Your favorite induvidual play?

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I was thinking about this earlier in another thread and thought it was interesting enough to make it a separate discussion. What is everyone's single favorite hockey sequence? I realize this is somewhat difficult to define, but lets just say one continuous period of hockey uninterrupted by a whistle, the length is up to you. For the sake of objectivity I'm going to eliminate all plays involving my favorite team (rangers), so no Matteau.

I'm only 23, so my scope of knowledge is far smaller than most on this board, but the most impressive single play I've ever seen was the game winner of the 06 Olympic final (just for the record, I am neither Finnish nor Swedish.) Everything about it was overpowering: Not only did Mats Sundin win the face off, he actually snapped Saku Koivu's stick in half, taking him out of the play. Peter Forsberg took the puck quickly into the offensive zone up to the left circle and then dropped the puck right back to Sundin who in turn dropped it to Nicklas Lidstrom, seting up one of the most impressive slappers I've witnessed. Few unscreened shots from the blueline are legitimately unstoppable these days, but this one was. Lidstrom one timed it, put everything he had into it, and placed it as far into the top right corner as you can without actually embedding the puck in the post. Nitty never had a chance. And I like the symbolism of the play that one the Swedes the gold being made by the three greatest Swedish players of their generation, and arguably all time.

Anyway, I doubt that this qualifies as original thought, as I'm sure much of what I just wrote was said two years ago after it happened, but that's my favorite play. What's yours?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Bure: Jumping goal vs Islanders in 1996

Peter Forsberg: SO goal 1994 Olympics

Pavel Datsyuk: Crazy toe-drag/bow-legged-pidgeon-toed freak move vs Turco

Scott Niedermayer: Coast to Coast vs Detroit, game 2 1995 SCF

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Nice thread. Thats one of my fav moments aswell:) Slightly biased since im swede but still ;>

But my alltime favoritemoment in hockey gotta be in the 2003 hockey worldchampionships, Quarter finals between Sweden and Finland.
Finland got 5-1 against sweden some time into second period so me and my friends who thinks the game is over decide to go rent a movie instead when we get back its 5-4 and forsbergs scores a real beauty and in late third PJ Axelsson scores the winner.. Amazing. Too bad we lost the finals vs Canada on a bad call ;)

Sweden - Finland

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Nice thread. Thats one of my fav moments aswell:) Slightly biased since im swede but still ;>

But my alltime favoritemoment in hockey gotta be in the 2003 hockey worldchampionships, Quarter finals between Sweden and Finland.
Finland got 5-1 against sweden some time into second period so me and my friends who thinks the game is over decide to go rent a movie instead when we get back its 5-4 and forsbergs scores a real beauty and in late third PJ Axelsson scores the winner.. Amazing. Too bad we lost the finals vs Canada on a bad call ;)

Sweden - Finland
Definitely one of the most exciting moments in swedish hockey history. Forsberg's goal is fantastic, and look at that roster in the WHC!

However I'd probably have Forsberg's deciding penalty shot in the 94 olympics finals over it. I like the interview that took place after he scored, a swedish journalist asked the then 20-year old Peter Forsberg; "Why did you decide to do that?". He replies: "I don't know, I have such a bad shot that I had to do something special." It takes guts to pull off that move in a shootout in the olympic finals at that age. Impressive!

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Selanne's record breaking goal scored on Stephane Fiset on the Nordiques:nod:

A breakaway pass from Domi that both he and Fiset were racing to. Selanne reaches out and chips the puck past a sprawling Fiset for goal #54 on the year.

And that celebration afterwards!!! One of the greatest individual accomplishments in WINNIPEG JETS hockey history. Selanne had that old Winnipeg arena rocking:yo:

Anyone got a video clip of that moment in hockey history? It would be sweet to see on here.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
Just start at the 1:30 mark and let it run. Two of Cam Neely's greatest goals....

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Denis Savard scoring a beauty in the late '80s against the Oilers. Shorthanded too.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Rick Nash's pantsing of Derek Morris and Keith Ballard with 20 seconds left to win the game.

Kirk McLean's double-stacked-pads save.

Nikolai Zherdev's end to end rush to tie the game with 15 seconds left.

Matt Cooke's goal with 5.7 seconds left in game 7 to tie 2-2 with Calgary.

Trevor Linden's hit on Jeff Norton / Pavel Bure's elbow on Shayne Churla.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
2 plays i really like are big hits that lead to goals.

'97 finals, game 3, konstantinov crushes hawerchuk at the red line, philadelphia scrambles around trying to get revenge on konstantinov, letting detroit control the play. 3 on 2, then shanahan scores from behind the net off hextall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOcVGXreaw

a similar play in '06, stoll gets a suicide pass, markov knocks him onto his head in the neutral zone, datsyuk gets the puck, dekes through tjarnqvist and then past roloson and scores.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoX_nlYKg8

they combine the most entertaining parts of hockey: hitting, skill and scoring.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
how about Gretzky's spin-o-ramma baseball-swing goal from 20 feet out (with the Kings).

Gil Parreault playing keep-away. Larry Robinson's coast-to-coast.

dcinroc

Jun 24, 2008
Taipei, Taiwan
I'll go with Guy Lafleur against Hartford in the season before his 1st retirement (if I recall correctly).

Guy had the puck crossing the center line while the rest of the Habs were making a line change. He was 1 on 2 against the Hartford D. Instead of dumping and going for a change (which I am sure everyone expected), Guy flipped the puck behind his back between the two D then literally jumped around the left D to pick up the loose puck as it crossed the Hartford blueline. Then he raced in on a breakaway and scored.

The only time I have ever seen a player make a breakaway pass to himself.:handclap:

LAX attack*

I am kinda new to hockey, so here goes nothing

Kopitar gets the puck from Frolov and shovels a backhand past Marty Turco to cap off the 6-5 comeback win against Dallas

Zetterberg's spin in mid air backhand goal against Colorado in game 4 of the 2008 Stanley Cup Finals

In a game against the Avs, the Kings are down 4-5 with like 5 seconds left to go. With an empty net, the Kings take a faceoff in the Colorado zone, and the puck goes to Blake, who kicks it off Budaj and than taps it in, to tie the game

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ROeVF5VTUEk

Basically anything from that clip will work, especially the plays at 3:08 and 3:25. Zubov's blind spin-and-pass to Modano for the game-winning goal in Stars / Sharks game 2 this year is the most recent one that comes to mind. Homeboy is welcome to play on my rec league team any time ...

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Go to 7:55 of this video (a great tribute video to watch in its entirety, too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC8oVKyfosA

Then go to go to 1:34 of this video (this video is sick in it's entirety):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHJs3VqUpuU'

The game's two best goal scorers of the modern age, Mike Bossy and Mario Lemieux, producing world-class goals at the height of competition, in the '82 Stanley Cup Finals and '92 Eastern Conference Finals, respectively.

Bossy's goal (watch it a couple of times) literally defies gravity. And Mario makes one of the greatest dmen ever (Ray Bourque) look positively silly on his goal.

Two goals that I witnessed live and will never forget my entire life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad