Your Greatest Accomplishment in hockey

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
I was just wondering what everybody thinks their greatest accomplishment was while playing hockey? Now this could be your team winning a big tournament, or and individual thing?

Mine would be when my minor hockey team won the International Silver Stick. My town is only 1500 people and it was quite the thing to go play against Big City teams and come home champs. My most proud day on the Ice. What about you guys(and girls)?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Silver Stick champ from a small town is awesome!

Mine would be an inline game when i was 11 or 12. I had 2 games in a weekend and it was a rare time my dad got to see me play. 1st game i think i had 3g 2a. 2nd game was something like 2g 2a.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
To date my greatest moments in hockey are the day I played my first game of shinny and the day I scored my first goal.

Reckless Abandon*

mine wuld be wen i scored 18 goals in a recreational league... but we lust 21-18 but i didz gud.

Nah but seriously, my best moment was when I came back chasing down a kid on a breakaway, goalie came out to challenge him, got beat, I dove , the kid shot it, went off my shoulder and it deflected wide. Was in the 2nd period, probably didn't save the game or anything, but it was ****ing exhilarating.

iceman17

Dec 8, 2007
Id say last game of the season (HS)....my team was tied for best record in the league and we were playing the other best team. I scored the 1st goal and the crowd was insane...we went on to win 7-2. It was great to win the division the last game of the season.

Sucked that we lost in the semis though.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
my best and most important accomplishment in hockey has two parts..... one knowing that my dad was proud to watch me play throughout my "career" and two ... teaching my boys everything i know so they can be as good as they can.

danoc19

Oct 4, 2007
Prince George
My final year of Midget Hockey was one big highlight.

When I was named captain of my Midget AA team in my 17-year-old season. That same season I also scored my first ever OT winner and my only career hat-trick. I finished the season with 10 goals and 24 assists and received the Ian McIntyre Memorial Award for Sportsmanship.

Unfortunately we lost 6-0 in a district final. Our team had only 8 shots on goal through three periods.

Sony Eriksson*

I have had a few of them:

Back to Back scoring titles on my Midget A travel team - We won the Championship those 2 years.
1st title = 60GP = 45g 63a
2nd title = 52gp = 38g 55a

Played a charity game for Radisson Sask. that helped save the local hockey rink. Famous players i played with in the charity game...Gordie Howe!!!!! He actually gave me an elbow and knocked me to the ice. I was 17 and he was well a lot older..

Tryout with the now disbanded Ft. Worth Fire...Kept the bench warm for 1 season.

K-PAX*

Probably when I went from a kid who regularly made C teams to becoming one of the best players in my town in my age group. Happened around 8th grade, something just clicked and all of a sudden I was the best player on the A team instead of the best player on C teams.

I wish I could point to something specific but this is really my proudest accomplishment.

pcgflyers12*

got a shootout goal in last year's championship game to give us the win...

pcgflyers12*

GWG in the Finals. we won 2-1 in 2OT. LONGGGGGG game. i was so tired. there wasnt very many penalties or stops of plays so we didnt get that many breaks.

pcgflyers12*

Silver Stick champ from a small town is awesome!

Mine would be an inline game when i was 11 or 12. I had 2 games in a weekend and it was a rare time my dad got to see me play. 1st game i think i had 3g 2a. 2nd game was something like 2g 2a.

thats a cool story to hear.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
Our team won the Western Shield in my last year of Midget. I assisted on the OT winner in the semi-final. In the final we scored an empty netter with about 15 seconds left to seal the deal (3-1 final score), so we got the chance to finish off the game with all 5 graduating players (last minor hockey game) on the ice at the same time.

K-PAX*

That sounds really cool. I wish I played youth in Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device

XweekendwarriorX

Jul 19, 2007
Buffalo,NY
when i was younger i played goalie and defense and as a goalie i won a patch for my jacket for the zero club which is only given to goalies who have had a shutout streak of ten or more or have gathered over 25 shutouts league games. i was told i did both. i also won MVP for the first tournament i played in and had 5 shutouts in the 5 games i played. another one is scoring on my one and only penalty shot when in high school.

GuitarAwesome

Feb 18, 2009
I've got alot from my junior days, but hands down has to be this one time, in an Ontario tourney(22 years old, we sent the only quebec team, versus 11 ontario teams). We went the first three games 3-0, outscoring them 37-0.(These were the bad teams). In the third game, I was given a push by the defender into the goalie. Goalie took exception, and gave me a whack. I gave him a shove back. He took two steps back, and swung his stick, two handed, at me, catching me right in the neck(no neckguard, it was a friendly tourney). So yeah. the 3 minutes of not being able to breathe sucks(and is really, really scary), the coughing up blood sucks, the not being able to talk for 5 days suck. I get it checked out, windpipe isn't crushed, but it's not in great shape. I say, errr, think, **** that, I'm finishing this tournament. Went on to lead the tourney in goals and points, got the MVP, all while not being able to talk. The goalie came to me a few times, apologized alot, he said he was aiming for the shoulder pads to scare me, and just missed. He got tossed from the tourney, and his team DQ'd. I turned out fine, it just messed up my voicebox for a few days which was the oddest part. So yeah, being able to bounce back from that, in a matter of hours, was probably the manliest thing I've done on the ice.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
For me it was playing on a dominant team in my first year of Bantam. We were pretty good for the first half of the season, then in a mid season tournament (minor hockey week) we blew a two goal lead in the final game. From that point on we didn't lose a game. We tied once, and felt like **** after. It was really unbelievable the chemistry on that team. Anyone could play with anyone and it would still felt fluent and natural. We swept the final series 2-0 and it was one of the better feelings of my life.

LTNINGFan

Other than getting rookie of the year in roller hockey, I think it was being part of a team that won 1-0 game make the top of the list for me. Of course for roller hockey, that score is too hard to believe, but we beat a team that consisted mostly of college kids, and at least half were Canadian, so it wasn't a team of ham-n-eggers like ourselves, lol. For some 20-30 year olds to win a game like that against such stiff competition, it was a great thing to be part of.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
When I was 8, some kid was on a breakaway and I skated back as fast as I could and checked him.

Man, that was so cool as a kid.

Also, I won game MVP in a tournament final once. I think I had 2 goals and 4-5 assists. We won, of course.

zoo99

Nov 15, 2006
Got into a car crash on the way to a tournament, one of the other kids parents came across it and drove me the rest of the way while my mom and brother waited for the cops and tow truck, ended up getting a shutout in the game and winning in a shootout against a team from Sweden.

HVPOLARBEARS19

Nov 17, 2005
NY
I've had some pretty good times on the ice.
One I remember is when I was 6 years old in a tournament in Cape Cod as a mite in my 1st year.
Our team was pretty bad, at least in comparison to these teams...not terrible but they were better. Anyway, I lost my stick (must have fallen down) and for whatever reason I couldn't pick it up with my glove. I tried a few times but couldn't get it so instead of just trying to pick it up over and over again, I decided to just leave it, and I skated down the ice as fast as possible to try to catch up to the play. The kid on their team ended up getting a partial break away but I somehow caught him, dove in front of him and blocked the shot saving a goal. We still lost like 5-0 or something, but after the play was over and the whistle blew I skated down the ice to get my stick and the opposing coach yelled out "great play #7" which I'll always remember.
Then my coach turned to my dad (the assistant coach) and said "he's been watching the NHL too much" haha.
Definitely not my most glorious moment on the ice or anything like that as I've been on some really good teams that won some good tournaments and stuff like that, but this moment I will always remember.

Also, just to follow up on what another poster said about teaching his kids, I've been teaching private lessons to these kids, 5 and 8 (I'm 21 now) and it is seriously the most awesome thing. Watching them improve and love hockey is so cool, so if anyone has the opportunity to coach, or teach hockey or anything, it really is great, especially for the little guys.

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
In terms of individual stuff... Playing well enough at an OHL team's open training camp to warrant some moderate interest.

But overall it has to be winning State's in my sophomore year.

Magic33

Feb 5, 2008
MTL
Pretty cool thread!

I'd have to say it is one of two things. Being a huge part of my Prep school teams success. I got there and wasn't sure if I would start in goal. I ended playing every game for the next 2 years. Great time and experience.

Second, although I didn't earn it or anything, I'd have to say it was playing in goal at the NHL all-star game this year (during the breakaway challenge). I could have hung up the skates forever after doing that. It was a dream to play in the NHL, and i guess you can say i kinda did. I was something i'll never forget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad