Your favorite playoff moments

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
With the playoffs just around the corner, what are your favorite playoff moments? Not necessarily the best in history, but your personal favorites. Maybe your favorite team winning a series, the first playoff game you attended or a marathon OT game you stayed up late for.

For me as an Oilers fan, I will always fondly remember Pisani's shorthanded OT goal in game 5 of the 2006 SCF. From Staois taking a penalty and giving Carolina a pp in a Cup clinching game to the thrill of going back home for game 6. What a moment!

Another recent one was game 7 Leafs vs Bruins in 2013. When Boston made it 4-3 I couldn't stop thinking "no way, no way...". Looking back on that game it really seems like a Shakespearean tragedy given the previous years of failure Leafs fans had to endure.

Lastly, I'll go with Canucks vs Stars game 1 2007. The game went to 4 OT's and my parents let me stay up for the whole game on a school night (I was 12 at the time). I really enjoy those long games in the playoffs and that one stands out.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Beating the President's Trophy winner Sharks in '09

Sweeping Detroit in '03

Selanne's game 5 OT winner vs Detroit in '07

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
shh.jpg

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
So many great playoff moments. Aside from my team winning a big game, one of the most memorable was the Good Friday Massacre. Habs and Nords. Those series use to be epic but that night was more memorable than most.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Nabokov's save on Richards in the 08 playoffs in OT is the greatest hockey play I have ever seen live. Literally took my breath away couldn't believe it. Richards shot at least a 90 mph shot from 8 ft out and got robbed

Kirikanoir

Dec 16, 2010
Geoff Courtnall Game 5 OT winner
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=115651

Trevor Linden Game 6 OT winner

The Save

Brown ahead for Bure.

The 1st Round series vs Calgary in 1994.

That series against Calgary had it all. Redemption after a disappointing regular season. Coming from behind after falling behind 1-3 to a bitter division rival. The three straight OT wins. Geoff Courtnall and Trevor Lindens OT goals getting them to Game 7. The Save, Kirk McLean robs Robert Reichel to keep the dream alive in the first OT period.Then the pivotal moment that everyone remembers from the second OT period Pavel Bure magic.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
As a Hawks fan, most have pretty recent.

17 Seconds and Kanes OT winner in Philly.

I'll give an honorable mention to Roenick scoring the game winner in ot of game 4 in 94 at the old stadium against the Leafs. I was 13 and it was only the 2nd Hawks game I'd ever been too. Ive never heard a building as loud as that. Made me a Hawks fan for life.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Yes that was the nhl equivalent of bird and magic. The rivalry isn't as big as it once was but indeed I hope one day again
I still wonder what would have happened if the Capitals had pulled the trigger on a Pronger trade that offseason. GMGM squandered many an opportunity to put his core over the top, preferring to churn through trash like Arnott, Corvo and Belanger, and Ovy is a "choker" for it.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
When the Pens had to play a game 7 versus the Caps one year i got some nerves, only to see them slaughter them. I guess it was the mentioned series with the 87/8 dual hat tricks.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
1960 Stanley Cup Final. Third game, Montreal vs Toronto. I was at the game and got to see Maurice "Rocket" Richard score what turned out to be the last goal of his career.

mikee*

As a Hawks fan, surprisingly several of my most memorable playoff memories involve Hawks losses:

1. Kane's OT winner, and the confusion that followed, to end the Hawks' long Cup drought will probably remain my favorite hockey memory.
2. Attending my first SCF game in 2013 against the Bruins, even though the Hawks lost, is up there too.
3. Two goals in 17 seconds to secure the cup against the Bruins.
4. Kane's Hatty against Vancouver. Really every win against Vancouver in those days was amazing. And even the series in 2011 when the 8th seed Hawks came back from down 3-0 to tie the series and then send game 7 to OT. A lot of fond memories in that series since the Hawks had no business competing against them that year.
5. The 91-92 team that lost to the Pens in the finals. That team won the last three games of the first round and then swept the Wings and Oilers to ride an 11 game winning streak into the Finals. Watching those games is when I fell in love with hockey.
6. Last year's WCF against LA. The Kings won, but those were amazing back and forth games against the two best teams in the league. Very exciting to watch as a hockey fan.

Non-Hawks favorites:
1. 94 playoffs as a whole were super exciting, and a handful of former Hawks won the Cup with the Rangers, including Matteau! Matteau! Matteau! Leafs-Canucks was a wide open series. Plus Larionov, Makarov and Irbe knocking off the Wings in the first round made me smile.
2. Hull's toe in the crease. Unbelievable how the league would disregard a rule it had enforced all year.
3. Fleury's toe save
4. Canes-Oilers in 06 simply because hockey was back (without the clutch and grab) and there was a SC winner again.
5. Vladimir Konstantinov on the ice with the Wings after the won in 98 was pretty cool.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Recent history?

- Rangers sweeping the Thrashers in 2007 to FINALLY win a playoff series after ten years
- Rangers beating the Devils in game 5 in 2008
- Brad Richards + Marc Staal, 2012 game 5 against WSH
- Lundqvist's out-of-this-world performance against Pittsburgh in game 7, 2014
- Lundqvist's save on Vanek in game 6
- Stepan's goal-line heroics in game 4 of the finals.

Copmuter*

Nabokov's save on Richards in the 08 playoffs in OT is the greatest hockey play I have ever seen live. Literally took my breath away couldn't believe it. Richards shot at least a 90 mph shot from 8 ft out and got robbed

Looks like the puck was on end and Richards hit a hard floater...

Didn't look close to 90 mph though

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
1960 Stanley Cup Final. Third game, Montreal vs Toronto. I was at the game and got to see Maurice "Rocket" Richard score what turned out to be the last goal of his career.

Ya, and what a team. They swept Chicago in 4 games, Toronto in the Finals in 4 as well. Nothin like going out on top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad