Your country's most disappointing World Juniors

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
Your post, (which is ridiculous, and I'll explain why) is based around this idea of mutually exclusive nonsense.

This is a 10 team tournament, where 5 countries can ever expect to win gold, and 3 of them every year at this point (Canada, Sweden, and USA). Fans of these teams are always expecting gold because the field is so limited. Just because Swedish fans can also feel significant disappointment at their result doesn't mean Canadian fans can't also feel a sense of major disappointment for falling short in the same event. You completely lost me with your argument on that one.

Other than that, you're trying to start a fight over the word "major", and have overreacted in a rather extreme manner to do so. Again, I'm not one for the whole internet flexing thing, so you may want to try your luck elsewhere with that one.

"Just because Swedish fans can also feel significant disappointment at their result doesn't mean Canadian fans can't also feel a sense of major disappointment for falling short in the same event" Now you are just purposely trying to misunderstand my argument. I was going to explain it again but then I remembered that you are probably just trolling at this point.

Anyway, Im not trying to flex. At least not more than you were when you said that all events where Canada don't win gold is a major disappointment. That's got to be the flexiest thing I have ever read. It was not only the MAJOR word that made your post so flexy. It was that you made it seem like not winning was embarrassing.

The only one who is overreacting is you. Calling me clueless and saying that I'm overreacting in an extreme manner! Extreme manner? Me?

You could have just said. "well yeah, thats how seriously I take this tournament" and everything would have been fine. Instead, you overreact in the highest of paramount ways by calling me clueless and trying to school me about this and that.

I didn't even think that your comment was bad at all. I was just pointing out that its pretty funny that you feel a major disappointment 60-70% of every event, even though its probably true. You have to be extremely mindful about how you word things on this forum because of all the butthurtness.

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
Reactions: novisor

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB

I still have an irrational hatred of Jake Allen for playing like a sieve in that tournament and I maintain that if Martin Jones was the starter, Canada would've won another gold that year.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
"Just because Swedish fans can also feel significant disappointment at their result doesn't mean Canadian fans can't also feel a sense of major disappointment for falling short in the same event" Now you are just purposely trying to misunderstand my argument. I was going to explain it again but then I remembered that you are probably just trolling at this point.

Anyway, Im not trying to flex. At least not more than you were when you said that all events where Canada don't win gold is a major disappointment. That's got to be the flexiest thing I have ever read. It was not only the MAJOR word that made your post so flexy. It was that you made it seem like not winning was embarrassing.

The only one who is overreacting is you. Calling me clueless and saying that I'm overreacting in an extreme manner! Extreme manner? Me?

You could have just said. "well yeah, thats how seriously I take this tournament" and everything would have been fine. Instead, you overreact in the highest of paramount ways by calling me clueless and trying to school me about this and that.

I didn't even think that your comment was bad at all. I was just pointing out that its pretty funny that you feel a major disappointment 60-70% of every event, even though its probably true. You have to be extremely mindful about how you word things on this forum because of all the butthurtness.

Look, I think you need to calm down a bit. The pandemic is hard on everyone, I get it. But starting a big thing and overracting because you got triggered by a rather harmless and totally subjective adjective is a bit much.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Look, I think you need to calm down a bit. The pandemic is hard on everyone, I get it. But starting a big thing and overracting because you got triggered by a rather harmless and totally subjective adjective is a bit much.
You used it, and defended it's use & characterization. People simply pointed out that it makes less than no sense to categorize every Canadian loss as a major disappointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: snu22fint

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I would say Canada not winning gold IS a major disappointment every time it happens, but I would also say that it’s not a good idea to argue WJC heartbreak with a Swede. There is no country that has suffered more gut-wrenching losses than Sweden. They run the gamut from gold medal losses in OT to having back-to-back-to-back defeats in a gold medal game. 1993’s Peter Forsberg led team Sweden should go down as one of the best WJC teams of all-time, yet they got stymied by a Canadian goalie that stood on his head to steal a tournament deciding win. Sweden has lost in every way imaginable, and many of those coming with the team as the top seed after group play for now more than a decade straight. Fans of the World Juniors in Sweden know disappointment better than... anybody.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
yet they got stymied by a Canadian goalie that stood on his head to steal a tournament deciding win.

I'd say Markus Näslund's ugly slash and game misconduct in the game vs Canada played a big role too. Very frustrating loss for sure :/

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016

Nah, I'm calm. Didn't even get triggered when you called me clueless. Sweden has remained relatively open during all of this pendemic and I happen to work in a field where working from home is a breeze. The only close person I know who is in the risk category is my own grandmother of 96 years, who not only got the virus, she defeted it like it was nothing.

I get that you are trying to push the narritive that I was the one who overreacted and could not handle your comment when it in fact was the other way around. I made a comment, even though it was somewhat snarky, it wasn't ment to mock in any way, just pointing out the irony of feeling major dissapointment over something that is totally and perectly normal.

Reactions: novisor

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Nah, I'm calm. Didn't even get triggered when you called me clueless. Sweden has remained relatively open during all of this pendemic and I happen to work in a field where working from home is a breeze. The only close person I know who is in the risk category is my own grandmother of 96 years, who not only got the virus, she defeted it like it was nothing.

I get that you are trying to push the narritive that I was the one who overreacted and could not handle your comment when it in fact was the other way around. I made a comment, even though it was somewhat snarky, it wasn't ment to mock in any way, just pointing out the irony of feeling major dissapointment over something that is totally and perectly normal.

Sure, Jan. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your holidays.

Reactions: snu22fint

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Your post, (which is ridiculous, and I'll explain why) is based around this idea of mutually exclusive nonsense.

This is a 10 team tournament, where 5 countries can ever expect to win gold, and 3 of them every year at this point (Canada, Sweden, and USA). Fans of these teams are always expecting gold because the field is so limited. Just because Swedish fans can also feel significant disappointment at their result doesn't mean Canadian fans can't also feel a sense of major disappointment for falling short in the same event. You completely lost me with your argument on that one.

Other than that, you're trying to start a fight over the word "major", and have overreacted in a rather extreme manner to do so. Again, I'm not one for the whole internet flexing thing, so you may want to try your luck elsewhere with that one.
You have to add Russia to Canada,Usa and Sweden. They are at their level.look how many medals they have won in the last years and they are getting stronger and stronger in Overall Talent.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I'd say 2013 for Finland. Beating USA and Canada with impressive wins in exhibition games but the team ended up in the relegation round. That team had Korpisalo, Määttä, Ristolainen, Armia, Barkov, Lehkonen, Granlund jr and Teräväinen

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I would say Canada not winning gold IS a major disappointment every time it happens, but I would also say that it’s not a good idea to argue WJC heartbreak with a Swede. There is no country that has suffered more gut-wrenching losses than Sweden. They run the gamut from gold medal losses in OT to having back-to-back-to-back defeats in a gold medal game. 1993’s Peter Forsberg led team Sweden should go down as one of the best WJC teams of all-time, yet they got stymied by a Canadian goalie that stood on his head to steal a tournament deciding win. Sweden has lost in every way imaginable, and many of those coming with the team as the top seed after group play for now more than a decade straight. Fans of the World Juniors in Sweden know disappointment better than... anybody.

I can really feel for swedish fans here. They are going through the same as we finnish fans in the early 2000s when we waited a year after year after year that our senior team would finally take their second gold medal. Endless disappointments and near misses, allways choking in the final games. I have to admit that I have shed countless of tears as a hockey fan over the years. Allways thinking that "the next year will be ours" and then another disappointment follows.

Reactions: FinPanda and Statsy

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I can really feel for swedish fans here. They are going through the same as we finnish fans in the early 2000s when we waited a year after year after year that our senior team would finally take their second gold medal. Endless disappointments and near misses, allways choking in the final games. I have to admit that I have shed countless of tears as a hockey fan over the years. Allways thinking that "the next year will be ours" and then another disappointment follows.
No one including their dogs gave a chance for that 2019 team, lol.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
You have to add Russia to Canada,Usa and Sweden. They are at their level.look how many medals they have won in the last years and they are getting stronger and stronger in Overall Talent.

Yeah, I think going forward they'll be back in that discussion as the population spikes positively again for a lengthy period...about 15-20 years. They should be much better for the next 15 years until they hit another decline that falls in line with the significant population hits they still take from the period between the great depression and World War 2. That + the collapse of the Soviet Union explains why the 2010s were so bad for them as well, as less 90s babies meant significantly less talent to choose from in those age groups.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
The irony

:rolleyes:

c0e719bcdfab0082676d2249613cdbb9.gif

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
2011 Russia coming back to beat Canada and 2012 lockout "super team" that wasn't so super.

One was an epic collapse the other was high expectations.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
1992 Team Canada. Coming off the emotional 1991 win and being led by Lindros, Kariya and Neidermayer, that team should have been amazing. Finished sixth, never really competed, and showed no effort or chemistry whatsoever. A complete disaster.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Can you really be disappointed when you don't have any expectations?

I guess the closest I have come would be less about a disappointing result (relegation has to be expected every year), but more due to the way it happened.
In 2007 they started with an OT win against the US then they beat Slovakia, before losing to Canada and Sweden.
If they had managed to beat the US in regulation or if the Swedes had been able to help us out by beating the US in the final game, Germany would have made it to the quarterfinals,
But instead they went to the relegation round where they lost both games against Belarus and Switzerland and were relegated along with Belarus, while Slovakia avoided relegation by destroying Belarus 9-0.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad