Post-Game Talk: Your Florida Panthers @ Detroit Red Wings - 7 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So we're 4-0-1.

Reading this thread makes you think we're 1-4-0. lol
It's way too early to draw any conclusions - we've played Chicago, Detroit and Columbus, we needed the OT too many times to win, 2nd line looks bad, Bob concerns...
But all those worries aside, the record is fantastic.

Great debut by Hepo, strong game by Lammikko and Tippett looking better.
IDK what it is with Huberdeau (slow start?) but we really need him to figure it out ASAP.
He was suspect in the first but props to Bob for shutting the door the rest of the game.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Anything on the right side of 0 is good, whether it be offense or defense.
Anything on the left side is bad.

It's basically WAR made up of GF and GA attempts etc. That was definitely Stralmans worst game of the year. Hoping it's just rust for Nutivaara

For being rookies, Tipp and Hepos defense was pretty good and DET did control a good portion of the game

Was surprised our 1st line was shut down for most part as well. We won with special teams and a strong second half from BOB

Okay so I’m not that much of an idiot lool

But seeing Stralman and Nuti’s charts, I thought I was wrong and didn’t understand anything lol

But what does « individual » and « miscellaneous » mean ? That’s the part I dob’t get...

Also... I hate Dom Lucszy and his famous model that he tries to shove up your throat in every articles on The Athletic, saw those were his graphs... So while they are fun to analyze, I won’t put much into it ! :)

Reactions: batting1k

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
The good:
- Bob was solid and there when needed, for once
- The rookies looked good - no liabilities, learning the D system, plus creating chances
- Happy Hepo! He deserves all the honors, great game, by all Finns
- Thought Ek was our best Dman again by a mile

The bad:
- not really bad, but due to the high expectations, Verhaege a little weaker in comparison to other nights
- At least he scored a goal, but Yands was still bad tonight. The penalties he took were so dumb disrupting our 5-on-5 - not even the rookies are taking these kind of penalties -, many very weak clearing attempts
- Too bad, Tippett with another goal post. How many now - 4 or 5? Hoping he'll get one soon to start rolling. Overall a decent game with all other rookies

The ugly:
- does Huby get the slow starter bonus like Bob? He definitely needs it. Just noticable because of his dumb penalty, and being too cute as usual
- I still dislike this PP setup with Ek on the right and Huby on the left, slows everything down. They loose so much time when receiving a pass to turn towards the goal for a decent shooting position, so that the PK can get into position. Kind of the contrary to what you look for when on the PP...

Reactions: Clint

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Really happy for Hepo. I think we've all been excited by his raw talent for awhile. Not surprised at all his goal came at 3 on 3 with the extra space to maneuver.

But how about that effort by Duclair? Really incredible to capitalize on that turnover, squeeze by the check, then lay a perfect tape to tape pass for the easy tap in. That one was all him.

Is it too early to admit that I'm actually becoming optimistic for the rest of the season?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Wennberg has been horrible on faceoffs to start the season. 42%. Too lazy to look but how's he been before on faceoffs?

I think needs to swing a trade for a center somehow. Unless... We can get Lundell from HIFK soon ;)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

But seeing Stralman and Nuti’s charts, I thought I was wrong and didn’t understand anything lol

But what does « individual » and « miscellaneous » mean ? That’s the part I dob’t get...

Also... I hate Dom Lucszy and his famous model that he tries to shove up your throat in every articles on The Athletic, saw those were his graphs... So while they are fun to analyze, I won’t put much into it ! :)

Some people out way too much stock into those numbers when there’s way more that goes into winning a hockey game. Useful stuff but should not be the end all, like him and others make them out to be.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Really happy for Hepo. I think we've all been excited by his raw talent for awhile. Not surprised at all his goal came at 3 on 3 with the extra space to maneuver.

But how about that effort by Duclair? Really incredible to capitalize on that turnover, squeeze by the check, then lay a perfect tape to tape pass for the easy tap in. That one was all him.

Is it too early to admit that I'm actually becoming optimistic for the rest of the season?
Larkin was pretty gassed though, spending the entire OT on the ice up to that point. And actually not that easy for Hepo since it was an aerial pass and he hit it in the air.

Nevertheless, a great play by Duke, he could not have played it any better!

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019

100%agree!

Also, just great awareness by Hepo... to me it looked like he might have been going toward the bench to change, then he saw Duke recover the puck on the wall, turned and went straight to the opposite post...crazy just how composed he looked.

I'm sure his whole life he's been hearing about how his lack of size will hold him back...I for one just hope he keeps grinding...he sure seems to have gotten Q's attention, from his comments afterward...just got to root for a kid like that for sure!!

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Wennberg has been horrible on faceoffs to start the season. 42%. Too lazy to look but how's he been before on faceoffs?

I think needs to swing a trade for a center somehow. Unless... We can get Lundell from HIFK soon ;)
According to the official stats, Wennberg one only 3 of 12, so 25%. The others were almost even (Lousto), even (Lammikko) or over 50% (Acc and Barky)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Who was saying that Barkov’s individual performance was bad tonite? That chart says the opposite, that his individual performance was fantastic but his D and O team (line) scores were negative.

I'm not sure who was ripping on Barkov. I think that was Verhaeghes first bad game. The whole line wasn't as dominant as usual but they cant be expected to do it 100% of the time.

We had Luostar score the other game, Hepo tonight so hopefully the depth is starting to show up and take some pressure off Barkys line.

Not entirely happy with 2nd and 3rd lines right now, I'd slide Horny down to 3rd with Vatrano and bump Tippett/Connolly/etc up with Huberdeau and Wennberg.

Vatrano and Horny could play off each other's dump and chase style. Horny will still see a lot of PP time.

Wennberg can remain defensive on 2nd line but get him better offensive threats with Huby and a shooter in Tippett/Connolly

Ya as B said below, its more just a quick look see to get a rough view of the game. Id put a ton more value in reviewing actual game footage.

Here's a real rough explanation of the 4 segments.

Screenshot_20210131-090106_Samsung Internet.jpg

Some people out way too much stock into those numbers when there’s way more that goes into winning a hockey game. Useful stuff but should not be the end all, like him and others make them out to be.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

45.6% for his career. Not one of his strengths.

Other than that I thought this was a step forward for the second line. They put pressure on the Detroit D and consistenly won battles along the boards. If Huberdeau had the confidence to shoot, they could have scored a couple. The goal they gave up was not great though.

It may not have been as bad as the other goal though. I understand that Verhaeghe wanted to make sure to cover his guy, but doing so he turned away from Bertuzzi and left him all alone in front of the net. That was obviously the result of Barkov and Nuti going for the same spot and Strålman marking someone else, but it was a very strange decision by Verhaeghe. Some of these guys don't have the best defensive instincts. It was ok for the most part, since Bob bailed them out multiple times after that.

It was fun to watch the FS Detroit broadcast. They were desperately trying to find positives in the Detroit PP, pointing out how they keep it simple by passing around on the outside and not creating any scoring chances. That's what happens when you try to run a PP without a quality QB. I was impressed by Bobby Ryan though. I thought he would be a bit washed up, but he was dominant out there.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Anything on the right side of 0 is good, whether it be offense or defense.
Anything on the left side is bad.

It's basically WAR made up of GF and GA attempts etc. That was definitely Stralman's worst game of the year. Hoping it's just rust for Nutivaara

For being rookies, Tipp and Hepos defense was pretty good and DET did control a good portion of the game

Was surprised our 1st line was shut down for most part as well. We won with special teams and a strong second half from BOB

GF and GA attempts, eh? So, it's just a slightly modified version of the much maligned +/- then? ;)

Agree that Stråls and Nuti did NOT have a good game. Though the lack of support from some of the forwards didn't help either. Losing crucial faceoffs was also a problem.

Okay so I’m not that much of an idiot lol

But what does « individual » and « miscellaneous » mean ? That’s the part I don’t get...

As much as I love to post stats that favor a beloved player (don't we all?) , I don't take as much stock in some of those stats anymore since a game analysis a couple seasons ago. All the charts showed Girardi as having a great game statistically yet it was his two horrendous turnovers that led directly to two Goals Against. :facepalm: Somehow the stats didn't reflect that and the author of those charts admitted as much via twitter. :laugh:

Agreed. Definitely useful stuff and a helpful part of an overall analysis of a game/team/player but not the Ultimate Truth.

Unless is supports my personal opinion of a player, of course. :sarcasm:

Reactions: batting1k

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Hepo speaks great English
That was alarming. Only the clumsy Finn prospects have made it. Remember what a lovely dork Barkov was, or OJ before for that matter.

Puljujarvi lost in Edmonton was perhaps an extreme case, but Rantanen, Aho, Heiskanen, Laine, and so forth didn't exactly shine with eloquency in their first interviews. Look'em now.

That said, I hope the tide has turned. The edu system isn't half bad in good old F. It's about time it shows.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The good:
[...]
- Happy Hepo!
[...]

Couldn't help recalling a kids' board game called "Happy Hippo"; and "hepo" indeed means "horse", if not the hippopotamus variant of river horse but more like the hippodrome racers.

His family, back when they got themselves a family name, must have been proud of their horsey, or otherwise they wouldn't have named their spot of land, estate and themselves "cape horse", "heponiemi".

Sorry, had to put this weird stuff in. Carry on with Floridan roaring wildlife instead

Last edited:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Couldn't help recalling a kids' board game called "Happy Hippo"; and "hepo" indeed means "horse", if not the hippopotamus variant of river horse but more like the hippodrome racers.

His family, back when they got themselves a family name, must have been proud of their horsey, or otherwise they wouldn't have named their spot of land, estate and themselves "cape horse", "heponiemi".

Sorry, had to put this weird stuff in. Carry on with Floridan roaring wildlife instead

Awesome, you picked up where I was going with it!
And I believe we already saw a lot weirder stuff on this board, so feel welcome to contribute more along this line

Reactions: Stubu

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
That was alarming. Only the clumsy Finn prospects have made it. Remember what a lovely dork Barkov was, or OJ before for that matter.

Puljujarvi lost in Edmonton was perhaps an extreme case, but Rantanen, Aho, Heiskanen, Laine, and so forth didn't exactly shine with eloquency in their first interviews. Look'em now.

That said, I hope the tide has turned. The edu system isn't half bad in good old F. It's about time it shows.

Well, Hepo isn’t straight out of Finland. He played 2 years in the WHL around English speakers and spent last year in the AHL.

Reactions: Stubu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad