Your handedness and how you shoot

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
Righty, but shoot left. However, I am seemingly in the considerable minority in my league. The entire rest of my team shoots right for starters.

There was a study that suggested US players usually shoot on their 'normal' side (eg. right-handed, shoot right), but Canadians/Europeans tend to use the dominant-hand-on-top rule (right-handed, shoot left etc). So, while I learned to play here, I guess I can't shake the European in me. ;)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'm right handed and shoot left. which has been and still is the majority in the NHL

but in recent years i've noticed most adult players that i know are right handed and shoot righty. i'm actually one of only 2 lefties on a team that i play on out of 14 players and in my league, there are far more right handed shooters than left. so i'd say that these days more righties are actually shooting right instead of left

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010
Right handed and shoot right, but like to mess around with LH stick for fun/practice every now and then. I wish I could feel comfortable shooting left, because my stick control is so much better with my dominant hand on top, but it just feels goofy to me.

My left eye is my dominant eye and I think that's a big part of it - having my right eye forward in my shot motion doesn't feel right.

I also feel really funny with the core rotation in that direction and pushing off my left leg and transferring weight onto my right. My arms/hands feel fine either way, but I get no power on my left-side shots because I have a hard time planting my left leg as the back leg. MY backhand is much better when I shoot lefty though, which makes sense, since it's closer to a right hand shot (same core rotation and left eye forward).

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I am lefthanded, and shoot righty for ice hockey. I can't shoot or stick handle left handed to save my life(Other than being comfortable using my left arm/hand solo to shield the puck).

I throw left and bat right in baseball. However, now that I am old and play softball I can switch hit just fine, and actually feel I hit the ball far better from the left side.

Playing goalie in ball hockey though I catch with my left hand, and hold the paddle in my right.

Weird, i guess.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm a pure righty. I always thought that placing your dominant hand at the bottom would favor your shot, since it makes it easier to flex the stick, roll the wrists quickly and point at the target. Using the dominant hand on top could be better for stickhandling, though.

I started playing hockey with a flat blade like most of the kids, to determine my handedness. I chose to be right handed because I could only flick the puck up in the air with my right hand.

Dominant hand on top = dangler (Datsyuk, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Kovalev)
Dominant hand at the bottom = sniper (Ovechkin, Stamkos, Semin, Kovalchuk, Kessel)

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
I can't vote for some reason, but I'm RH/RH. In my limited experience, I've noticed guys who started as kids, tend to be more Right Hand/Shoot Left, and guys (like me) who started as adults will tend to be Right Hand/Shoot Right.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I can't vote for some reason, but I'm RH/RH. In my limited experience, I've noticed guys who started as kids, tend to be more Right Hand/Shoot Left, and guys (like me) who started as adults will tend to be Right Hand/Shoot Right.

FWIW I started as a kid and didn't shoot opposite, so you can add me to the list of freaks :laugh:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm a lefty who shoots left.

To be fair I am right handed when it comes to a few things (throw a baseball, billiards, drums, guitar, bow and arrow, boxing.)

But everything else I'm dominant lefty (writing, eating, scissors, swinging a bat, golf club, hockey stick, or racquet sport, throwing a football, bowling, basketball, volleyball, using my cell phone, shooting a gun, etc.)

Although playing soccer growing up I was right footed. I never thought about that though. Do most lefties also you their left foot or is that completely separate?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

To be fair I am right handed when it comes to a few things (throw a baseball, billiards, drums, guitar, bow and arrow, boxing.)

But everything else I'm dominant lefty (writing, eating, scissors, swinging a bat, golf club, hockey stick, or racquet sport, throwing a football, bowling, basketball, volleyball, using my cell phone, shooting a gun, etc.)

Although playing soccer growing up I was right footed. I never thought about that though. Do most lefties also you their left foot or is that completely separate?

It's completely separate. Gareth Bale from Real Madrid and Lionel Messi from Barcelona kick with their left foot, yet they write with their right hand.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

It's completely separate. Gareth Bale from Real Madrid and Lionel Messi from Barcelona kick with their left foot, yet they write with their right hand.

It is completely separate, yes. I'm left handed, defining that by the fact that I write with my left hand, but I do plenty of sports right handed as well. Racquet sports, bowling, golf, throwing a ball (football/baseball), etc. I'm a righty.

And I'm right footed when it comes to kicking things, hands down.

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
I'm a righty....I write with my right, kick with my right....and shoot with my right lower....
Not sure what the issue is.

Only thing I do lefty is shoot pool...not sure why, but I figure It's because I want control with my strong hand....always been that way since I was a kid.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm a righty....I write with my right, kick with my right....and shoot with my right lower....
Not sure what the issue is.

Only thing I do lefty is shoot pool...not sure why, but I figure It's because I want control with my strong hand....always been that way since I was a kid.

You mean that you have your left hand in front ? If that's what you meant, it's normal, all righties do that.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I'm a righty that shoots lefty and my brother is a lefty that shoots righty... Go figure.

I write, golf, bat, and do everything else in life right handed but hold a hockey stick left handed. Is that weird?

Trl3789

Jun 17, 2011
Bay Area
You mean that you have your left hand in front ? If that's what you meant, it's normal, all righties do that.

I'm RH/RH, but do a ton of things "left" handed. Use a fork, hold drinks, shoot pool (right hand in front), use a shovel/rake (left hand on the handle). I write, throw, kick, use a cell phone, play racquet sports all right handed.

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
I'm right handed and I shoot right. But, I shovel and shoot pool left handed, which really makes sense if you shoot hockey right handed. I bat righty too.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm RH/RH, but do a ton of things "left" handed. Use a fork, hold drinks, shoot pool (right hand in front), use a shovel/rake (left hand on the handle). I write, throw, kick, use a cell phone, play racquet sports all right handed.

I do the same. I didn't know that I was left handed for something... Whatever, I doubt it has any influence on how you play hockey.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
Righty that shoots right, wasn't until not too long ago that I learned about the dominant hand being on the top and that I probably should've been shooting left.

Been thinking about trying to switch over to left and see if that changes anything, just been fooling around with a lefty sometimes though trying to get used it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad