Movies: Your favourite snack while watching a movie.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't eat during the movie at least in the theater

When I'm watching a movie on Netflix like I was for Solo I eat cereal while watching

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I don't order snacks at theatres, I just grab a black coffee at McDonalds before hand since the theaters let you have outside coffee.

As for watching a flick at home, I like healthy alternatives so I do like popcorn. But I always air pop it over my stove and add cold pressed olive oil instead of butter and just a small sprinkle of sea salt (I prefer the texture of popcorn over the taste anyway).

But if I ever end up snacking on a cheat day I will probably indulge in either a Reeces PB cup and/or a Snickers. Or a Blizzard of I really feel like splurging.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Popcorn. Nothing else really. I hate when they push a combo on you that has a big bag of candy.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've never really understood the idea of snacking while trying to concentrate on a movie, especially pop-corn, which is particularly noisy, and especially in a theatre, which is particularly cramped, probably dirty, and uncomfortable. It's two hours, people. Why wouldn't you eat before and after instead?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've never really understood the idea of snacking while trying to concentrate on a movie, especially pop-corn, which is particularly noisy, and especially in a theatre, which is particularly cramped, probably dirty, and uncomfortable. It's two hours, people. Why wouldn't you eat before and after instead?
It's a treat. It's part of the fun.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
More people agree with me than you. ;)
This is completely off on a random tangent, but you know, one thing I've realized about myself over time is that almost every single one of my unpopular opinions can be traced right back down to this general attitude I have about how any extra expected but lesser and unnecessary enhancer added on top of a thing that I already like and think is great on its own usually feels more like a negative for me than a positive.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is completely off on a random tangent, but you know, one thing I've realized about myself over time is that almost every single one of my unpopular opinions can be traced right back down to this general attitude I have about how any extra expected but lesser and unnecessary enhancer added on top of a thing that I like and think is great on its own usually feels more like a negative for me than a positive.
LOL!!! What????

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
LOL!!! What????
Like... unnecessarily adding something harmlessly positive to a thing that I feel strongly about never makes it better for me, it always makes it worse. And virtually every unpopular opinion/disagreement I have seems to come down to some form of that disconnect. :laugh:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Like... unnecessarily adding something harmlessly positive to a thing that I feel strongly about never makes it better for me, it always makes it worse. And virtually every unpopular opinion I have seems to come down to some form of that disconnect. :laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Like for example, if I like hockey, I hate hockey pools. If I like music, I hate the concert/crowd atmospheres that are supposed to make them better. If I like movies, I hate that you're supposed to make a whole thing out of it with the popcorn. If I like the idea of getting into art, I hate when that whole collector's/investors mentality infects it. They don't complement. They detract from the purist part, which is the part I care about.

I wouldn't be surprised if despising crowd-pleasing movies that use manipulative gimmicks that a lot of people happen to enjoy comes from the exact same mentality. It's aaaallll coming from that one thing.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Like for example, if I like hockey, I hate hockey pools. If I like music, I hate the concert/crowd atmospheres that are supposed to make them better. If I like movies, I hate that you're supposed to make a whole thing out of it with popcorn. If I like the idea of getting into art, I hate when that whole collector's/investors mentality comes with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if despising crowd-pleasing movies that use manipulative gimmicks that a lot of people happen to enjoy comes from the exact same mentality. It's aaaallll coming from that one thing.
You're a complicated man, Shareefruck. A complicated man. :)

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I agree when it comes to heated foods. I especially don't understand eating nachos, which are so noisy that you can't hear anything else while you're chewing. Also, you have to look down to make sure that you're grabbing an end of a chip that isn't covered in cheese, which takes your eyes off of the screen and is hard to do in the dark. Popcorn is not quite as noisy and doesn't require taking your eyes off of the screen, but the butter and salt are messy and the smell is overpowering. When food is heated, it tends to give off aroma. Even if I were starving, I wouldn't bring such food into a theater if only to spare those around me from smelling it throughout the movie.

I don't mind snacking on candy if it's done quietly. My movie-watching candy of choice since childhood has been Red Vines licorice sticks. If I were to buy and snack on anything in the theater, it would be that, since it's quiet, doesn't smell and can last for most of the movie. At home, my snack of choice during movies is a bowl of ice cream.

More people agree with me than you. ;)

I agree with Shareefruck while no one has agreed with you, so it's 2 to 1 against you so far ;).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Like for example, if I like hockey, I hate hockey pools. If I like music, I hate the concert/crowd atmospheres that are supposed to make them better. If I like movies, I hate that you're supposed to make a whole thing out of it with the popcorn. If I like the idea of getting into art, I hate when that whole collector's/investors mentality infects it.

I think that I can boil it down to a simple thing: you hate people. People ruin everything that you like, whether it's hockey, music, art or movies. Does that about sum it up?

I say that tongue in cheek because I'm right there with you on some of it. I don't like concerts, either. Actually, I've never been to one because just the idea of them is such a turn off for me. I've been to several hockey games, but I don't like that experience, either. I'm also not a huge fan of seeing movies in theaters because other people take away from my concentration and I feel trapped (not in a claustrophobic kind of way, but "I'd like to get up to get a drink, but I'd hate to bother the other people in my row, so I'll just not" kind of way). I prefer to enjoy all of those things at home, where I'm comfortable, can pause at any time and others aren't bothering me. So, yeah, I hate people, too.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that I can boil it down to a simple thing: you hate people. People ruin everything that you like, whether it's hockey, music, art or movies. Does that about sum it up?

I say that tongue in cheek because I'm right there with you on some of it. I don't like concerts, either. Actually, I've never been to one because just the idea of them is such a turn off for me. I've been to several hockey games, but I don't like that experience, either. I'm also not a huge fan of seeing movies in theaters because other people take away from my concentration and I feel trapped (not in a claustrophobic kind of way, but "I'd like to get up to get a drink, but I'd hate to bother the other people in my row, so I'll just not" kind of way). I prefer to enjoy all of those things at home, where I'm comfortable, can pause at any time and others aren't bothering me. So, yeah, I hate people, too.
No, I don't think it's that. I equate it more to how if you're a huge food person (which I'm not), you would be annoyed by people who think putting ketchup on everything makes it better. :laugh:

I guess in my mind, any extra layer placed on top of a thing that I care about only serves to cheapen it (unless it's equally valuable I guess, which it never is).

For example, with Hockey Pools, the beauty of the game being played itself is the good part of the experience. Adding a gamble-y stat-tracking game on top of the whole thing in order to add shallow appeal and "make it more interesting" usually just gets in the way of focusing on the primary motivation of watching the game, almost as if to hint that it's not compelling enough to stand on its own. That kind of thing just pisses me off and feels instinctively offensive to me, even when it's all very petty, marginal, and unimportant, and even if I don't have an issue with the thing being added when it's by itself. I'd feel the same even if it were an online hockey pool with no human interaction.

Last edited:

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Like for example, if I like hockey, I hate hockey pools. If I like music, I hate the concert/crowd atmospheres that are supposed to make them better. If I like movies, I hate that you're supposed to make a whole thing out of it with the popcorn. If I like the idea of getting into art, I hate when that whole collector's/investors mentality infects it. They don't complement. They detract from the purist part, which is the part I care about.

Funny you say that. A few years ago I saw Mad Max with some acquaintances that I didn't usually go to movies with.

I noticed that two of them ordered a large popcorn, large pop, nachos AND a chocolate bar each! I was actually a little annoyed by it. I wanted to be like, "You guys know you're not obligated to buy all that, right?" As I sipped my $1.29 McDonalds coffee.

I know it sounds petty, but it seemed to me that they thought there was this unwritten rule that you had to buy $40+ worth of junk food that costs around $3.75 to make in order to enjoy a theater movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad