Movies: Your favourite snack while watching a movie.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
They say when you open a movie theatre you're in the candy business. It's how they make their money. Ticket sales go to the studio. So good on all the people who support the arts by stuffing their faces with over-priced junk.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Peanut m&m's do the trick usually.

That's always been my dad's favorite. I like them, too, but not really for watching movies because they don't last long. I've never been able to get over how my dad would start on them during the trailers and finish them before the movie even started. If you're going to do that, why not just eat them while waiting for the trailers to start or, if you bought them at a convenience store, eat them in the car on the way to the theater?

They say when you open a movie theatre you're in the candy business. It's how they make their money. Ticket sales go to the studio. So good on all the people who support the arts by stuffing their faces with over-priced junk.

Theaters do get to keep almost half of the ticket sales, but that pretty much all goes to the expense of running the theater. The concession sales are what they rely on to make any profit, as you said. As much as I want to be critical of their exorbitant prices and people disrupting my movie viewing with their chewing and popcorn smell, ticket prices would have to be several dollars higher without them. On the other hand, maybe paying a few more bucks for a quieter, less sticky and less smelly movie viewing experience wouldn't be such a bad trade off, after all.

Last edited:

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
I don’t usually eat anything if I’m at the theatre, I don’t know I guess I don’t eat a lot in front/with other people. but if I’m at home I’ll pick up some tasty local Belgian chocolate or maybe some ice cream. Usually end up regretting the later the next day :D

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Even if I were starving, I wouldn't bring such food into a theater if only to spare those around me from smelling it throughout the movie.

Really?

So you are stranded in the desert for a week with no food and very little water. You stagger over a dune to find a shining theater in the middle of the desert. You rub your eyes but yes it is not a mirage.

You stumble in to the foyer and are greeted by the smell of nachos piled high with meats and peppers and melted cheese. There is even the hint of chili in the air.

You take a few tentative steps when a man blurts out, " You're late. The movie's starting. Here's your plate of Supremo Nachos."

He thrusts a plate of sweet smelling goodness in to your hungry hands and nudges you toward the doors to the show. "Hurry, you can't eat those out here and you're not allowed to leave with them."

Do you:

A) Politely decline. Give the Nachos back and leave. Risking death due to starvation in the desert.

B) Give up and lay down on the rug.

C) Say screw those people and hammer down those Nachos while everyone glares at you.

What say you?

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Usually nothing. I might buy a soft drink at a theatre. I usually prefer going to some eatery after a movie (to talk about it or other things).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
"Hurry, you can't eat those out here and you're not allowed to leave with them."

Darn. My answer was going to be that I'd scarf them down in the lobby so that I didn't have to bring them to my seat. I wanted to outsmart you, but you thought of that loophole and shut it in my face. Darn you.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Darn. My answer was going to be that I'd scarf them down in the lobby so that I didn't have to bring them to my seat. I wanted to out-smart you, but you thought of that loophole and shut it in my face. Darn you.

I knew you would try to run back out so I also made sure I took that away.

You know. Health code and all.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I knew you would try to run back out so I also made sure I took that away.

You know. Health code and all.

You thought of everything... except an explanation for why a shining theater would be in the middle of a desert. We shan't get fussy over such details, though. You know. Hypotheticals and all.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You thought of everything... except an explanation for why a shining theater would be in the middle of a desert. We shan't get fussy over such details, though. You know. Hypotheticals and all.
Unwise investors were trying to create a new Vegas. :)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

You still haven't answered the question.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sour patch kids GOAT

Have you tried the watermelon ones? They come in boxes and bags of only that flavor. They're so good... and they're shaped like watermelons! Darn, my mouth is starting to water.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
That's always been my dad's favorite. I like them, too, but not really for watching movies because they don't last long. I've never been able to get over how my dad would start on them during the trailers and finish them before the movie even started. If you're going to do that, why not just eat them while waiting for the trailers to start or, if you bought them at a convenience store, eat them in the car on the way to the theater?

Theaters do get to keep almost half of the ticket sales, but that pretty much all goes to the expense of running the theater. The concession sales are what they rely on to make any profit, as you said. As much as I want to be critical of their exorbitant prices and people disrupting my movie viewing with their chewing and popcorn smell, ticket prices would have to be several dollars higher without them. On the other hand, maybe paying a few more bucks for a quieter, less sticky and less smelly movie viewing experience wouldn't be such a bad trade off, after all.

Even better...thanks for clarifying!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I thought I'd finished a bag of Skittles when I found not one but TWO hidden in the bottom of the bag. I LOVE when that happens. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00