your hockey injuries over the years

604flames

Feb 28, 2007
Vancouver
I've broken my..
- fibula
- ankle
- foot (on three separate occasions, all on the same leg)

3 concussions too, broke my nose a couple times, and a separated shoulder.

Fenix

Sep 18, 2006
Been playing 11 years now and suffered numerous sprains(too many to count), pulled muscles and bruises, couple bone bruises, of course.

As for more major...
-Concussion
-1 inch cut in my thigh from skate blade that needed 5 stitches
-Slight tears in both the meniscus and LCL ligament in my left knee
-Broke the radius bone in my right arm twice in 2 weeks(first was just a hairline fracture which i thought was a sprained wrist, 2nd was a BAD fracture)
-Swelling in the bone marrow of my wrist
-Partial tears to ligaments in my hand
-Pinched nerve in my neck
-Starting coughing up blood one game... still dont know what caused that

I think that's about it... Didn't miss a game from anything besides the 2nd time i broke my arm.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I've had it pretty easy, all things considered:
-A couple/few concussions. Mostly minor, thankfully.
-Broken collarbone.
-A bunch of things that I never got checked out, and have now become minor nagging problems: Both knees, wrist, etc.
-Chipped tooth, a bunch of bleeding (no stitches yet, though, somehow), some pulled muscles, etc.

Given that I've seen many guys get some serious injuries from seemingly innocent plays, I feel pretty lucky to have played for 17 years and have the list be so short.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Well, in minor hockey, I'm 36 now, so, say 28 years ago.... bruised a rib blocking a shot.

In more recent years, playing rec league hockey:
Badly bruised thumb getting hit with a slapshot from my teammate, going to the net...
hit in the mouth with puck, cut lip pretty good
sprained knee a few times, need a brace
puck rolled up my stick cut me on the eyebrow on the left eye
puck deflected hit me in the right eye, needed 7 stitches to close it right on my eyelid near the tearduct. Stitches rubbing your eye are annoying!

worst one: some wannabe tough guy puts me in a head lock from behind and drives me head first into the ice resulting in me beign totally disoriented, talking nonsense, not knowing how I go the arena/who I came with, etc.... so, suspected concussion, plus I had a rocking headache for days.

UserName

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site
assorted bruises and welts from blocking shots with my stomach
busted my lip and required stitches when someone headbutted be during a game
suspected concussion when i got hit (like brandon sutter) i was reaching for a puck at center ice during a pickup game. killer headache for a couple days after that.

beardedgraf

Nov 4, 2008
Dallas
torn cartilage in my left knee which was taken care of with minor surgery (scope)

other than that just some cuts and bruises

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
begin list//:

cut lower lip (stick) 11 stitches
cut under left eye (puck) 9 stitches
cut right eyebrow (stick) 6 stitches
sprained left ankle and torn ligaments (stepped on by opponents skate)
Fractured 9th dustal rib (checked from behind into boards)
Fractured nose (puck)
partial tear of right groin
Shoulder seperation (boards)
Front four teeth lost (stick)
Replacement bridge for four front teeth knocked out or broken (x2) (acquired removable bridge)
Assorted bruises, (blocked shots) strains, sprains, soreness and a few concussions (I cant recall)
Fractured right fibula (Sept 08) (rehab in progress)

end list\\:

But after each injury "I CAME BACK"

"Like I told the doctors, if you want me to stop playing Hockey, its going to have to be something really serious!"

edit: thats in almost 40 years of playing hockey.

Last edited:

kohlmanator

Nov 18, 2008
Ottawa
1 Major concussion and 2 minor (Baseball swing to the head)
Broken wrist
Teeth knocked out (3)
Broken fingers/knuckles - too many to count
Sprained foot
Bruised kidney
broken ribs
Broken tailbone - causing pilonidal cyst - Absolute worst injury ever!!! Doctor said no hockey for 18 months (after surgery). 6 down 12 to go!!!!

I'm 21.

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
- two fractured feet in back to back years, first it was the right, then it was the left
- a weird hand injury that came as it went, without knowing what caused it.
- knee injury
- countless groin strains
- slashed in the face just below the nose. Surprisingly nothing was broken, although I did have a concussion
- now have two broken vertebrae after getting cross checked in the back playing ball hockey

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Wow I didn't know the Havlat syndrome was so common!

Broken collarbone and fractured rib, nothing major ;) Oh and a sprained wrist that lasted waaaaaaaaay longer than it should have, maybe you are supposed sit out the "recommended" amount of time instead of oh it feels fine giver.
Oh wait a slap shot to the groin didn't feel to awesome either.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I have a few, one is quite embarrassing, but none of them major.

1) I got nailed with a slapshot during warmup right on my shoulder where my shoulder pads don't cover. Couldn't life my arm till the next day (couldn't play obviously)

2) I was screening the other teams goalie when a pass from the side hashmarks and the boards came out in front. I tried deflecting it with my skate, as my stick was tied up, but it was just a bit to far to the side and I pulled my groin quite badly.

3) After the last game of the season, we were leaving the ice and my stick got caught on something behind the bench. I tried to hop over the boards, but my stick was stuck so, while sitting on the board, I yank at it, flip over and sprain my ankle, I missed the entire playoffs and we didn't advance past the first round due to some technicality (explained below) that could have been avoided if I had played.

Actually, funny off story, the last game of the playoffs, we had to win like 9-0 to make advance on goal differential. If we lost, the team we were facing went on and if we won but by less, another team advanced. This caused our coach to pull the goalie for most of the game, we lost like 6-3 and the 3rd team I mentioned seems to think we threw the game and most of those players had serious grudges against me for a long (I worked behind the bench while injured and apparently it was my idea to throw the game).

I miss hockey :(

ashleesimpson<3*

this is my second year and I have had
Concussion, sprained ankle, Groin strain, some kind of neck and spine injury(my first game since getting that is tonight), a bunch of bumps and bruises, broken ring finger too.

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
Is it just me or do people go completely out of their way to make hits in high school hockey more than anywhere else?

Any of you guys ever got those hits where you're flying down the ice, you suddenly lose the puck in your feet, for example (or you get a sucker pass), and don't have time to react. You've seen some fat ass taking shots at everyone the whole night and you know you're ****ed....I've gotten a couple concussions like this, but that's about it.

only serious injury was a broken shoulder while b/c someone cut me off while I was snowboarding.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
Is it just me or do people go completely out of their way to make hits in high school hockey more than anywhere else?

Any of you guys ever got those hits where you're flying down the ice, you suddenly lose the puck in your feet, for example (or you get a sucker pass), and don't have time to react. You've seen some fat ass taking shots at everyone the whole night and you know you're ****ed....I've gotten a couple concussions like this, but that's about it.

only serious injury was a broken shoulder while b/c someone cut me off while I was snowboarding.

that's called a concussion pass.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA

Is it me or is it completely comical that concussions aren't considered a more serious injury amongst the people here? People are throwing them out like strains... I'm wondering if these are diagnosed concussions or people just think they are concussions. I've never been diagnosed with one but I'm pretty sure I've had a minor one from snowboarding because I had a lot of the symptoms.

Besides minor sprains or bruises that hurt for a few days or weeks, the only real serious injury I've had was a severe ankle sprain where my skate got stuck and the rest of my body twisted after getting hit. My foot was at a 90 degree angle to my leg and completely flat on the ground because I could read the whole inside of my skate. I also got a hairline fracture in my fibula because it cracked from the twisting. First time I've broken a bone though! Before that incident I had never been hurt seriously enough to not be able to get up and get off the rink under my own power.

Eagle20

Nov 2, 2006
i've had:

Concussion, some pretty bad bruises, took a puck to my knee cap, fractured that. I have such bad bone spurs in both of my heels that the achilles tendon attached themseles to it. The doctor said they would have to slice my tendons in half remove the spurs and then reattach the tendon to the heel, a surgery i opted not to do especially at 25 years old. Two herniated discs, a couple of groin pulls...actually i've had a nagging groin injury this season so far but im still going strong. Bursitis in the knee.....ahhhh such good times!!!! :yo:

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Dislocated Shoulder X3
Torn MCL
Seperated Sternum -- Ribcage
Broken Ankle
Broken Wrist
Two Concussions.

Meh, I thought I was relatively lucky injury wise until I saw this list, haha.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Although not hockey related,

I have to wear ankle wraps whenever i play sports to hold em tight because on each ankle there are sharp points, so if i make a quick stop, or flex my ankle sideways my foot muslcle gets pinched by the ankle bone.

My wrists are shot from moutian biking, which i also got muscle bruises and bruised ribs in my back from a wipeout.

From highschool football i messed up my shoulders and my right elbow. If i reach up and behind me my shoulder locks, and my elbox is just unperdictable.

In middle school in gym we had to take gymnatics for a couple weeks each year. I sprained my knee, and every since it locks up occasionally.

Im starting to think i may have some sort of cartilage damage or somthing in my shoulders and knees.

As for hockey related injuries, just locked up shoulders and knees, and sprained ankles thanks in part to my previous injuries.

Oilfan89

Sep 25, 2008
I never have had nothing too major, just the bumps and bruises, the worst I had was being checked from behind. It messed up my back really bad. But now i play goal and have had a couple of strained groins, bruised knee from my knee hitting the post, nothing too major compared to other people. Guess i maybe had a minor concussion too, but relatively lucky in terms of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad