Your favourite all-time play by play calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Here's a list of some memorable play by play calls that I can remember off the top of my head. I remember these ones because of the drama in the games or just because the commentator made a really good or exciting call. You might know some of these just by hearing them.

"Here's Lemieux poking it to centre, Lemieux ahead to Gretzky, has Murphy with him on a two on one to Lemieux in on goal he shoots he SCORES! Lemieux, with 1:26 remaining.!" - Dan Kelly calling game three of the '87 Canada Cup Can/Rus

"Granato has it, here's Granato Ooooh Richardson nailed him, and he's still down!" - Bob Cole reacting to a hit Tony Granato received form Luke Richardson in the late 80s. You might remember this one as the one where Granato slides all the way to the end boards form the blue line.

"Brunet carries it in rolls a pass out in front of the net a shot! Desjardins following the play and he missed it on the short side but now he has it again. Scores! Desjardins and the Canadiens win the game in Overtime, his third goal of the game!" - Bob Cole in OT in game 2 of the '93 Cup finals, in which Montreal wins.

And here's my all time favourite. I can listen - and watch - this piece of artwork anyday of the week.

"Here's Lemieux, to centre penalty coming up, LOOK AT LEMIEUX, OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT A GOAL! WHAT A MOVE! LEMIEUX, OOOH BABY!" - Bob Cole during the '91 Cup finals reacting to Lemieux's goal against the Northstars. Lemieux's goal is still one of the prettiest I've ever seen. Effortless too. Cole wasnt as senile back then and remembered players names, and he seemed like he was right into the game with that call. Pure instinct. I love it.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Here's Lafleur...coming out rather gingerly on that right side. Ahead to Lemaire...back to Lafleur....he scores!!!!

Danny Gallivan 1979

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Big Phil said:
"Granato has it, here's Granato Ooooh Richardson nailed him, and he's still down!" - Bob Cole reacting to a hit Tony Granato received form Luke Richardson in the late 80s. You might remember this one as the one where Granato slides all the way to the end boards form the blue line.

That was always one of my favourites.

I love the way Granto and Ooooh flowed together. :biglaugh:

Spooky371*

'' Koivu gagne la mise au jeu, Kovalev s'empare de la rondelle, contourne le filet, tir, arrêt de Raycroft, Zednik prend le retour TIR ET COMPTEEEEEEEEE ! RIIICHARRRRRRRRD ZEDNIK MARQUE ET C'EST 1 À 0 LE CANADIEN AVEC 3 MINUTES A FAIRE ! ''

Game #7 between Bruins and Habs, playoff 04'

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
My favourite call was on the radio in `92 here in Ottawa. When the Senators were granted a franchise, several accomplished broadcasters applied to be the teams play-by-play man, but instead the job was given to the unqualified Dean Brown who had done CFL football games for the same station. Anyways, in the first ever Ottawa Senator pre-season when they scored their first ever goal, he yelled "TOUCHDOWN!".

cjbhab*

" The Canadiens win the stanley Cup!!!" .. my favourite quote from the 1993 cup final.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I have that game taped. I liked that one because I was a Habs fan and once the Pens were upset I knew the cup for up for grabs. Usually which ever team has a hot goalie at the time.

I also have the Dale Hunter hit on Turgeon game. Remember that one. I use to just set my VCR back then and let it tape. Fortunately, some games I never erased.

Little Wing

Jul 17, 2004
Desert-ed
1995-96 season-radio call from the denver local feed of uwe krupp's triple overtime game four stanley cup winning goal against florida

"Hey Colorado fans, How good does it feel"

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Big Phil said:
"Here's Lemieux, to centre penalty coming up, LOOK AT LEMIEUX, OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT A GOAL! WHAT A MOVE! LEMIEUX, OOOH BABY!" - Bob Cole during the '91 Cup finals reacting to Lemieux's goal against the Northstars. Lemieux's goal is still one of the prettiest I've ever seen. Effortless too. Cole wasnt as senile back then and remembered players names, and he seemed like he was right into the game with that call. Pure instinct. I love it.
If it was today's Bob Cole, it would have been like this: LOOK AT THE PENGUIN, OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT A GOAL! WHAT A MOVE! THAT PENGUIN, OOOH BABY!"

Joe Bowen's call from the 2004 playoffs was pretty good: OH, TUCKER JUST ABOUT KILLED SAMI KAPANEN. KAPANEN TRYING TO GET THE BENCH HE CAN'T. HE DOESN'T KNOW WHERE HE IS. SHOT, OVERTOP OF THE GOAL.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
Either:

"Fetisov for the Devils plays it cross-ice, into the far corner. Matteau swoops in to intercept. Matteau around the net, swings it in front, HE SCORES! MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU! STEPHANE MATTEAU! And the Rangers have one more hill to climb, baby, and it's Mount Vancouver! The Rangers are headed to the finals."

- Howie Rose

or

"The waiting is over, the New York Rangers are the Stanley Cup Champions and this one will last a lifetime! No more curses, this is unbelievable!"

Sam Rosen and J.D.

Honourable Mention:

"Oh, call your heart Doctor! Pavel Bure getting set, everybody is on their feet at Pacific Colisseum. Here comes Bure against Mike Richter............... SAVE BY RICHTER!!!!"

-J.D. and Sam Rosen

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Gene Hart's call of Bobby Clarke's Game 2 1974 Finals overtime game winner. It is the most frenzied call I have ever heard.

roryb

Jul 20, 2005
Best ever:

"Cornoyer made a wild stab for it and fell. He's another shot, right front, SCORES, HENDERSON"

Habsruleen

Jul 28, 2005
Andre Cote: Voici une attaque dangereuse du Canada: Gretzky, avec Lemieux, un seul defenseur Smirnov...Gretzky, a Lemieux...ET COMPTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(2 minute pause)

Claude Bedard: Les deux font la paire...

(another minute, too much freaking out, teepee falling to the ice)

September 1987.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
There are a lot of great less-obvious calls.

E.g. Trevor Linden scoring an unreal goal (splitting the D) against the Flames in the '89 playoffs. Even though I was (and am) a Flames fan the call sent shivers up my spine.

Cole: Linden trying to breakthrough. HE. IS. IN. SCORES! Trevor Linden with a perfect goal.

The "He Is In" is what made the call great - perfect cadence and emotion. When Cole was in his prime he was unmatched for anticipating when something special was going to happen. I miss the old Cole.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
reckoning said:
My favourite call was on the radio in `92 here in Ottawa. When the Senators were granted a franchise, several accomplished broadcasters applied to be the teams play-by-play man, but instead the job was given to the unqualified Dean Brown who had done CFL football games for the same station. Anyways, in the first ever Ottawa Senator pre-season when they scored their first ever goal, he yelled "TOUCHDOWN!".
Should have stuck to football.

Oil_slick9416*

"it is over! Canada WORLD CHAMPIONS (insert year/tournament here)"

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I can't remember the play by play but these 2 incidents would really be interesting to hear the play by play again.

The World Junior fight between Canada and Russia in about 87 whne they shut the arena lights.

And the Bruins-Oilers 1990 game when the power went out.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
roryb said:
Best ever:

"Cornoyer made a wild stab for it and fell. He's another shot, right front, SCORES, HENDERSON"

Close :). I can't believe we got this far down the list before this call was mentioned! What is wrong with you people?! :)

http://www.hhof.com/media/foster8.wav

"Here's a shot! Henderson made a wild stab for it and fell. Here's another shot, right in front. They score!! Henderson has scored for Canada!!!"

-Foster Hewitt

Best call ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad