Your expectations for the 2014-2015 Ottawa Senators

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
In: Chiasson, Legwand, Borowiecki, Stone, Hoffman
Out: Spezza, DaCosta, Kassain, Corvo, Conacher, Hemsky

Last years positives.
-Karlsson recovered from injury to continue to be a dynamic national hockey league force
-MacArthur played well beyond what was expected and cemented himself as a top 6 winger on this team, possibly the best winger.
-Turris broke out in a big way scoring 26 goals and nearly 60 points
-Zibanejad being on pace for or nearly on pace for 20 goals well having one absolutely dominating week.
-Decent offense
-Finished the season strongest out of all NHL teams
-2nd place Canadian team
-No major injuries

Last years negatives
-Led league in undisciplined play even after the coach called out the team several times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GceI-BVVxc8
-Constant defensive break downs
-Only one real solid line
-Huge collapses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR2u81ZnyMU
-No first round pick

So what are your expectations?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm expecting the forwards to be fine and the goaltending to be much better.

The D will improve. However, the issue is the D can all individually improve and still not be strong enough to make the playoffs.

We're a bubble team, and I think the plusses are greater than the negatives so I predict we squeak into the playoffs.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The team's fate depends on Zibanejad and Cowen. If those two step up, this team will be a safe playoff team and will challenge for division. Zibanejad and Cowen make Karlsson and Turris' job easier and allows them to dominate in higher fashion. Thus the rest of the team is more dynamic in every way.

I'm gonna say bubble as a safe option cause I think if Karlsson is better than last year, this team is a playoff team.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa is definitely a bubble team this year. I could only hope for a wild card position at least. Won't be totally upset if they are unable to qualify for the playoffs.

To obtain success this year, it will come down to the defence. If we have the same kind of results as last year, then you can probably expect the team to not contend. Methot and Karlsson should be fine but after that you have to hope for big seasons from Cowen, Ceci, and company in D.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
If the team buys back into their identity as a hard-working, lunch pail, 2way, tight checking, responable, 5manunit team, then I feel they will be very competative.

As other posters mentioned growth of certain players are key. It is also important to note that we cannot afford players vets Macaurthur, turris or michalek to regress substantially.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
The team's fate depends on Zibanejad and Cowen.

Zibanejad was doubled over on the bench after a couple of windsprints the other day, puking. No one else was even sweating.

Guy's overweight, unfocused, and lacks the professionalism to step up into the role the Sens need him to play in.

As for Cowen, he is literally the Chris Phillips protoype. He'll spend ten years here, and never do anything overly positive to stand out.

This team is not a playoff team, but might make the playoffs because of the East being meh.

:shakehead

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Bubble team for sure. If everyone does their part, we'll be good. One or two major injuries, and we're done. For example, if we lose Turris for an extended period of time, we're royally screwed.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Despite what everyone on the main boards thinks about us, we are a bubble team. The only two teams that are locks for the playoffs in the east are Boston and Pittsburgh. The only team that is a lock for the basement is Buffalo in the east. The rest of the teams in the east are just teams that can either make the playoffs or miss it.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Zibanejad was doubled over on the bench after a couple of windsprints the other day, puking. No one else was even sweating.

Guy's overweight, unfocused, and lacks the professionalism to step up into the role the Sens need him to play in.

As for Cowen, he is literally the Chris Phillips protoype. He'll spend ten years here, and never do anything overly positive to stand out.

This team is not a playoff team, but might make the playoffs because of the East being meh.

Out of idle curiosity, have you ever made an accurate post on these boards? I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it is hard because I haven't seen one.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Haha what? First I've heard of this.

#shouldhavedraftedcouturier:sarcasm:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I read another report on twitter that said otherwise. He gained muscle, looks like a man and more dynamic.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Out of idle curiosity, have you ever made an accurate post on these boards? I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it is hard because I haven't seen one.

If you really want to know, all you have to do is go and look at all of his posts.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
I think Chiasson will surprise, as will Legwand. Zib will also have a breakout season, and our goaltending will be better than last year (Andy in ~.915-920) however, I think our defense will still be suspect.

ErikNorrisson

Mar 22, 2012
I think we'll miss the playoffs but we will have potential to be a bubble team. If/when we're a bubble team then I think we have potential to be a playoff team. But right now, I'm thinking 6th in the division.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think we'll sneak into the playoffs in a wildcard position.

If the team goes back to playing a 200 foot game and our goaltending numbers revert back to their averages, we should be fine. I'm not of the opinion that our offense got worse with Spezza leaving. All our young NHL forwards will progress enough to make up the difference between Spezza and Legwand, and I'm a huge fan of Mark Stone; I think he'll step in and immediately put up 40-50 points.

I just hope we don't finish in the 10th-15th range - too good to get a top prospect, but not good enough to make the playoffs.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Zero expectations. Miss the playoffs? Cool. Make the playoffs? Awesome.

East is wide open. Only Boston and Pittsburgh are above mediocre. Sens can finish anywhere.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The-Great-Gatsby-Toast.gif

Hahaha, i love the presidents torphy vote.

Well done sir. :handclap:

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Bubble team. Everyone's expectations are low and every time people are expecting us to finish in bottom 5, we usually have a pretty good season.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
I just want the hard-working team mentality from 2 years ago back. That was entertaining hockey.

BigBush*

I expect Ottawa to make the playoffs. I also expect management to be active. If the team is doing well i hope they make some trades to strengthen the team. But if they are in a bad spot come Christmas and it looks like theyre out of the race, make some trades for draft picks to help secure a top pick.
this would be a bad year for Ottawa to just not make the playoffs and not get a high draft pick

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

You mean in Ottawa, in that case, my bad

Last edited:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

Oh lord. I think some people forget how good Phillips was for us. The Hockey News picked him to win the Norris in 07-08.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00