doug Gilmour. I play D now though, so it looks a little funny not being a traditional D number but whatever.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
9 because I loved Modano as a kid and my uncle worn 9, so that was my number growing up.

First year I was 67 because I thought it looked cool. Then switched back to 9. Thinking about going 10 or 16 with the next team (Bure/Gaborik and Hull).

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Number 19. Yzerman, and Sakic. I'm Captain of my team, always had respect for how they came off towards other players. I wanted 9 but another kid wanted to wear it for his mother that passed away. Her birthday and favorite number were 9. I had no issue whatsoever of letting him have it.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
5 because the jerseys at my league are provided and small numbers=small jerseys. I like it tight so my muscles bulge ;)

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
#28 because of Tie Domi.. my all-time favourite player. Also had 17 because of Wendel Clark (my dad's favourite player) and my moms birthday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad