Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
canes-win-cup.jpg

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
2. Hull's toe in the crease. Unbelievable how the league would disregard a rule it had enforced all year.

Unbelievable how so many people intentionally disregard what the rule was, and how goals like it were allowed to stand.

I wish I had a copy of a Coach's Corner from the following season where Cherry shows a clip from a game from the same season where a goal was scored under the exact same circumstances as Hull's and stood.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Unbelievable how so many people intentionally disregard what the rule was, and how goals like it were allowed to stand.

I wish I had a copy of a Coach's Corner from the following season where Cherry shows a clip from a game from the same season where a goal was scored under the exact same circumstances as Hull's and stood.

And forget the memo that was sent to all officials in March regarding interpretation of the rule

-"An attacking player maintains control of the puck but skates into the crease before the puck enters the crease and shoots the puck into the net. Result: Goal is allowed. The offside-rule rationale applies." (A player actually controlling the puck who crosses the line ahead of the puck is not considered off-side.)

-"Attacking player takes a shot on net and after doing so, skates into the crease. The initial shot deflects outside the crease. The original player, still in the crease, recovers the puck, which is now outside the crease, and scores. Result: Goal is disallowed. The player did not maintain control of the puck."

mikee*

Anyone who watched hockey that year saw goals under those circumstances that were disallowed. My wording was more hyperbole than anything, what would have been more accurate to say was that it was a confusing rule that had been inconsistently applied throughout the season, and the allowance in that particular case seemed rather arbitrary in comparison.

Regardless, it was a stupid rule that never should have been on the books in the first place, and the fact that it caused any controversy at all in what should have been the leagues biggest moment was disappointing and memorable at the same time. The NFL has had some high profile instances of this in the last decade as well.

mikee*

And forget the memo that was sent to all officials in March regarding interpretation of the rule

I think the fact that they had to send out a memo to clarify the rule speaks for itself. It was an overly complicated rule, that was difficult to apply (even with replay in some circumstances) that lead to a lot of confusion, not just for fans (who don't receive league memos), but also coaches and players (plenty of whom were also confused about it). The rule itself is really not something I want to argue about though, especially in a thread about memorable playoff moments. The goal and circumstances around it were clearly memorable which is why people still want to discuss it over a decade later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad