Your D pairings when/if all are healthy

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We have absolutely nothing in the pipeline for LHD. It's very concerning. And if we are a wildcard team, I highly doubt we could get a McAvoy.

We're fine for the next couple of years. Our oldest dman is Shea Weber at 32, then Benn and Schlemko are 30.

And say what you want about Timmins, but he's been one of the best in the league at finding dmen in the draft:

McDonagh Subban
Streit Sergachev
Mete Emelin
Beaulieu Weber

On the way Juulsen, Lernout are righties. From last year's draft, Walford and Tyszka shout left. But I don't know if they can play.

Basically, I'm comfortable with this organization in nets, on d and on the wings. We're sorely, sorely lacking at center, specifically #1 or top six centers. That's our biggest weakness that we should sacrifice other positions to fill

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
We need a young LHD with great potential. Whether it be Dahlin or not, it's a very important need.

Sure, but I was responding to your post stating you really want Dahlin and my response was...that's not happening. Might as well stop thinking about that now and move on to a different defenseman.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Sergachev is a left hand shot, he plays both LD and RD but has been playing LD in Tampa, but again he is a left shot.

I agree the one time is a big plus in the o-zone when playing your offside, but the cons are that its tougher to keep the puck in at the blue line when the other teams tries to clear it off the boards.

Only twice can I can do in recently history where a right hand played the Left side..

Alex Pietangelo for the world cup played LD because Team Canada had Weber/Doughty/Burns on RD.

And funny is Nashville tried Jones-Weber as a pair for abit early in with Jones playing LD, but they moved a lot from it very quick.

Yes and they say Europeans tend to not mind playing either side. Although Sergachev is a left d, he does prefer his off side. Weber probably wouldn't. Nashville should have tried Weber on the left side, lol

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Bobby Mac says the Habs might be close to trading a defensemen, and we know that Davidson has been made available so I assume he's gone for next to nothing. The next question will be what do they do with Mete. Imo he has to play at least 50% of the time, if not then send him back to the OHL.

If Mete and Davidson are gone,

Jerabek Weber
Schlemko Petry
Alzner Benn
Morrow

If everyone was healthy they could sit Alzner from time to time to get Morrow some games while giving Alzner a little rest here and there. Not sure they would do that since he's our #3 in TOI so far but seems like a good idea when we face weaker teams as Morrow can bring the offense but stinks in his own end.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Jerabek - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

Could swap Alzner and Schlemko depending on chemistry

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bobby Mac says the Habs might be close to trading a defensemen, and we know that Davidson has been made available so I assume he's gone for next to nothing. The next question will be what do they do with Mete. Imo he has to play at least 50% of the time, if not then send him back to the OHL.

If Mete and Davidson are gone,

Jerabek Weber
Schlemko Petry
Alzner Benn
Morrow

If everyone was healthy they could sit Alzner from time to time to get Morrow some games while giving Alzner a little rest here and there. Not sure they would do that since he's our #3 in TOI so far but seems like a good idea when we face weaker teams as Morrow can bring the offense but stinks in his own end.

If Davidson gets traded, and Mete gets sent back to junior, I am apprehensive about carrying 7 d, as you are 2 injuries away from the unknown, calling up Lernout. 3 injuries and it is either Taormina or Juulsen, who has not played much, and probably will take time just to get back to speed, or Deslauriers. I think it is safe to carry 13 forwards, and call up from Laval.

I think Mete goes to the WJHC, but I think he should come back. His play is not terrible, but it is inexperienced.

I would be comfortable with

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Jerabek
Morrow-Benn

With Julien being able to run just 4 Schlemko-Weber, Alzner-Petry in the crunch times. Julien can shelter Mete in the home games. It gives coach the opportunity to test out Jerabek on both special teams: if he struggles in either facet, Morrow (PP) or Benn (PK) can jump in for either player. Mete may not play regularly, but having 8 d, allows them all to stay fresh during the season. Creates competition and scrutiny instead of complancy.

However if Mete was sent back to junior to bring Carr up to stay, I wouldn't complain either.

Perhaps Davidson being moved gives some one else an opportunity. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up on waivers. He could help Laval too, in supplanting Gelinas.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If this team is going to make the playoffs, whoever is on the top pairing with Weber will need to produce so if it's Mete he's going to have to step up the production. If it's Jerabek he's going to need to show he can put up some points as well.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think we're starting to see what this D core is capable of being. Schlemko and Jerabek have been awesome, Alzner and Petry are playing like a legit top pairing, and this is without even mentioning are #1 Weber, and the young stud Mete. Heck even Benn is playing solidly. I think I'm in the camp of sending Mete down, let him play the WJC and then judge from there. Assuming we stay healthy I'd probably keep him in junior and start him off in the AHL next year. Having him be paired with Juulson would be amazing, as I think they'd complement each other beautifully, and we'd essentially be grooming a top 4 caliber pairing for the next decade. The reason for doing this is because even though Mete has been super impressive, and is playing NHL caliber hockey, I really want him to focus on being more of a dominant force offensively. He's playing a super safe game right now, and while effective, this is not what we want him to be. The guy is still super young and ideally he starts tearing up the AHL next year and forces our hand to trade someone like Benn. So in essence, for the next calender year, I want to see:

Schlemko-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Benn/Jerabek
(Morrow)

By next trade deadline, assuming Mete and Juulson are forcing our hand, I'd look to trade both Benn and Schlemko and roll with

Jerabek-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Mete-Juulson

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Obviously this team doesn't need Weber at all, can't stop winning since he's been injured. It's time to get the max for him while he still has some value. It's not like this team is close to be a contender for the Cup anyway.

Put them in any orders, whatever happens, it's all good.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Obviously this team doesn't need Weber at all, can't stop winning since he's been injured. It's time to get the max for him while he still has some value. It's not like this team is close to be a contender for the Cup anyway.

Put them in any orders, whatever happens, it's all good.
I'd trade Weber for a young stud Center like a Draisaitil or a Barzal, but otherwise no way.

Johnny31

Aug 4, 2017
What I'd love to see is

Shlemko - Weber
Jerabek- Petry
Mete/ morrow - Benn

Alzner in the ECHL for the lol

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Alzner-Petry have been playing like a legit first pairing lately and for tough minutes too. Breaking them up would be crazy. I know they were a tire fire early on, but they've clearly adjusted.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
mete - weber
alzner - petry
jerabek - schlemko
benn
morrow

until the world juniors than mete goes to team canada, try jerabek with weber and when mete comes back he's with schlemko on the 3rd pairing to prepare for the playoffs (yes they're going to make it)

so for the seconf half of the season and the playoffs:
jerabek - weber
alzner - petry
mete - schlemko
benn
morrow

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Before TDL:

Schlemko-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Jerabek-Benn

After TDL:

Schlemko-Weber
(wishful thinking - quality D, pending UFA)-Petry
Jerabek-Benn

2018-19:

Mete-Weber
Schlemko-Petry
Jerabek-Juulsen or Lernout depending on progression

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Alzner-Petry have been playing like a legit first pairing lately and for tough minutes too. Breaking them up would be crazy. I know they were a tire fire early on, but they've clearly adjusted.
or maybe, just maybe... they're on a good stretch ? ? ?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Before TDL:

Schlemko-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Jerabek-Benn

After TDL:

Schlemko-Weber
(wishful thinking - quality D, pending UFA)-Petry
Jerabek-Benn

2018-19:

Mete-Weber
Schlemko-Petry
Jerabek-Juulsen or Lernout depending on progression

The good thing is we have 8 dman that seem to be NHL dmen (imo Davidson is not). That gives us not only depth in case of injury, but also time to find the top 6 and the best pairings chemistry wise.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Or maybe, just maybe... it took them a bit of time to find chemistry?

Both of these maybes are legit possibilities. Maybe they're just on a hot streak/lucky streak. May they took a bit of time to find chemistry/get used to the system, etc...

Only a little bit more time will tell, probably the next 25 games will be sufficient.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Both of these maybes are legit possibilities. Maybe they're just on a hot streak/lucky streak. May they took a bit of time to find chemistry/get used to the system, etc...

Only a little bit more time will tell, probably the next 25 games will be sufficient.
Petry is a streaky player, but I think the found chemistry is legit.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

et voila!

Habs (players and as a team) sucked, then played well (had a stretch of 5-2 or something), then sucked again, and now they're on a 4W streak...

I mean, THIS time it's right, they won't slide (again) in the next few ? meh... I'll wait before saying we're "safe" now...

it applies fo team and individuals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad