Your favorite and least favorite refs of all time

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Just curious as to who you would place in each category and why. I don't know enough to make a judgment but Andy Van Hellemond seemed to be pretty decent from the older footage I have seen.

(Guessing a lot of Leafs fans won't like Kerry Fraser)

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Bill Mccreary officiated some of the most important games in hockey history. 1991 Canada Cup, 1996 World Cup, the 1998 and 2010 Olympics, the gold medal game for the 2002 Olympics and countless other tournaments and games. I always liked him and thought he was steady/consistent/fair.

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Bill Mccreary officiated some of the most important games in hockey history. 1991 Canada Cup, 1996 World Cup, the 1998 and 2010 Olympics, the gold medal game for the 2002 Olympics and countless other tournaments and games. I always liked him and thought he was steady/consistent/fair.
The Czech commentators in the 98 finals definitely didn't think so lol.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Terry Gregson always seemed to have a scowl on his face, and his body language made it seem like he wanted everyone to know that he's the big boy on campus. It always rubbed me the wrong way.

That Lee guy is also extremely bad. Unfortunately, he's seen as one of the best in the business which shows the state of officiating today.

Gregson is like a Wayne Gretzky of officials compared to some of the guys today.

Reactions: Bench Clearer

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Always thought Bruce Hood did a solid job
It's kind of sad that his career ended the way it did. He didn't technically get fired but it is widely believed that the league basically talked him into early retirement after the infamous Good Friday brawl.

I still find it hilarious that the Montreal Forum PA announcer was still reading off penalties from the end of the second period while all the mayhem was taking place before the start of the third period. :laugh:

Reactions: RegDunlop

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
All-time favorite was Butch Mousseau:

I miss that dude every time I step on the ice (most recently, yesterday) - famous in the Denver area as one of the few who trusted the goalies enough to ask us if we thought a puck went over the line (and I was always honest with him about it even to our detriment). Even in the pro leagues, he was expert at simmering hostilities between opponents.

Always wanted to know what you were up to off the ice, shared stories, knew about everyone's families. Officiated beer league in between WCHA games because he genuinely loved it.

With that said, my favorite Butch memory was at Chris Dingman's first Burgundy/White scrimmage with the Avalanche - and Dingman was intent on fighting the incumbent sheriff, Scott Parker. Butch was responsible for separating the two after they'd gone at it a bit, but neither one wanted to stop.

Miss you, Butch. :(

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
It's kind of sad that his career ended the way it did. He didn't technically get fired but it is widely believed that the league basically talked him into early retirement after the infamous Good Friday brawl.

I still find it hilarious that the Montreal Forum PA announcer was still reading off penalties from the end of the second period while all the mayhem was taking place before the start of the third period. :laugh:

I'll give another vote for Bruce Hood being the best I ever saw. Hood basically got scapegoated after the good Friday Massacre due to the actions of the Nords arch-scumbag owner Marcel Aubut. I can't remember if Aubut actually invaded the Ref's locker room or just stopped Hood in the hallway, but either way Aubut went on a wild harangue, screaming in Hood's face about how he had reffed the game to that point, thus preventing Hood from making it to the scorer's table or informing the teams of the players that he was ejecting from the game after the 1st period. Louis Sleigher, he of the sucker punch that knocked out Jean Hamel, was thus allowed back on the ice and all hell broke loose and why announcer Claude Mouton was still reading off penalties when it did so. No way weak-kneed Commissioner John Ziegler was going to hold an owner accountable, so Hood took the fall.

I'd also agree with Bill McCreary being a fine ref. Also liked Bryan Lewis. Koharski was alright too. He'd tend to let a lot of things go, but at least it was generally a fair trade-off in looking the other way.

Couldn't stand: Art Skov (Ed Snider had to have him over a barrel somehow :rolleyes:;)), Dave Newell (always seemed to be losing control of big games), Kerry Fraser (what a prima donna) and Van Hellemond (degenerate gambler who's calls in retrospect just cannot be trusted).

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
(Guessing a lot of Leafs fans won't like Kerry Fraser)
Most (not all) leaf fans I've interacted with online dont like any refs because they actually believe there is a league-wide conspiracy against them, and every ref is trying to throw every game against them.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
stephane auger got what was coming to him. i only wish him being phased out was more public.

the first ref i ever engaged in a public profanity chant about was andy van hellemond. i have no memory of what he call he did or didn’t make, but i was nine years old at the old pacific coliseum and was one of ten thousand ppl yelling bullspit bullspit.

the best part is pro set handed every person an andy van hellemond hockey card on their way in so there were thousands of these things ripped up or defaced with markers and very lewd suggestions littering the floors of the arena. and people threw them into the long trough that served as a big communal urinal in the men’s room, which then flooded. it was disgusting. but worth it to piss on andy van? again, i was nine, but it seemed perfectly ok to me at the time.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Surprised to see many people liked Bill McCreary. As an Oilers fan, I always thought he was the worst. I vaguely remember numerous botched calls, missed goals, invented penalties... McCreary remains the only ref I saw completely destroy an entire game and hand a win to the club that deserved to lose. I've never been able to remember exactly what game it was -- it was, like, an otherwise forgettable Edmonton @ Hartford game in 1988 or something -- but he invented a bunch of Edmonton penalties out of thin air, missed an obvious Glenn Anderson goal that clearly went over the line, called a Hartford goal in that didn't go in, called about 8 penalties in a row in the third to Edmonton, etc., etc. I think the Whalers were confused at the end of the game when they'd won.

It was such a different referee-era back in the 1970s to 1990s. Refs were alone out there, dealing with 18,000 pissed fans and two pissed coaches every night, while being verbally abused by every player on both teams.

Kerry Fraser's way of dealing with this was to basically choose one coach or the other to side with in every game. Fraser would then suffer endless abuse from one coach/bench while clearly favoring the other. But I guess he thought that was better than getting abuse from both.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Surprised to see many people liked Bill McCreary. As an Oilers fan, I always thought he was the worst. I vaguely remember numerous botched calls, missed goals, invented penalties... McCreary remains the only ref I saw completely destroy an entire game and hand a win to the club that deserved to lose. I've never been able to remember exactly what game it was -- it was, like, an otherwise forgettable Edmonton @ Hartford game in 1988 or something -- but he invented a bunch of Edmonton penalties out of thin air, missed an obvious Glenn Anderson goal that clearly went over the line, called a Hartford goal in that didn't go in, called about 8 penalties in a row in the third to Edmonton, etc., etc. I think the Whalers were confused at the end of the game when they'd won.

It was such a different referee-era back in the 1970s to 1990s. Refs were alone out there, dealing with 18,000 pissed fans and two pissed coaches every night, while being verbally abused by every player on both teams.

Kerry Fraser's way of dealing with this was to basically choose one coach or the other to side with in every game. Fraser would then suffer endless abuse from one coach/bench while clearly favoring the other. But I guess he thought that was better than getting abuse from both.

He referred 13 Cup Finals in a row. It’s not just fans that liked McReary. You’re on an island with this opinion.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He referred 13 Cup Finals in a row. It’s not just fans that liked McReary. You’re on an island with this opinion.

He's in the HHOF along with Van Hellemond.

Have to go back to John Ashely for the last ref before them.

Worst :

Stephane Auger
Terry Gregson
Andy Van Hellemond (who is also quite likely the NHL's Tim Donaghy but successfully swept under the rug)

Best :

Bill McCreary
Don Van Massenhoven
Wes McCauley

Gregson (along with Art Skov) seemed to have it in for my Bruins.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think devorski was a good one.

I mentioned Gregson as the one that got on my nerves from that era, and Chris Lee who still seems to be in way over his head all these years later.

Kerry fraser is a great storyteller if you ever find him on a podcast, but I was not a fan of his. He does reference how he let his his personal feelings get in the way of calling games, which I did get a sense of as well from time to time during his games.

McCreary was also hot tempered at times, which seemgonly affected his ability to call things down the middle, but he was less prone to agendas than Fraser IMO.

Last edited:

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Wow, I just read about Andy Van Hellemond's gambling problem. I had no idea about that. In Rock Em Sock Em II Don Cherry called him the worst ref he'd ever seen but I figured that just meant he called too many penalties against the Bruins or something.

For a long time I thought Bill McCreary the ref was the same guy who played for the Maple Leafs and laid out Wayne Gretzky on his last NHL shift in 1981.

Reactions: double5son10

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
For a long time I thought Bill McCreary the ref was the same guy who played for the Maple Leafs and laid out Wayne Gretzky on his last NHL shift in 1981.
It wasn't his last NHL shift. It was game 2 of 12 games he played in his career.

Okay.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Bryan Lewis was the upstairs replay official in charge of the review on Brett Hull's NO GOAL play in triple OT in 1999. The fact that he was forced out of the league the next year and made the scapegoat in the whole affair, makes me feel bad for the guy. But still, he's my least favorite official. It was too big a mistake.

Don Koharski was pretty solid. He was famous for the Soviets requesting him for games vs. Canada because he was thought to be so even-handed.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad