Your favourite Bench clearing brawls

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
They dont neccessarily have to be bench clearing brawls, but they seem to be the most memorable. But here are some of my personal favourites off the top of my head.

1986 Habs vs. Bruins - It doesnt start out that bad. First off, Chelios and Nilan are on the ice for the Habs and Jay Miller is out for the Bruins. There are a few scuffles and then Nilan goes after Bouttelire which makes Miller go nuts. he has to be restrained by linesman Kevin Collins. Then the dust settles and it appears Nilan is being thrown out of the game. He goes past the Bruins bench which is towards the dressing rooms and who does he pass on the Bruins bench? Ken Linesman! Words are exchanged and Nilan punches him and Linesman spears him and they start fighting down the runaway. Along comes over the Habs bench and my favourite part of that brawl is then Bruins coach Terry O'Reilly holding back I think it was Mike McPhee of the Habs form going into the runaway. O'Reilly looked so intense you knew he wishes he was in there. Geoff Courtnall, Sergio Momesso were all in on the runaway brawl too and you never see Nilan and Linesman after that. A classic.

1980 Isles vs. Bruins - This was in 1980. I dont know if this was a playoff game but I think it was as the Isles had Goring at the time. It starts rather innocently as well, at the end of the period Duane Sutter and Milbury jossle in the corner just as the buzzer goes, Milbury gives him a shot and since the benches are clearing anyways for the end of the perios hell breaks loose. Al Secord whales on an Isles players on the ice near the bench, Stan Jonathan fights Lorimer, Cashman fights Gary Howatt, all four goalies are basically grabbing each other holding on. Cheevers and Smith were two of the goalies, too bad they didnt go at it eh? Then near the end Gary Howatt looks to track down Cashman again and gives him a sucker punch. Howatt regrets doing that as Cash makes him pay! Beauty brawl form two of the toughest teams ever!

1979 Bruins vs. Rangers - You gotta love this one. O'Reilly, Milbury and I cant remember the other ones, go into the crowd at MSG and the highlight is Milbury beating a fan with his shoe. We all know this one, and I never get sick of it.

1997 Avs vs. Red Wings - Believe it or not Larionov starts the fight by tackling Forsberg, then McCarty whales on Lemieux as to which Lemieux turtles. The best part is Roy coming from one end of the ice and Shanahan just basically drop kicking him (with his hands). Love that part. Foote is in on it. Then the goalie fight Roy vs. Vernon and Vernon clearly wins it. Lemieux, Roy and Forsberg are bloodied on the ice and the Wings end up winning that regular season game in OT and then win the Cup.

1987 Canada vs. CSSR - The Piestany punch up as its called. Even Theo Fleury never denied he may have instigated the brawl. But it starts out as just the players on the ice as fighting then the Russians, knowing they were eliminated from the Gold medal and Canada wasnt, empty their bench first (yes they were first) and of course Canada does the same. The refs leave the ice, the lights go off in the building but it takes 5 or 6 minutes before the calm is stored. Hey I dont care that the Russians started the bench clearing brawl, either way it was a classic!

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Ottawa-Philly a few years ago. It wasn't bench clearing but in the last few minutes they kept having a faceoff then everyone on the ice would fight, then there would be another faceof and all those players would fight at the drop of the puck. This repeated several times.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1981 - North Stars at Bruins -- Combined for 84 penalties and the North Stars set (at the time) a record for one team with 211 minutes in penalties. I went to the game. :)

December 29, 1972 -- Flyers at Vancouver. Bob Kelly and Jim Hargreaves were exchanging fisticuffs and then Don Saleski and Barry Wilcox tangoed along the boards when a fan/dentist reached over the glass and pulled (writer Jay Greenberg described it as "attempted to extract Saleski's hair without anesthesia") on Saleski's hair. Seeing this, Barry Ashbee and Bobby Taylor (backup goalie) got involved while Moose Dupont, Cowboy Bill Flett and Ed Van Impe went into the stands.

Flyers at Toronto 1976 playoffs -- In Game 3 in Toronto, an anti-hockey violence attorney general, who earlier went after Brian Glennie (Leafs) and Dan Maloney (Detroit), brought charges against Don Saleski, Mel Bridgman and Joe Watson for a battle that went into the stands after a fan threw a chunk of ice at Saleski. In Game 6 in Toronto, a 65-year old fan elbowed Dave Schultz after a Schultz-Tiger Williams fight. While Schultz was restrained, Kelly threw his glove into the stands and hit an usherette in the face. Kelly and the 65-year old fan were both charged with assault.

Flyers at Vancouver February 22, 1980 -- 307 minutes of penalties including Flyers coach Pat Quinn who was suspended three games (some players were suspended, too), for allowing a bench clearing fight. It was hours after the US beat the Soviets in the 1980 Olympics.

Flyers-Rangers October 1984 -- A preseason game resulted in a bench clearing brawl as Glen Hanlon and Pelle Lindbergh exchanged pleasantries.

October 12, 1977 -- Preseason game -- Paul Holmgren, who suffered an eye injury in an earlier game, and Wayne Cashman of Boston were eventually ejected and then continued their battle in the dressing room area of the Spectrum. Both teams went into the corridor as the battle ensued. Later in the game, there was another brawl and 16 game misconducts were called.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The Phantoms and argh, I think it was Binghampton.... cuz I remember a fight between Emery and someone...

close but no cigar would be game 3? of the Manitoba Syracuse series, 307 minutes in penalties.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Definitely the 1987 Canada-U.S.S.R. brawl. Many long-time WJC fans point to that as the launching pad for the tournament's fanatical popularity in this country. One of the most notorious moments in the greatest rivalry in international hockey history. Yes, there are other key moments in the WJC developing its Canadian following (the thrilling finish to the 1991 tournament in Saskatoon and Canada's perfect record at the 1995 tournament in Red Deer, during the lockout). It's ironic that an event that was a black eye for the game turned out to be one of the turning points for international hockey in Canada.

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Never saw it, but read a very detailed description about the Good Friday brawl between the Habs and Nords. Dale Hunter fighting brother Mark. Nice!!!

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
The Good Friday Massacre was a great brawl, and one of the few times you saw both Robinson and Lafleur drop the gloves.

Montreal-Philly had a pregame brawl in 1987,after either Corson or Lemieux shot the puck into Philly's empty net.It was very dumb fight.

In either '69 or '70, I saw Toronto play an afternoon tilt in Boston, and it was surreal.Quinn flattens Orr, Dorey and Pie face Mackenzie go at it, and the game was downhill after that.The Boston box had 7-8 players in it a time, and then what would a Bruins brawl be without Cashman or Sanderson going into the crowd to smack their own fans?

The other memorable game was Leafs vs philly in '76.Salming was Bridgman's punching bag, and the Flyers were totally gooning it up that series.They were beyond being tough, and were more like street punks, and how could anyone ever forget Bobby Clarke's immortal performance captured live on HNIC..."Hey Hood,you ***,you f***ing c***sucker". :amazed:

JWINK19

southern Devils fan
Dec 31, 2005
Wilmington, NC
Hood worked the Good Friday game. It was his book where I read the account. The second part (at the start of the third period) only happened because the dumb*** off-ice officials never bothered to tell the players who got game misconducts in part one that they were tossed. Nilan was one of those guys and he set off the whole explosion for part two.

Fravashis

Jul 9, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
03/04 season, Thrashers vs. Oilers

Dont think it was bench clearing though I think some players did leave the bench; anywho everyone on the ice found a partner.

There was also the hilarious Nurminen vs Conklin where Nurminen got his face used as a punching bag.

The Thrashers had at least 3 or 4 games like that in the 03/04 year. Werent a really happy bunch ...

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Niftyone said:
I don't remember the year, but the North Stars and Bruins had a hell of bench clearer back in the early 80's in the old Garden.

This brawl was in some respects a response to a previous game where John Wensink had made a grandstanding show out of challenging the whole Minnesota bench.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
MooseHunter said:
The Phantoms and argh, I think it was Binghampton.... cuz I remember a fight between Emery and someone...

close but no cigar would be game 3? of the Manitoba Syracuse series, 307 minutes in penalties.
I remember that one. I can still see Neil Little diving over a group of players to join the action. The Phantoms actually had clips of it on their website for about a day before they were taken down, I assume by league demand.

MacDaddy TLC*

JWINK19 said:
Hood worked the Good Friday game. It was his book where I read the account. The second part (at the start of the third period) only happened because the dumb*** off-ice officials never bothered to tell the players who got game misconducts in part one that they were tossed. Nilan was one of those guys and he set off the whole explosion for part two.

Nilan set off the first part. The second part was ignited mainly by Mark Hunter who was hunting down Louis Sleigher. Actually most of the Canadiens were in on trying to corner Sleigher who sucker punched Jean Hamel causing him to shatter his leg when he fell. (Dumb *** Mario Tremblay could have helped Hamel but just watched dumbfoundly as he collapsed beside him)

The video is on you tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdQrQtqQqAA&search=Quebec%20Nordiques

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
The worst part of the video clip was enduring Bob Cole's handwringing.Oh, the horrors! Mickey Redmond had that 'tut-tutting' down so well. :shakehead

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Hockey fights are basically stupid (I mean, they just LOOK stupid to me; I´d much rather watch some quality boxing instead), but quite funny was the brawl in the ´85 World Championships in Prague between USA and the Soviet Union during the "bronze medal game". I don´t quite remember what caused it, but somehow ( ;) ) I suspect that it happened because the Soviets were killing the Americans in the game itself and they just had to beat the Russians at something. And actually, if my memory serves me right, they were much better with their fists... yipee...

You know, Krutov the boxer wasn´t quite as impressive as Krutov the hockey player :)

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
The 1987 Montreal-Philly conference final brawl. It took place after the warmup, so there were no refs.

Chris Nilan, John Kordic, Dave Brown, Rick Tocchet, Don Nachbaur, Darryl Stanley, et al.

I still remember Doug Crossman out there in his flip flops.

MacDaddy TLC*

Pantokrator said:
The 1987 Montreal-Philly conference final brawl. It took place after the warmup, so there were no refs.

Chris Nilan, John Kordic, Dave Brown, Rick Tocchet, Don Nachbaur, Darryl Stanley, et al.

I still remember Doug Crossman out there in his flip flops.

I think it was Chico Resch and Ed Hospodar that started that brawl. The Habs player had the habit of shooting the puck into the empty net at the end of warm up. Resch and Hospodar set out to stop him. When he did end up shooting it in the net all hell broke loose.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Loose Cannon said:
I think it was Chico Resch and Ed Hospodar that started that brawl. The Habs player had the habit of shooting the puck into the empty net at the end of warm up. Resch and Hospodar set out to stop him. When he did end up shooting it in the net all hell broke loose.

The brawl took place prior to the 6th and last game of the series but it was something that began earlier in the series. Before Game 3, in Montreal, Hospodar was waiting for Lemieux to do his pregame ritual of shooting the puck into the opponent's net. Hospodar intercepted the shot and fired it down in the Canadiens' net. The next game, also in Montreal, Resch turned the Flyers' goal around, backside facing the inevitable oncoming shot by Lemieux. The two Flyers then turned the net around prior to Game 5 in Philly. In Game 6, back in Montreal, Hospodar and Resch again teamed up for some jock-ularity but Lemieux was a no-show so the Flyers' dastardly duo departed. Then Corson and Lemieux appeared with a puck and, seeing this, out came Resch and Hospodar; Hospodar and Lemieux became dancing partners and then the lockerrooms were alerted by someone and out popped Crossman in his slippers while other battles included Brown vs. Nilan; Nachbaur vs. Robinson and Stanley vs. Kordic. What I remember about the game was Larry Robinson scoring with less than 5 seconds left in the first period giving Montreal a lead and an emotional boost heading into the first intermission. One of those "never give up a goal in the final minute" moments. But the Flyers won the game and ironically the road team won the last five games of the series.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad