Your favorite skate socks?

VOldis

Jun 8, 2011
Hey guys, starting playing again after a many year hiatus. Picked up a blister on my right heel so I grabbed some Bauer core performance skate socks and after a single night they tore. I emailed Bauer customer support to see if they would do, since this should not happen, but in the meantime I need a new sock to order.

Any recommendations? Would like to try a different company this time around. I have size 12 skates.

*edit Awesome bauer customer service sending me a new pair :)

**Received a pair of PREMIUM performance socks. Good Guy Bauer!

Last edited:

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Reebok 20Ks, FTW. Light, thinnish, and slice resistant. If they weren't $30/pair I'd have 10 pairs. I'll make due with my 3.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I use various soccer socks. Like to have that extra layer under my shins, makes them feel less dirty.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
Bare feet is the way to go. Honestly... Once I tried it I can't go back to using socks when I skate.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
OP you're making me think your skates could be too big and there is movement causing friction? Either way it must be a fit issue because it takes a lot to burn a hole in a sock like that. The problem is your blistering and some searches or giving more detail could help find a solution.

The wear you're showing doen't appear to be the heel, but more the ankle or top of the foot. Are you wearing Supremes? For some reason I had the most terrible pain and blister next to may inner ankle from the Supreme, couldn't skate it them.

I was surprised to learn this Summer that a lot of guys on our local OHL team have all types of foam and gel pads glued onto hot spots in their skates, and these are on custom made skates! So even the pros (or junior pros) might have to modify their equipment for comfort. I think someone posted that Crosby uses some type of Stable socks with a gel around the ankle.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I figured as a total noob I'd end up with blisters, but my skates fit me right and I have no problems.

I go barefoot when I wear my jock pants. When I wear my loose shorts, I use cheapo soccer socks. They double as a thin layer between my sweaty legs and my shin guards, which helps keep things clean. I have a ton from my crappy indoor team (0-52 lifetime record)-- they run about $8/pr.

VOldis

Jun 8, 2011
OP you're making me think your skates could be too big and there is movement causing friction? Either way it must be a fit issue because it takes a lot to burn a hole in a sock like that. The problem is your blistering and some searches or giving more detail could help find a solution.

My skates are probably a half size too small actually, and if I tie them too tight I get an uncomfortable throb like pain on the outside of my foot.

I am wearing Supreme 5000s.

Anyways, Bauer customer support is awesome, they are sending me a new pair :)

I still might pick up a pair of these: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hockey-sock-twaron-protective.html

I really like the idea of having cut proof socks. Though I am not sure if they get overly hot?

VOldis

Jun 8, 2011

My skates are probably a half size too small actually, and if I tie them too tight I get an uncomfortable throb like pain on the outside of my foot.

I am wearing Supreme 5000s.

Anyways, Bauer customer support is awesome, they are sending me a new pair :)

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Hey guys, starting playing again after a many year hiatus. Picked up a blister on my right heel so I grabbed some Bauer core performance skate socks and after a single night they tore. I emailed Bauer customer support to see if they would do, since this should not happen, but in the meantime I need a new sock to order.

Any recommendations? Would like to try a different company this time around. I have size 12 skates.

http://i.imgur.com/KAp0AMC.jpg

*edit Awesome bauer customer service sending me a new pair :)

Those are the exact socks I wear and I think they are great. They are very thin and very strong. You must be Hercules or something because they seem to hold up better to washes than normal socks...

I would go barefoot but my equipment is not sponsored, so I would like to prolong the life of expensive skates.

And yes, Bauer does have good customer support IMO, however they charge enough for everything so I do expect it.

Last edited:

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Reebok 14k socks are cheap and hold up really well...I prefer thin non fuzzy socks...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad