Your expectations for the 2014-2015 Ottawa Senators

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And we were 6 losses away from being bottom 3 in the league. Plus, 100 points isn't what it used to be, with so many 3 point games. 85 points is basically a BAD team.

The problem is, with essentially the same roster minus the Spezza and Legwand swap, there is really no major reason to think we will have improved in those areas. With Spezza gone, it's probably reasonable to think out PP will take a minor step back too, although Legwand will probably help the 2nd unit. And while hopefully we will improve in some of those areas, we could also take a step back in other areas. What if Anderson has a bad year? What if Turris has a horrible slump? Or Karlsson gets a nagging injury that limits his impact? Expecting the ball to simple bounce better for you next year without rationale on why it will is being a bit naïve.

Last year, Spezza was a huge liability at ES for most of the year, and as you mentioned, Legwand (and Chiasson for that matter) are both good on the PP to help mitagate his loss. Anderson did have a bad year, so even if he's bad this year, no difference, and Karlsson did have a injury affecting his play for most if not all the season. He should be considerably better to start this year. Ryan hopefully will be healthy, too, so there that as well. Turris could slump, and Zibanejad could explode in his expanded role, if he doesn't, Legwand should be able to step up.

Overall, this team is no more talented than the team that was well out of the playoffs last year, BUT, I am hoping the team can find a similar identity to the pesky Sens of two years ago. That team was obviously buoyed by some crazy good goaltending, but overall, we want to become a tough and grinding team to play against, with consistent effort and flow from every line. And it's not like this team is without significant talent. We're arguably middle of the road talent-wise. But if we can establish that type of team persona we had going for us previously, we have a chance at being a playoff team, but more importantly, will set the stage for better things in the years ahead as some of our younger guys develop into bigger impact players. Our young core is pretty solid and set. There is reason for optimism long-term.

We lack the high end talent of Spezza, but have potentially replaced DaCosta/Pageau/Conacher from our opening night roster with Stone, Chiasson, and Hoffman. I think the latter group is significantly stronger myself (not to mention Zibanejad likely doesn't spend time in the AHL this year).

BigBush*

The problem is, with essentially the same roster minus the Spezza and Legwand swap, there is really no major reason to think we will have improved in those areas. With Spezza gone, it's probably reasonable to think out PP will take a minor step back too, although Legwand will probably help the 2nd unit. And while hopefully we will improve in some of those areas, we could also take a step back in other areas. What if Anderson has a bad year? What if Turris has a horrible slump? Or Karlsson gets a nagging injury that limits his impact? Expecting the ball to simple bounce better for you next year without rationale on why it will is being a bit naïve.

Overall, this team is no more talented than the team that was well out of the playoffs last year, BUT, I am hoping the team can find a similar identity to the pesky Sens of two years ago. That team was obviously buoyed by some crazy good goaltending, but overall, we want to become a tough and grinding team to play against, with consistent effort and flow from every line. And it's not like this team is without significant talent. We're arguably middle of the road talent-wise. But if we can establish that type of team persona we had going for us previously, we have a chance at being a playoff team, but more importantly, will set the stage for better things in the years ahead as some of our younger guys develop into bigger impact players. Our young core is pretty solid and set. There is reason for optimism long-term.

I definitely agree with what your saying, although the roster isn't the same at all.
There's been a lot of changes in the forwards. I see a much bigger and more defensive team than last year that will hopefully help out our young D.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
And we were 6 losses away from being bottom 3 in the league. Plus, 100 points isn't what it used to be, with so many 3 point games. 85 points is basically a BAD team.

Well I think the consensus among fans was that they played just about as bad as we could have with the group we had. For you to say we were 6 losses away from being bottom 3 in the league implies that we could have been even worse than we were.

I don't get this point of view. Expecting the ball to simply bounce better for you is being naive but expecting the worst possible outcomes across the board is logical???

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We'll be better by virtue of being a better two way team and being harder working than we were last year.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
The problem is we really have no idea what we have in terms of this years Sens. There are so many questions marks that will only be answered as the season unfolds.

Can Mark Stone be a legit top six winger? Same with Hoffman and Puemple. Can the team demonstrate a stronger commitment to team defense? Can Mika step up and be the number two center? Can Anderson and Lehner rebound from last year? Do we have a legit top line?

So many questions but looking forward to the answers.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If Zibanejad and Chiasson perform at forward and Cowen and Ceci perform at D, we're set.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
Anywhere between 10 and 20. Boston and Tampa will make it for sure, so us, Toronto, Montreal and Detroit are battling for two spots pretty much, ignoring the wild card complications.

Turris, Ryan and Mac are all basically locks for 20, and all could get 30. Ryan could even get 40 with some puck luck and no injury trouble. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Karlsson, Stone, Chiasson and Zibanejad get 20. Michalek and Legwand both have outside shots at it. Potentially 9 20 scorers, and very likely at least 4 or 5.

If Cowen steps it up, Ceci improves, Lehner plays well enough to take the top job, we're definitely looking at a very strong two-way team.

That's the best case scenario.

We could run into more injury troubles. Ryan's back, Anderson's leg, Karlsson's achilles might not be fully healed, Cowen's had some leg problems, Michalek's had some everything problems...

Cowen might continue on his downward spiral, Ceci might sophomore slump, Karlsson might struggle defensively, Lehner's had some problems.

There's a world of possibilities and we're one of the most diificult teams to predict in the entire league. But as long as Maclean doesn't continue playing the GSN line like they're the pizza line, I see no reason we won't be in the playoffs.

darkbrew*

as a non sens fan in ottawa I think anything other than bubble team is crazy. I see the sens 10 to 12th and missing by 5 to 8 points

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Already called them on being a bubble team and I'm leaning more toward a strong bubble team at that.

Everyone outside of Ottawa looks at the stat sheet, sees Spezza gone and are convinced they will be at the bottom. Those who watched this team objectively should know that his absence well actually make this team better. His offense COST the Sens more defense than it returned and badly at that. Every player on the team with the exception of a few small sample sizes had better numbers playing without him.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Other teams can run in to injury troubles as well. Not only Sens. Are Boston PO team without Chara, Bergeron ? I dont think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad