your hockey injuries over the years

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
i've been playing since 1977 and i'm 37 years old.the highest level i played was junior b and two minor pro tryouts ( failed both)
i dont wear a visor.
anyway i was counting battle wounds today and thought it would be cool to compare with others.

i have a half dozen or so scars around my mouth from sticks. and i lost a small chunk of my earlobe when a guy i hipped did a flip and his skate hit my ear. 24 stitches on the chin from a puck.and many black eyes over the years from ...punches,pucks,elbows,and a stick.one concussion, two dislocated shoulders, two seperated hips, many sprained knees,and sprained ankles,and wrists, a busted bursor sac on my elbow,and a few dozen bloody noses, and three cracked teeth.
how about the rest of you ?

Redden Hogalot*

I never really had a major injury before.

I've had a lot of minor ones. Sprained wrist, torn knee (I guess you could say that is major because every now and then it bugs me), sprained ankles, sore back, etc.

bustoff

Sep 2, 2008
In 81 broke my knee cap and kept playing. Had a hat trick after I did it but had to cherry pick just to do it which was'nt my style. After that, it was off to the hospital. Now my knee is so shot I can't play hockey anymore.

howley

Jan 21, 2007
fractured wrist, 2 seperated shoulders, 4 concussions, bruised ankle tendon's(very painful), sports hernia, internal bleeding in my right kidney and by far the worst...groin injury. I have somehow never taken sticks or pucks to the face that have been bad enough to cause scars.

Hyperkookeez*

a severe shoulder injury(couldnt move it for a month but stupidly i didnt get it checked), a major back injury(crossed checked in the lower back...not fun), bruised knees, various ankle and wrist scars and sprains. ive been pretty lucky. no concussions, groin injuries, or anything serious deadling with the lower body.

the cool part about the shoulder one is that it came from a friendly "check" from andrew macwilliams in practice when we were about 10

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Blocked a slapper (not on purpose, it was pick up..) from one of the guys who play on our ECHL team down here.. got a small fracture in my foot and could barely get my skate off without extreme pain. Other than that I've been relatively unharmed, aside from a few small sprains, bruises, etc that most people get playing hockey.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
my "career" has semingly been all about injuries. My first one (turned out to be major) was a severe groin sprain.. Then there came the bruised hip, chipped tooth with a side order of cut lip, broken foot, broke my right wrist and sprained my left TWICE, about 4 broken fingers, dislocated thumb, broken rib (from being in the way of a AA players slap shot ) strained acl and two wicked charley horses (I called them "my babies" for a while ;)

At one point (because I was dumb enough to p[lay through most of these, I finally had to give in to my Doc's advise and pull a "forsberg" (sat out for neary 8months0 damn that sucked ass... do you have any idea how boring/annoying the world is when you can't skate?:laugh:

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Broken finger trying to catch a slapper (dumb I know) blew out both knees.

2 concussions.

broken toes

sports hernia

seperated shoulder.

I think the worst one was a deep tissue bruise.

Analyzer*

A sprained wrist, cuts and bruises. Got my chin split open from an elbow, 5 stitches. and.... a broken leg.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
I caught a blade just on the outside of my eye socket from an upswing of a slapper (street hockey, goalie fell, I jumped to block the shot). got 2 stiches, Dr. said had it been about a 1/4" inward to the eye I could have been in a world of trouble. Outside of that nothing really, just bruises and a broken finger.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Dislocated jaw 20 years ago.

Nine stitches to the mouth from a puck about ten years ago.

Currently sidelined indefinitely with a frozen shoulder full of rotator cuff tendonitis and calcification. \ Fun stuff.

qwertysac

Nov 14, 2008
Montreal, Qc
broken ankle from falling into the boards, broken middle finger from a hit, chipped front tooth from a high stick and hairline jaw fracture from a butt end

not so bad, i got off easy compared to others :laugh:

schreibkrampf

Jul 16, 2006
BC
Played AA hockey from Atom to Midget in Alberta ... then intercollegiate hockey in BC.

During my years I have had a grocery list of injuries ... but no internal bleeding.

In peewee I suffered two sprained shoulders (results of being hit from behind) and a hip flexor (due to poor ice in Lanaria).

For my two years of Bantam the only injury I suffered was a broken pinky finger.

In my one year of Midget I suffered two serious knee sprains in the same game. In the first period I was kneed as I cut back into the middle of the ice. I played through the pain and in the third period I was drilled from behind into the goal post. My knee somehow got caught and I was done for a month and was on crutches. My first game back was in provincials and during the first period of that game I got kneed yet again. For the rest of the tournament I needed a brace to keep things happy and needles to dull/freeze it.

Once I moved to intercollegiate hockey I suffered two groin pulls ... one which kept me out for 2 months. In my second year of intercollegiate years of being the horse standing in front of the net took its toll as the back pain I thought was just wear and tear was actually several herniated discs in my lower back. In my third year of intercollegiate hockey I had my bottom row of teeth re-arranged by a butt-end to the mouth.

When it is all said and done the only long term pain I continue to feel is in my back. Every morning I must spend up to 10 minutes doing different yoga poses just to stretch out my back and get things working properly.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Wow, I feel lucky compared to you. In 11 years of hockey, so far the worst that has happen is I got a massive slapshot in the hand and it bruised, and a few slapshots to the ankle.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've only been playing a year, but so far I seem more prone to injuring myself in the locker room than on the ice. My ring finger is still sore from that sock tape incident over a month ago. Then there was that time when I knotted my laces and partially tore a fingernail trying to get it undone. As for on the ice, no problems so far.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Torn ACL & cartilage at the same time, 9 stitches to the shin from a deflected slap shot, 6 stitches to the lip from a deflected pass. For playing hockey for 15 years I've been very fortunate to avoid injury. I guess I'll keep saying my prayers and taking my vitamins brother.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Been playing for 14 years now......

Broken ankle from sliding/crashing into the boards while playing as a forward. Sidelined me for 6-8 months

A few light concussions and a pulled groin or two.

All in all, been relatively lucky.

A lot........and I mean a LOT.....of extremely close calls that could have been far worse than what I've actually had thus far.

Actually, until my broken ankle a few years back, I had never even had anything worse than a pulled muscle. I vividly remember lying on the ice after hearing it snap, knowing immediately that it was broken, reflecting back on all the close calls I'd had up to that point (not just in hockey, but in all the sports I've played) and thinking to myself, "Oh well, I knew my luck would run out eventually. I was overdue for this and had this coming someday. Guess it'll be today." :laugh:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
-2 concussions, one was a result from getting hit from behind, the other was the result of a suicide pass. I looked one way to get the puck, I got hit from the other side and went down like a sack of bricks. Imagine Scott Stevens and Paul Kariya.

-Torn ACL, it didn't tear all the way through, but it was enough to keep me off hte ice for about 2 months. I had scored a goal earlier that game and went to go around the same girl and she stuck her knee out. Sucked.

-Dislocated jaw. Same time as the second concussion. I was chewing on my mouthguard when it happened.

- Seperated shoulder. I have a shoulder injury to begin with and I put my arm out to brace myself from a hit and I seperated it.

- Torn hip flexor. Strained it orginally playing ball and had a hockey game right after (I'm a catcher) and I fully tore it when I caught an edge in the corner.

- Broken hand (twice.) Slash on the first one without a glove. I was down to pick my glove up and got slashed. The other one, I caught the puck when I was down blocking a shot and broke it.

:facepalm:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Nothing major...

Sprained my knee last summer going into the boards pretty hard. Hurt for a few weeks, still hurts occasionally but not too bad.

Blocked a shot and sprained my foot a couple months back. Hurt for a week, still hurts occasionally but not too bad.

mcsk*

I'm in my seond season now. I've broken my fibula as well as one of my upper front teeth.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I've actually been pretty fortunate w/ injuries at the ripe age of 20:

- Knocked out a tooth
- Type I Separated Shoulder
- Broken hand (metacarpal)
- Knee strain (minor tear in the meniscus)
- Pinched nerve around the neck area (head shot)

So far I've been able to avoid a major injury from hockey.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
All of my real bad injuries came in pickup games,Broke my fibula and tibia at the same time,Broke my left arm and got a concussion that ended my full contact hockey days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad