Goalies: Your handedness and how you catch

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm a lefty, but I catch with a glove in my left hand. Starting playing baseball at a very early age and my dad started me out throwing right. I bat lefty though and throw a football lefty. When it comes to throwing darts, which I don't do often mind you, I never know which hand to throw with. Same comfort level.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Throw left baseball...
Decided to take up goalie finally this year (adult) and got full right equipment.

I can catch left just as easily with a ball glove though (as a kid would play street hockey with regular gear since that was what was commonly kicking around)...

Of course, I shoot left too which makes stickhandling as a goalie a little awkward..

scryan

May 1, 2013
Waiting for us to get a right handed full right. That way we know who to make fun of.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Catch baseball with my left and bat righty. RH in Hockey. But I write school assignments lefty. :sarcasm:.

Catch left but RH I guess.

Analyzer*

I'm right handed, but I can play goal either way. I'm better with my left hand, though. So, vote for left handed ?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I write with my left hand, but my right arm is my dominant arm. I play goalie with a left handed glove, I tried both handed sticks (without gloves on) in the shop and it felt more comfortable holding the stick with my right hand. I had never played baseball in my life so I would've liked to use my right hand for catching as it's the dominant arm but it felt much better holding the stick with my right hand.

I learnt to play hockey right handed, then after playing goalie catching left for about a year I picked up a left handed player stick while playing street hockey and discovered that I could play equally as badly lefty as I could righty

Ever since then I have been ambidextrous when playing street hockey with friends. Playing righty "feels" more natural as that was the way I grew up playing cricket and golf but I can release a mean wrister when playing lefty

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Waiting for us to get a right handed full right. That way we know who to make fun of.

I knew 2 sisters who were right handed and played full right, but I think that was attributed to their first contact with the goalie equipment being second hand gloves from a full right goalie so they never knew any better and just got used to that

Probably explains why they were terrible

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
couldn't imagine holding the stick with my left hand. The margnial increase in skill i would see from my glove would be overwhelmed by the decrease in skill that would come from holding my stick in my left hand

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I'm right handed and catch left. I shoot left in hockey and bat left in ball, so shooting the puck in my goalie gloves doesn't feel (too) weird.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
When I played, I'm a lefty and catch left handed. It's just more comfortable for me. I feel more comfortable catching left handed and having the blocker and stick in my right. I'm not sure why but to me it's just weird catching with my right hand, even though I catch with my right hand in baseball.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Write with my right hand. Shoot right. Throw with my right hand. Catcher is on my left hand. I've tried going full right. I admire steve mason. That **** is HARD

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I shoot left in hockey and catch with my left as a goalie. I guess I'm lucky since most of you seem to be righties catching with your left. (makes for awkwardness being on your backhand by default)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad