Your fix for the PP

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
Its obvious that we've been struggling on special teams, but I cant recall watching a team be so futile when up a man.

Personally, I would:

-Put Voracek on the bench, hes not a threat to shoot so teams can pressure G even more and mishandles the puck more often than not

-Put another Dmen out there, someone who can really bomb it, I know Foster doenst usually play, but he already had one deflected in this year. At least a guy who the other teams have to respect somewhat because honestly, Kimmo is almost like a forward out there. He has a good shot, but he moves the puck around well up top and has proven to be a great set up man. He makes mistakes, but hes our best option on d

-Keep Giroux, obviously

-Keep simmonds, he's done nothing wrong

-Add dynamic player. As much as I like Knuble, he doesnt offer much besides standing in front of the goalie and putting in rebounds. What we need is a guy who can not only do that, but move the puck around down low and up high as well as set up other guys or possibly bury if he gets set up. Right now I would think Couts could do that job the best, but there are other candidates as well.

So you would have

Kimmo (QB)
D-men with bomb (Foster, someone else, threat to shoot, teams have to respect that and **** away from G)
-G (working half boards well, set up down guys down low/cross ice, also a threat to shoot
-Simmonds (working in front of the net, gets ugly goals)
-Dynamic player (guy who can work in front of the net, but also move it behind/around, someone who is a threat from multiple spots)

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Honestly, more shooting and less of this fancy tic tac toe passing. From an outsider's perspective, it looks like they're waiting for the perfect opportunity to shoot the puck rather than taking any good opportunity they get. Very pass happy.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
They've been running the same powerplay set for a good while now. Teams are catching on to it and finding ways to beat it. They have to adjust and find a new way for it to run through Giroux. That and he needs to pull his head out of his *** and stop committing brutal turnovers on the powerplay.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
It worked really well last year, but maybe teams have picked up on it. Honestly though it seems more like a lack of execution ie. fumbling passes, holding onto the puck too long, getting frustrated and passing cross ice instead of just getting the puck down low.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
I don't know if I'd change anything right now to be honest. Most of the issues seem to be rust and lack of chemistry, if the PP continues to struggle against the Caps on Friday after two days of practice, then I'd be looking for changes.

RJ8812*

they just need to stop being fancy

get traffic in front and shoot from the point

simple

budscweizer16

Jun 14, 2004
Prospect Park(outsid
Its pretty simple I think,
Firstly, Get Jake off the powerplay.
Then you roll with Kimmo and G on the point.
I hate to take G off the side board, cuz hes great there(usually anyway, not so much lately)
Then you put Simmonds down low, banger. trash man type. good board play
and Ideally u want Hartnell there, but Knuble will suffice across from Wayne for now.
Then in G's normal spot u use either Danny, or Read. Preferably Briere.
both are somewhat similar, and can score.

Briere to me is the only real spot that should be in question. I would love to Keep G down low, b/c hell get it together sooner than later, but Briere/Read nor anyone else on the roster appears able to play that second pp point spot across from Kimmo.

Short term solution, that could be a long term solution.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd take jake off the pp until he gets going.

Unit one:
Simmonds-G-Schenn
Kimmo-Foster

Foster for his shot with Kimmo qbing and G in his usual spot. Simmonds in front and Schenn for his shot. I realize Schenn hasn't been performing so you may wanna put read in there

Unit two:
Knuble-Briere-Couturier
Gus-Schenn

Schenn can really bring it on the point. Gus (when healthy) has decent instincts and Briere in his usual spot with Knuble in front and Couturier ready to pounce on anything that pops out.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It worked really well last year, but maybe teams have picked up on it. Honestly though it seems more like a lack of execution ie. fumbling passes, holding onto the puck too long, getting frustrated and passing cross ice instead of just getting the puck down low.

Putting the puck in any corner of the zone is the worst thing to do if they keep running this triangle/diamond powerplay. The whole thing relies on three guys, the two on the half wall and the guy at the point. They move it around until the they find a whole in the coverage for a one-timer. Hartnell and Simmonds should only be providing screens and rebound chances in this formation, if it's run correctly of course. If the defense is able to force the play into one of the four corners of the zone, the whole play falls apart and they start forcing passes that aren't there.

Honestly, I'd love to see them scrap it and start running something geared around Danny behind the net and Giroux on the half wall. The current powerplay has just been found out and adjusted to by opposing defenses.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I don't know if I'd change anything right now to be honest. Most of the issues seem to be rust and lack of chemistry, if the PP continues to struggle against the Caps on Friday after two days of practice, then I'd be looking for changes.

Could be the Rangers coaches know us better, but everytime Jake gets puck on right side their pk'er way over plays the pass back to Kimmo. They know it is highly unlikely that he will go to the net or shoot, so they cheat to the play he makes 90% of the time which leads to turnover or Kimmo having no time to make a play.

Would love a shooter in Jakes spot, maybe try Couts or Brayden. Even Grossman has a heavy shot ?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Try to expose the aggressive point defenders by sliding someone like Read into the slot for a better look at the net. The point men are too static, and they are allowing a perimeter game on the PP. If you get movement by the point men and two quick passes into a shooter in the high slot, you start to break down an easy PK (which it has been against the Flyers' current system for awhile). Once the forward PKers have been breached, things get a bit more scrambly for the 2 Dmen and the slot man can either shoot through the screen or pass off to the other forward breaking from the side.

At the very least, you put some doubt in the minds of the forwards, who are presently able to pressure the point men without concern.

FlyingHigh28*

They just need a few more days off and then they'll get it right.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Jake needs to not be on the first unit for now, move G back to the point with Kimmo, sub Briere in G's spot rotate Read and Schenn, and keep Simmer out there doing whet he do,

Simmer-Briere-Read/Schenn
Kimmo-Giroux

Second unit, move Giroux back to the side wall, with Knuble, and one of Read/Schenn, Bruno and Coby/Foster

Knuble-Giroux-Read/Schenn
Bruno-Coby/Foster

gives the other team a different look moving G back to the side wall, I mean honestly it couldn't be any worse than what is going on now

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
As others have said, remove Voracek. At least from the first unit. If you've got Kimmo and Giroux out there to play QB then the other guys need to be threats to shoot. Almost literally anyone but Voracek would be better in his spot. Try Schenn or Couturier. How about:

Unit 1:
Kimmo
Foster
Giroux
Simmonds
Schenn

Unit 2:
Coburn
Briere
Read
Knuble
Couturier

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
The problem with the PP is that they don't move at all, there is no rotation. G on the half board, Kimmo at the top, Jake on the right. 2 guys in front of the net, who support down low. You watch teams with good powerplays and sure they might have a guy or two who don't move much but typically guys are constantly in motion trying to break down the defense. The Flyers typically just stand in one spot and hope the passing is crisp enough to generate a scoring chance.

They also need to stop using the boards so much, they cut their time and space in half when they're constantly fishing the puck off the boards.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'd say start to move more on the PP. Rotate the hat of the PP if need be.

Briere-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen-Foster

Read-Schenn-Knuble
Coburn-Couturier

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: